This forum is a fantastic resource for programmers of all levels, from beginners looking to plug the gaps in their understanding to the adept who may still require help themselves from time to time.
Unfortunately, there seems to be a lingering feeling of anger and frustration from the regulars and I am interested in understanding why (hence the post).
I understand that from time to time, lazy questions can be asked on here that would only take a couple of minutes of Googling to discover by oneself. However, for the most part, questions and discussions on here seem to be directed towards gaining a better understanding of the software and increasing productivity and efficiency. So why the stress?
If you understand a concept that somebody else doesn't then power to you. But if somebody is genuinely struggling and trying their hardest to figure something out, then why should one feel anything but pleasure in pointing them in the right direction and helping to plug their gaps of understanding? Why is helping another considered a chore?
There appears to be a feeling of contempt from those in the know towards those who are new and need to ask questions. This mentality seems backwards. If you harbour such feelings, then I think the best future course of action would be to stop posting/replying on here. If you are a moderator and you hate it... just stop, life is too short!
Otherwise, let us all strive to help each other and make each other better programmers/traders rather than continuing to spread the mist of misery that hangs above this place on the daily!
Good luck to all.
The answer is in this remark of yours 'But if somebody is genuinely struggling and trying their hardest to figure something out'. The problem is that rarely 'somebody is genuinely struggling and trying their hardest to figure something out'. Most of the time they type a question, without having done the slightest search here in MQL5.com or online in general.
That's why some of the 'regulars' or moderators are having an attitude from time to time. They are tired of answering the same questions over and over again, day after day and they are frustrated by people who want everything easy on their plate. Also have in mind that moderator is not a paid job, so we are all giving valuble time from our busy day to help the members in this forum the best we can.
Okay that is a fair answer.
One question I would have off the back of that is why do you guys continue to moderate if you aren't being compensated for your work and are "tired of answering the same questions over and over again, day after day". That may sound like a loaded question but I am genuinely interested to know why you would carry on if you felt that way?
One thing to add also is that though to you guys it may seem that it's a rare occurrence for somebody to be genuinely struggling and trying their hardest to figure something out, I would suggest that the vast majority of people who use this resource week by week are here to learn, not to take the piss so to speak. Maybe this can seem to be rare if you are having to deal with it all day, but from the outside looking in, it doesn't seem/feel to be that way.
We moderate because we like being here and share our knowledge with newer members, but of course some of us we have other motives too, like learn from others or find a larger audience for our ventures.
I never get angry at a person who is really struggling to find something out, but believe this is rarely the case.
I have answered the same question 3 times in a day, because the 2nd and 3rd person, never bothered to check my previous answer to the same topic which is 4-5 threads behind in this forum.
Are you talking about yourself?Yes, somebody but it is exceptional case ... because the newbies as the majority did not read anything, did not use the search function of the forum and do nothing ... nothing ...And we are having repeated questions ...
To reply on some questions - I used the search function (which they do not want to use).
Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies
How can I search for indicators and other elements in this forum?
Sergey Golubev, 2017.05.29 05:24
To search?It is very easy: type something (what you need) in the search area (top right coprner of the page) and search.
We are having same freedom here: newbies and professional coders/traders/public moderators.So, it is the problem with communication between the users ... it is not a problem of the forum sorry.
strive?yes.if "force people to work/help/etc for free" so sorry: 'forcing people to work/help for free' is illegal in many countries ... So, it is the matter of the communication skills ...
As to newbies -
Just for newbies (if you are new to this website for example) - it is strongly recommended to read the following articles/posts/threads -
1. User Memo
How to Start with Metatrader 5
Sergey Golubev, 2016.12.30 17:26
How to Start with MT5, a summary !
Sergey Golubev, 2017.03.12 08:23
MQL5.COMMUNITY PAYMENT SYSTEM
Internal payment system was initially created in MQL5.community for payment of fees to authors of Articles. But the community's life does not stay still, and plenty of services, useful for traders and implying commodity-money relations between two parties, has emerged on the web-site since the launch of the payment system:
The most popular payment systems WebMoney and PayPal are integrated for deposit and withdrawal. U.S. dollars are used as the currency unit. Eventually we implemented other ways of depositing to MQL5.community account: these are common plastic cards (CommerceGate), handy and rapid system not requiring additional confirmation (Neteller), and a solution oriented towards users from China (Netbanx).
2. How to make a search on the forum/mql5 portal
Where Do I start from?
Sergey Golubev, 2017.07.25 15:47
How to search:
How to make a search on the forumhttps://www.mql5.com/en/forum/193510
3.1. How to Start with MT5, a summary ! (incl the previous thread:How to start with MetaTrader and forex, the beginning) MetaTrader 4 Help - Client Terminal – User Guide MetaTrader 5 Help - Trading Platform — User Manual
3.2. All (not yet) about Strategy Tester, Optimization and Cloud
3.3. ASCTREND SYSTEM summary (incl 2 good EAs)
3.4. BRAINTRADING SYSTEM HowTo
3.5. PriceChannel Parabolic system (incl 2 versions of the EA)
3.6. Market Condition Evaluation (2 EAs were created)
3.8. Financial and trading videos - Table of Contents
3.9. All about Calendar tab and Macro Economic Events
3.10 All about MQL5 Wizard : create robots without programming
4. First key article:MetaTrader 5 - More Than You Can Imagine!
5. The second key article:Limitless Opportunities with MetaTrader 5 and MQL5
6. How to add the broker to MT5:
6.1. MetaTrader 5 Help - Open an Account
6.2. MetaTrader 5 Android OS Help - Opening a Demo Account
6.3. MetaTrader 5 iPhone/iPad Help - Connecting to an Account and Opening a Demo Account
9. MQL5 VPS for MT4/MT5
9.1. How to subscribe to VPS https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/187872#comment_4851530
9.2. You can move your VPS subscription from one account to another https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/172120#comment_4166892
9.3. MQL5 VPS descriptionhttps://www.mql5.com/en/forum/172553#comment_4185979
9.4. Monitor VPS https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/188920#comment_4800677
9.5. Synchronize - https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/211508
10.1. Find a Server by the Broker's Name:https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/9950/page88#comment_3981953 https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/214820
10.2. Help for beginnershttps://www.mql5.com/en/forum/214904
10.3. US brokershttps://www.mql5.com/en/forum/12423/page500#comment_4736742
11. Promotion:https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/9950/page88#comment_3982032 https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/9950/page88#comment_3982030 https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/9950/page88#comment_3982036
12. Freelance, decompilation, the rules, examples of the decompiled code:https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/203200
13. General rules and best pratices of the Forum
13.1. Thread with the discussion
13.2. Forum rules
14. The thread about threads: what's going around the forum everywhere Good thread if you are looking for something new and modern (and free one)
15. MT5, mql5, mql5.com suggestions for improvement thread
16. How to subscribe to topic or invite a person into the topic - the thread
17. I just downloaded MT5 I am not sure how to pull up Cryptos - the thread.
18. Club of telepaths- the post in eng forum and the thread in rus thread.
19. How to host an automated trading robot on Metatrader(how to attach EA to the chart for trading)https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/238562#comment_7158340
20. Automatic translation featurehttps://www.mql5.com/en/forum/13348
21. How to download free Indicator and instal it on Metatraderhttps://www.mql5.com/en/forum/261958
As I understand topic starter - it is not about money.It is about the following:
We are having the threads where newbies are asking - "how to attach indicator/EA to the chart?" ... anyone (any of you) explain in polite way (by images) for example during the few times in a week? no one? ...
automated trading robot
Eleni Anna Branou, 2018.04.19 11:43
1. Open your MT4 platform.
2. Open the chart of the instrument that you want to trade with (currency, stock, commodity or index).
3. Copy the .ex4 file of your expert advisor (I believe this is what you call automated trading robot) and paste it in the: File >> Open Data Folder >> MQL4 >> Experts folder of your MT4 platform.
4. Right click on the Refresh option of your Experts Advisors folder in the MT4 Navigator window.
5. Click on the Experts Advisors folder, find the expert you've just inserted and drag it on the chart that you want to use it with.
6. A window with the Expert Advisor's setting will be opened and there you can fill all the parameters of your "robot".
7. Don't forget to tick the: Allow live trading in the Common tab of your Expert's settings.
8. Close the settings window and if you want to begin trading with your Expert Advisor, click the: Auto Trading button of your MT4 platform.
9. If you see a happy smiling face in the upper right corner of your chart, then you are OK.
10. If you want to avoid internet and power outages, it is strongly recommended to use a VPS service for your automated trading.
So, do not complain please.----------------
Be good to the community, and the community will be good with you.
This is the exact sort of behaviour I am referring to. The purpose of this post was to try and gauge an understanding of how you guys actually feel and why there is hostility. There is no need to reply with such anger my friend. Just state your opinion and we can have a discussion like grown ups, there is no need to speak to me in such a negative way for simply asking an open question. You could have answered the same question with much fairer language, but unfortunately the mist of anger I referred to at the start of this post rises again. Why can't we speak to each other like adults?
I understand your frustration and if you stay here to help others despite your frustrations then fair play to you. One thing also to add is that you perception may be skewed towards the negative side because things that are obvious to you (due to your experience) may not be obvious to others (due to their lack of), so this may be leading you to the conclusion that every question is a stupid question (the only stupid question is no question).
But in regards to having to answer the same question 3 times a day, I understand your frustration and will in future go to extra lengths to ensure that my question is not a duplicate before posting.
All the best.
I think you are perceiving something which doesn't exist here. I read Sergey's post 3 times, and I can't understand where you see "hostility" or "anger" or "negative way" ? Sergey is the most nice guy here.
Why/where did you see stress and anger at the first place to start this topic ?