NY Close Scalper
Before you buy a night scalper please be aware of the risks involved:
1) Past performance is no guarantee of future profitability (the EA could also make losses).
2) The backtests shown (e.g. in screenshots) are highly optimized to find the best parameters but therefore do not give a realistic prediction of future profitability.
3) Any mean reversion can get caught on the wrong side of a fast movements due to unexpected news or flash crashes. This strategy will always use a stop loss, but still execution of the SL depends on your broker.
4) Night scalpers are dependent on good brokerage conditions, like low spread and slippage, which might be worse on high lot sizes.
This is a mean reversion strategy around the close of the New York session. It does not use martingale or grid and uses fixed stop losses for every position.
Symbols: EURUSD, GBPUSD, EURCHF, USDCHF, USDCAD, EURAUD, EURCAD
Time frame: M5
Max. drawdown in 16 year backtest: $56 per 0.01
Please read the blog post for instructions on how to set up the EA.
Because the EA will trade around the New York close time (16:00 - 18:00 New York time), the GMT time will be different in summer compared to winter (DST: daylight saving time). But the EA has daylight saving times stored internally, so there is no need to adjust the trading hours manually.
The EA should run on a VPS continuously without interruption (also Friday evening) to store the historic data.
Please allow web requests to the following URLs for the calendar news filter and automatic GMT offset calculation:
- http://breaking.fxdata.cc (only needed if you use the breaking news filter)
For backtest it is important to have the correct GMT settings. Ideally, backtests should be done with Tick Data Suite GMT+2 with US DST.
Because this strategy is trading around swap time the spread can be very large. It is important to use real spread in backtesting and not some fixed spread. But be aware that the spread can be very different between brokers at that time.
The EA should be turned off on days of important events, for example general elections in UK, US or Europe!
- dailyEquityStopPercentage: IMPORTANT: please read point 6 in the blog post.
- orderComment - Each trade will show this comment in history tab.
- magicNumber - individual magic number. The EA will only manage position of the chart symbol with this magic number.
- lotType - "fixed" or "increasing", where the lot size is calculated automatically.
- fixLots - fixed lot size in case lotType = fixed.
- lotStep - how much the lot size should be increased every equityPerStep (if lotType = increasing).
- equityHardStop - if the equity falls below that level the EA will close open positions (only of this strategy) and will not open any new positions.
- pipInPoints - for 5-digit brokers, this should be 10, for 4-digit brokers 1.
- slippagePoints - Slippage used in OrderSend() function (points, not pips).
- maxSpreadPips - maximum spread allowed for entry. If smaller 0, auto settings will be used, which are different for each
- liveGMToffset - To set GMT offset manually. Usually this is not needed.
- skipSunday - if true the EA will not open positions on Sunday (GMT).
- startHourGMT - when to start trading (GMT).
- endHourGMT - when to stop trading (GMT).
- waitMinutesBetweenSameSideEntry- After a buy position another buy position will only be allowed after the given time. Same for sell positions. If you are sleeping during the trading hours you could limit the potential total risk with this parameter. If the last hour was a loss the EA will automatically increase waitMinutesBetweenEntries by 15 minutes.
- dontTradeTripleNegativeSwap - If true, the EA will not open trades on before swapHourGMT when the swap is negative on days with triple swap rate.
- tripleSwapDay - Day at which tripple swap is applied. On most borkers it is Wednesday.
- swapHourGMT - Swap hour used if dontTradeWednesdayNegativeSwap=true.
- testerGMToffset - Only needed for tester because GMT time is not defined in tester and your bar data might have a GMT offset.
Please also have a look at the "What's new" tab for additional parameters.
- DST check will be done only every new day to speed up the calculations.
Changes for the new version:
- The old auto GMT solution would not work for brokers with EU DST. The new one will check the GMT offset when both EU and US DST changes.
- The Japanese holiday filter on Sundays will now only filter JPY and CHF since those are the most risky currencies with regards to flash crashes.
- Added a function to calculate DST, which should be correct until 2099.
I use this for GBPUSD until Brexit is decided. I don't use it for other pairs.
I also did some internal optimizations, for example to make the file size smaller and the backtest a bit faster.
IMPORTANT: This will also be the case if you withdraw some of the money. This option will be ignored if the margin is not enough to cover the previous lot size.
- Added parameters waitMinutesAfterLargeLoss and lossFractionOfSL. If a loss was larger than lossFractionOfSL times the normal SL, then new trades are not allowed for a duration of waitMinutesAfterLargeLoss minutes.
- Slippage is now saved in one file for all charts with the same magic number, so that the average over all pairs is shown on the chart.
- The maxSpreadPips settings were changed. Now every used symbol will have its own max spread value derived from optimizations.
- Added a parameter stopLoss for those who want to define an own value or do some optimizations.
- Changed the DST tester settings. Now there is a parameter testerDataHasDST. Set it true if you want to backtest on data with DST, like GMT+2/+3 time zone.
1) Version 2.0 will not be able to read historic data files from earlier version. Therefore, if you don't want to miss a trading day please upgrade during the morning of a weekday (not weekend).
2) Please check that the new parameter dailyEquityStopPercentage is correct for your risk settings. The EAs will stop trading and close open positions if the equity falls below this level (in percent) compared to the equity at 17 GMT (or at initialization if initialized afterwards). If you withdrew or deposited money after 17 GMT it would cause this logic to not work correctly. Please see the blog post for more information:
- There are also default settings for two new pairs, USDCAD and EURAUD.
Backtests can be found in the blog post. They look good, but I only started to test them live in 2019. Therefore, I will only use them on small risk and also not on all signals.
- The EA will now use news filter on all symbols, but with shorter pause times after events compared to NightWalker.
- Added exitLossesOnStockMarketCrashTrigger parameter. Set it to true if you want the EA to close filled positions when the crash filter triggers. Default is false.
- Added parameters stopDayDecember and startDayJanuary so that users can decide whether or not to pause trading during the low liquidity period around New Year.
- Added a new parameter maxPercentageIncrease to prevent trading on days with an extreme increase in stock market during the last 8 hours (0 = auto settings for each pair).
stockIndexSymbol - Here you have to insert the symbol for the S&P500 index, which is used for this filter. The default is set for ICMarkets where it is called "US500", but it might be different on your broker. To disable this filter, set the parameter to an empty string.
maxPercentageDecline - In case you want to set your own value. If it is 0, auto settings will be used, which are different for each pair in the range of 1.3 to 2.2 percent.
The EA has historic SP500 data stored internally, so it will also work on backtest (until the date of the last update). You don't have to change the stockIndexSymbol for backtests.
dontTradeWednesdayNegativeSwap - true if you want to avoid trading in the direction of negative tripple swap.
trippleSwapDay - Day at which tripple swap is applied. On most borkers it is Wednesday.
swapHourGMT - Time of swap in winter (GMT+0), in summer it will be automatically adjusted with DST.
Be aware that the EA will always reload the historic data if it is not older than a few days. So if you intend to stop the EA for a day during the week (when the market is open), you might want to delete the historic data in the directory \MQL4\Files\NYCloseScalper_history before restarting it to prevent loading data that is too old.
- Added a parameter liveGMToffset so that those who have problems with time zone settings of their VPS can chose GMT offset manually.
- Для расчета часового пояса по GMT используется часовой пояс терминала MetaTrader 4, которое зависит от локального времени компьютера.
- Используется время брокера MetaTrader 4 для получения минут и секунд (поскольку локальное время компьютера может отличаться на несколько секунд или более).
- При подключении к серверу брокера проводится единовременная проверка на корректность часового пояса терминала MetaTrader 4. Если он некорректен, появится всплывающее предупреждение.
Поэтому теперь советник автоматически определит часовой пояс GMT и использует время брокера для расчета времени по GMT.
Чтобы использовать автоматический расчет сдвига по GMT, необходимо разрешить веб-запросы на адрес "http://currencystrength.de".
Также добавлен параметр testerGMToffset для поддержки тестирования со сдвигом по GMT. Переход на летнее время по-прежнему выполняется автоматически, поэтому не используйте переход на летнее время при тестировании!