How to Start with Metatrader 5 - page 94

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

How to Start with Metatrader 5

Sergey Golubev, 2014.03.07 12:57

How to Prepare MetaTrader 5 Quotes for Other Applications

Before I started studying MQL5, I tried many other applications for development of trading systems. I can't say that I wasted my time. Some of them contain a few useful tools allowing users to save time, deal with many issues, destroy some myths and quickly select some further direction for development without the knowledge of programming languages.

These applications need historical data. Due to the absence of some certain standard data format, they often had to be edited before they could be used (for example, in Excel) to comply with the format applicable to the necessary program. Even if you are able to figure out all necessary details, many things should still be done manually. Users can find different versions of scripts designed to copy the quotes from MetaTrader 4 to the necessary format. If there is such a demand, we can also develop the version of the script for MQL5.

Introduction
1. Covered Topics
2. Data Format
3. Program's External Parameters
4. Checking Parameters Entered by a User
5. Global Variables
6. Information Panel
7. Application's Main Block
8. Creating Folders and Filing the Data
Conclusion

How to prepare MT4 for backtesting/trading with some pair

MT4 History data generation

Sergey Golubev, 2016.05.28 10:58

Hi peperibal:

It is not a fully related to your questions but it is about what I am doing when I want to backtest/check/trade using some pair for example:

1. I open MT4.

2. Open USDJPY H1 chart (if I want to do something with this pair).

3. Go to Tools - History Center, find this pair and double mouse click on every pair's timeframe so

before double-mouse click on every timeframe there:

after:

So, by this action - I downloaded the history for this pair to MT4.

4. Now I want to transfer this history to the chart (to trade, for backtesting, and so on).

So, I change timeframe for USDJPY chart to M1, right mouse click on any space of the chart and choose 'Refresh', and all history is loaded to the chart - and I can see it from the Journal about how many bars were loaded from my MT4 History Center to this chart:

Same with M5 timeframe (Refresh), same with M15 and so on up to MN.

----

After that only I will backtesting/trading or whatsoever anything with this pair (USDJPY in our example).

Just my experience

And there is the other procedure about how to fix the issue with data/quotes - read this post with instruction here: 
https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/86576/page2#comment_9926954
New MetaTrader 4 build 1160
New MetaTrader 4 build 1160
  • www.mql5.com
New MetaTrader 4 build 1160 The updated version of the MetaTrader 4 platform will be released on December 14, 2018...

real account

Sergey Golubev, 2017.02.09 10:51

MetaQuotes company is not a broker so you need to select a broker for trading.

Some links which may help in this situation:

MetaTrader 5 Help - Getting Started

MetaTrader 5 Help - Getting Started - Open an Account 

--------------------

• "Two types of accounts are available in the trading platform: demonstration (demo) and real. Demo accounts provide the opportunity to work in a training mode without real money, allowing to test a trading strategy. They feature all the same functionality as the live ones. The difference is that demo accounts can be opened without any investment and, therefore, one cannot expect to profit from them."
  • "Live accounts, unlike demo, cannot be opened straight from the platform. They can only be opened by brokerage companies under certain terms and conditions. However, a real account request can be sent to a broker from the trading platform."

mql5 storage -

News: the user can rollback to any change/commit of the file in MQL5 Storage: post

mql5 storage

Mohammad Soubra, 2017.02.09 18:12

After the steps of the link

https://www.metatrader5.com/en/metaeditor/help/mql5storage

you have to do:

Working with the Storage

The MQL5 Storage works only with the MQL4/MQL5 folder of the client terminal. All operations with the MQL5 Storage are performed via the context menu of the "Navigator" window and through the context menu of the source code editor:

Using the menu commands you can perform the following actions in the MQL5 Storage:

• Checkout of data from the repository
  • Update data from the repository
  • Commit changes in the repository
  • Add files/folders in the repository
  • Delete files/folders from the repository
  • Cancel current changes in the local copy of data
  • View logs of data changes in the repository
  • View changes in the working copy of the file

Getting Started

The storage contains the information as a tree of files. When connecting to the storage, the MetaEditor user reads and writes these files. The user always works with a local copy of data and, if necessary, sends changes to the repository.

Each transaction of changes is recorded in the storage journal, and later the user can view when, by whom and what files were changed. A certain revision number corresponds to each transaction of changes. A revision is a state of the storage at a point of time. Each time you send changes, a new revision is created (its number is increased) in the storage. Based on the revision number, the storage determines the state of data and merges them. The user can also update the local data copy to a selected revision or revert to any revision.

To begin to work with data in the MQL5 Storage, you must associate a local data folder with the appropriate folder in the storage. This can be done in two ways:

• If you have just created a repository, it is empty. You need to add a directory in it. After that, an appropriate directory is created for the specified directory in the repository (at the same path relative to the /MQL4 or /MQL5 folder). This is a root directory. All operations with files are performed in this directory.
  • If the storage already has some data, you can download them to a local directory. For example, the storage contains the folder /Personal/account_name/MQL5/Experts. You can download the data stored in it to a local directory /MQL5/Experts.

The top directory in the hierarchy, which is bound to the storage, is a root directory. You work with the repository only within this directory. It is not necessary to bind the top directory /MQL4 or /MQL5 to the storage. Any subdirectory within /MQL5 or /MQL4 can be root. You can have several root directories, for example, /MQL5/Experts and /MQL5/Images.

• The MQL5 Storage only works with the following types of files: mq4, mq5, mqh, cpp, h, bmp, wav. Other types of files cannot be added to the repository.
  • Files larger than 64 MB cannot be added to the storage.

Adding to the Repository

To add a folder or file in the repository, select it and execute the +

Add to Storage" command. This will bring up a dialog box showing the list of folders and files to be added.

Files are added locally. To send changes to the repository, execute the

Projects and MQL5 Storage (practical example - how I connected step by step) - first page of this thread
MultiRobot - a lot of strategies in one robot
MultiRobot - a lot of strategies in one robot
  • www.mql5.com
https://www.metatrader5.com/en/metaeditor/help/mql5storage: MultiRobot is an open sources project...

Something Interesting to Read December 2013

Sergey Golubev, 2013.12.25 08:14

Expert Advisor Programming for Metatrader 5: Creating Automated Trading Systems in the Mql5 Language (Paperback)

The first guide to programming in MQL5 is here! "Expert Advisor Programming for MetaTrader 5" is a practical guide to creating automated trading strategies in the MQL5 language. Take advantage of MetaTrader 5's new features and take your trading to the next level! You'll learn how to program expert advisors quickly and easily using a ready-made framework created by an experienced MQL programmer. This book will teach you the following concepts: Learn the basics of MQL5, including variables and data types, operators, functions, event handlers, and object-oriented programming. Place, modify and close market and pending orders. Calculate, verify and add stop loss and take profit prices to an open position. Add a flexible trailing stop and/or break even stop to your strategy. Manage your trade risk with money management. Use pending orders to scale in and out of positions. Use price, time and indicator data in your expert advisors. Control program execution by trading on new bar open, and add flexible trade timers to your strategies. Walk through the creation of several basic trading strategies from start to finish. Inform the user with dialog boxes, email alerts, mobile notifications and sounds. Draw trend lines, arrows and text labels on the chart. Read and write data to CSV files. Learn the basics of creating indicators, scripts and libraries in MetaEditor. Debug, test and optimize your trading strategy. And much more! Whether you're an experienced programmer moving from MQL4, or a novice just starting with MQL5, this book will give you the foundation to quickly program fully-featured and robust trading systems. All programs and source code files featured in the book are available for download at the book's official website at Expert Advisor Programming for MetaTrader - MQL4 and MQL5 book

New MetaTrader 5 iOS build 1509: Login to MQL5.com with Facebook

MetaQuotes Software Corp., 2017.02.10 09:23

With the new MetaTrader 5 app for iPhone and iPad, it is now possible to login or register on MQL5.com using a Facebook account. Any user of this social network can access chats and a plethora of various services for MetaTrader 5 in just a few clicks. Among the large Facebook audience, a great number of mobile traders will certainly appreciate the new sign-in method.

New MetaTrader 5 iOS build 1509: Login to MQL5.com with Facebook

In addition, after logging in to your account, you will be able to receive push notifications from MQL5.com. It is a great way to get notified about new chat messages, comments on forum topics, and newly published articles.

Update MetaTrader 5 App for iOS

I'm trading on MT5 platform on windows but for android smart phone the broker still don't have servers for it, i don't know why? 

How to Start with Metatrader 5

Mohammed Mounir, 2017.02.10 09:52

I'm trading on MT5 platform on windows but for android smart phone the broker still don't have servers for it, i don't know why? 

Read this small article (hope it helps): MetaTrader 5 Android OS Help - Opening a Demo Account

i asked my broker but they told that there is no service for trading on Android, on windows only

MetaTrader 5 - More Than You Can Imagine!

The development of MetaTrader 5 started in 2007. MetaTrader 5 was conceived as a revolutionary, multi-market platform that can run on Forex as well as on any other financial market. A lot of work has been done since then, and the result of this work is the platform that provides unlimited opportunities to traders. In this article, we will talk about all the key features of MetaTrader 5 and carry out a comparative analysis with the previous version of the trading platform.

1. Charts
  2. Navigator
  3. Trading
  4. Toolbox
  5. Testing and Optimization
  6. Integration with MQL5.community
  7. MetaEditor
  8. The MQL5 Programming Language
  9. Services for Traders and Developers

------------------------

And this is the MT5 user manual:

MetaTrader 5 Help - Trading Platform — User Manual