Parabolic SAR indicator

I am continuing posting information about indicators.

So, we have information about Stochastic indicator https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/177239

We have the thread about Momentum indicator https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/176430

Now something about Parabolic SAR.

Overview

The Parabolic Time/Price System, developed by Welles Wilder,

is used to set trailing price stops and is usually referred

to as the "SAR" (stop-and-reversal).

This indicator is explained thoroughly in Wilder's book,

New Concepts in Technical Trading Systems.

Interpretation

The Parabolic SAR provides excellent exit points.

You should close long positions when the price

falls below the SAR and close short positions

when the price rises above the SAR.

If you are long (i.e., the price is above the SAR),

the SAR will move up every day, regardless of

the direction the price is moving. The amount

the SAR moves up depends on the amount

that prices move.

The Parabolic SAR is plotted as shown in Wilder's book.

Each SAR stop level point is displayed on the day

in which it is in effect. Note that the SAR value

is today's, not tomorrow's stop level.

Wilder, J. Welles. New Concepts in Technical Trading Systems. Greensboro, NC: Trend Research, 1978.

And some links we have which is related to this indicator.

Indicators and trading systems:

- SMARSI indicators and system: indicators here and original thread is here.

- paraboilc sar histogram is here.

- Parabolic SAR Modification with alert is here.

- Parabolic SAR with alert is here and here.

- Using Parabolic SAR in asctrend systems (many versions of the system with different using): here, here and here.

- Wma 5/20 - Ema system: parabolic SAr is using for exit. Original thread.

- Polynomial Regression indicator using Parabolic SAR: original version, 'looking for the future" version, more simple versions is here.

- Fibonacci_Ema: ema indicators system filtering by Parabolic SAR indicator: original thread is here.

- Parabolic SAR as filter and for exit in BrainSystems: original thread and some rules are here.

- Ichimoku indicator and Parabolic SAR: original thread.

- ^X_Parabolic indicator: original thread is here.

- Cnannel Trading systems using Parabilic SAR as well: original thread.

- MACD Parabolic SAR system: original thread.

- Pure Parabolic SAR System: original thread.

EAs:

- Parabolic SAR and "Kaufmann MA" System. And EA for this system (SARKAMA EA). Original thread with the system and EA is here.

- Scalp_net_v1.3sl EA: Parabolic SAR is used as trailing stop. Elite section thread.

- Scalp_net EA using 55EMA/200EMA crossing and MACD (default settings) and Parabolic SAR (0.005 and 0.05) as a filter: original public thread.

- Chimera - Trending EA - based on Phoenix: this EA is using Parabilic SAR.

- HedgeHog System & EA using Parabolic SAR to determine the direction: original thead.

- Robot Power EA is using Parabilic SAR: original thread.

- 'EA based on parabolic SAR... but still unperfect' thread.

- EA based on SAR color bar: EA development thread.

- Looking for Parabolic SAR EA default settings thread with SAR Sample EA man versions.

Newdigital,

Thanks for the PSAR info and links. They are very helpful.

More to follow

Indicators:

- i-3SAR-Sig signal indicator based on 3 tfs agreement: origital thread.

- Parabolic SAR 4TF and Parabolic SAR 2TF: thread with 2 good indicators.

- 4 color psar from NK on this page.

- SAR_ADX SideBar mtf is on this page.

- PSAR_2c_MTF chart & separate window is on this post.

- Some interesting indicators: Parabolic_best is on this post and some more are on this page

Parabolic SAR - Changing Alert from Popup to Email?

Hi,

I have a useful Parabolic SAR indicator with popup alert, but I need an email alert for it.

I tried to change the alert from popup to email, but I can't get it to compile without errors... I think the solution is probably obvious but I can't figure it out, if somebody could please fix it...

Here is the original alert code that is working :

if(AlertsEnabled==true && sarUp == 0 && Bars>alertBar)

{

Alert("Parabolic SAR Going Down on ",Symbol(),"-",Period());

alertBar = Bars;

}

And here's my change which causes the problem :

if(AlertsEnabled==true && sarUp == 0 && Bars>alertBar)

{

SendMail("Parabolic SAR Reverse");

alertBar = Bars;

}

I'm getting the following compile error :

')' - wrong parameters count C:\Program Files\MetaTrader\experts\indicators\Parabolic SAR Color - Email.mq4 (74, 40)

I'm also getting another compilation error ('else' - unexpected token) which I guess is related to whatever is causing the first error.

I've attached the original indicator file.

Thanks,

Jin

Parabolic Only EA

Please i dont know if a kind-hearted forum member can help me program an EA that will place trades using parabolic SAR and RSI 9 only.

with inbuilt but changeable trailing stop option

The EA will enter trades when a new parabolic signal is formed and RSI 9 corresponds with the signal

The EA will place stoploss where a parabolic breach will occur

which means stoploss will be placed where it cannot be hit unless parabolic is breached and it will automatically close trades when RSI 9 moves in opposite direction

Or through A better exit strategy you may suggest

Thanks

I moved your post to this thread where you can find the links to some EAs based on Parabolic SAR (just to use or to modify existing EAs).

Jin:
Hi,

I have a useful Parabolic SAR indicator with popup alert, but I need an email alert for it.

I tried to change the alert from popup to email, but I can't get it to compile without errors... I think the solution is probably obvious but I can't figure it out, if somebody could please fix it...

Here is the original alert code that is working :

And here's my change which causes the problem :

I'm getting the following compile error :

I'm also getting another compilation error ('else' - unexpected token) which I guess is related to whatever is causing the first error.

I've attached the original indicator file.

Thanks,

Jin

Jin:

It seems as though you have the wrong parameters count for the "SendMail" function. The first parameter is the subject that will appear in the subject line of the email message. The second parameter is a text string that will go into the body of the email message. You have omitted one of these.

Thanks jimven, you solved my problem!

Much appreciated.

Jin

Parabolic SAR indicator with EMAIL ALERT

Can someone edit/code the Parabolic SAR indicator with EMAIL ALERT options.

Thanks

celestin2003:
Can someone edit/code the Parabolic SAR indicator with EMAIL ALERT options. Thanks

This would not be difficult, but I wouldn't want to spend the time, if your purpose is to act on these alerts as trading signals. I presume that you would want an email message when the PSAR reverses (from showing dots under the prices to showing them over the prices and vice-versa).

This simple alert would not be profitable. I know, as I have lost a few thousand dollars and a couple of years trying to make money with a PSAR indicator. I no longer have any use for it.

Reason: