Is martin so bad? Or do you have to know how to cook it?

From my first acquaintance with Forex (this event is 10 years old) I got it from some "authority fathers" saying: "Martingale is the trader's absolute evil" as an axiom. I have never used this method till now.
But recently I`ve been reviewing forum messages and saw the question "Where can I get a good Martingale?" and in the comments to the question I got a comment that there are no good and bad martingale.
I decided to get acquainted with the question and try it out for myself, so to speak.
I will go ahead and firstly tell you my conclusions, and then illustrate my findings. So, I concluded that one can and should use martingale, but on one obligatory condition: "The Expert Advisor must not be initially losing, otherwise it will only speed up the losing". That is, without martingale, the advisor should still show profit on most trades, and then martin can slightly compensate for losses from unsuccessful entries (with a certain degree of probability).
Well, this is my personal opinion, but I wonder what percentage of traders are really friendly with martin? I also wonder how many of the future participants of the Championship 2012 will use this method in their EAs? I would like to make a poll on this subject but I don't know how to do it...

In the files for illustration:

Report EasyTrend-minlot-
This is the tester report on a simple trend Expert Advisor where every new bar has a signal to buy or sell (depending on how the trend is defined) and a minimum lot is opened with the specified TP and SL.
Report EasyTrend+Martin-minlot-
Report of the Strategy Tester for the Expert Advisor that differs from the previous one in that the martingale is used (usual lot multiplication scheme) .
Report EasyTrend+Martin+MM-
Tester report by the Expert Advisor with martingale and simple money management (test for compatibility).
According to the results of the first 2 tests we can see that Martingale has increased our profit by 24% (is it a little or a lot?, com), the balance curve looks better and some indicators have improved.
The result of the third test shows that the martingale and money management system (according to the current balance size) do not conflict with each other.

So maybe it was in vain that I treated Martin badly for so many years?

Несколько способов определения тренда на MQL5
Несколько способов определения тренда на MQL5
  • Dmitriy Skub
  • www.mql5.com
Любой трейдер отдал бы многое за возможность безошибочного определения тренда в любой момент времени, и, пожалуй, это и есть тот самый Грааль, который все ищут. В данной статье мы рассмотрим несколько способов определения тренда, а точнее, как средствами языка MQL5 запрограммировать несколько классических способов определения тренда.
Files:
1bpxpn.zip  135 kb

For me, martingale is one of the ways to manage risk capital in an open trade/position, i.e. it is a question of opportunity and preference.

I don't use martingale because I don't think I have enough money in my account to sit out losses by adding to a losing position /multi-currency TS/.

vspexp:

For me, martingale is one of the ways to manage risk capital in an open trade/position, i.e. it is a matter of opportunity and preference.

I don't use martingale because I don't think I have enough money in my account to sit out losses by adding to a losing position /multi-currency TS/.

Maybe we are talking about different things, or have different ideas about the same concept. The way I see it, martingale is not about sitting on a losing position and adding more entries. I perceive martingale in Forex closer to the classical concept - after a losing position to increase the volume of the next position to be opened in the hope that the profit from a profitable position will compensate for the previous loss. That is, a position is opened with a specified lot size and TP and SL levels; if it is profitable, the next position is opened with identical parameters. But after an unsuccessful position, the next position is opened with a larger volume, but with the same stop levels. In case of success, the loss of the previous position is compensated. And this has nothing to do with sitting out with fill-ins...

papaklass:

On the subject of martin:

I don't like it either, as it has too bad a profit/risk ratio. There comes a time when you have to risk all of your capital in order to win back your initial bet. And this initial bet is a tiny percentage of the amount you have to risk at that moment.

Such situation is possible if the trading system has more wrong trading signals than correct ones, then the loss is guaranteed, it is only a matter of time and chance (I.e.).

In this case, it is assumed that the system is developed on good entries, although the greater weight have the exits, and I in my TS have no and close the order before it reaches the target SL.

In general the growth of the deposit is facilitated by the right ratio of average volume and number of profitable trades to the number and average volume of losing trades. R= number of profitable trades x number of average profitable ones / number of losing trades x number of average losing trades. In every case you need to analyze the trade statistics and draw appropriate conclusions.

Every trading strategy has a life cycle (year, quarter, month, week). If at the end of the life cycle the trading system is profitable, then it does not matter what is in the MM of the system.

Not every add-on is a Martingale.

Wangelys:

Итак, для себя я сделал вывод, что использовать мартингейл можно и нужно, но при одном обязательном условии:"Советник не должен быть изначально сливной, иначе слив только ускорится". То есть без использования мартингейла советник всё равно должен показывать прибыль по большинству сделок, тогда мартином можно будет слегка компенсировать убытки от неудачных входов(с определённой степенью вероятности).

Nonsense.

abolk:

Nonsense.

Concise, informative, argumentative...

Wangelys:
Concise, informative, argumentative...
And most importantly, to the point.

Wangelys:

So, for myself I concluded that one can and should use martingale, but with one obligatory condition: "The Expert Advisor should not be initially losing, otherwise the loss will only accelerate". That is, without martingale, the Expert Advisor should still show profit in most of the trades, and then the martin can slightly compensate for the losses of unsuccessful entries (with a certain degree of probability).

I agree that you can and should use martingale.

You just don't need to deposit every 10 pips. If you do it every 500-1000 pips even a losing EA will become profitable.

pusheax: If you do it every 500-1000 pips even a losing EA will become profitable.

Mm-hmm )) and the level of profitability will reach bank deposits, with the same risk of getting the final loss

GaryKa:
Uh-huh )) and the rate of return will reach bank deposits, with the same risk of getting the final los
Maybe you mean 50-100 pips old? ))
Reason: