Interesting and Humour - page 4013

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

But Fedoseyev never subscribed to magazines - that's why he wanders around the forum unaccompanied.

Some read Playboy ))). We used to have tankers sailing down the Neva River to Scandinavian countries and we used to bring seafarers by boat to get vodka. So we had gum and jeans and Playboys too).

When scarcity is equated with censorship, storytellers emerge.

It is not a question of politics, it is a question of how profitable book publishing was in the USSR, and whether it was.

I strongly suspect it was like buses at 6 kopecks a fare - unprofitable, subsidised, but necessary.

Vladimir Tkach:
We used to write out small models. Rarely did it come, but when it did, we were delighted. I remember an Il62 LOT, a Su 7, a floating tank, and a British Lancaster bomber.
There's also a young technician appendix. But it was all copy-cat and had to be painted by myself.

I had all of them, but I had to check every day because they were stealing. I used to write out UTs as well, but I don't remember the application.

There was a lot of joy, though. There was an absolute hunger for information, 3 programmes on TV, 1-2 films every day.

All we did was drink and go to discos and fight. Such a happy Soviet childhood. It was good that I took up karate, soldered receivers and liked to build and repair electronics. It saved me somehow.

And half of my class of 8-year-olds drank themselves silly, most of them are in the graveyard or in jail.

Vladimir Tkach:
We used to write out small models. Rarely did it come, but when it did, we were delighted. I remember an Il62 LOT, a Su 7, a floating tank, and a British Lancaster bomber.
There's also a young technician app. But everything there had to be photocopied and coloured in by yourself.

Never once didn't show up. All the models were then assembled. And then when they got bored, they were blown up...

Andrew Petras:

When scarcity is equated with censorship, storytellers emerge.

It is not a question of politics, it is a question of how profitable book publishing was in the USSR, and whether it was.

I strongly suspected that it was like with the buses at 6 kopecks a fare - unprofitable, subsidized, but necessary.

And with everything else, food, clothes, footwear, was it better? Okay, Moscow was supplied under the first category, St. Petersburg under the second, until the end of the 80s it was still possible to buy something to eat. I remember buying jeans for 230 rubles for a salary of 120 rubles after graduating from college. And how did the rest of the people in the provinces live? They used to send pasta to my aunt in a parcel to Chita every month.

So I don't want to go back there.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

But what about everything else, food, clothes and shoes, was it better? All right, Moscow was supplied under the first category, St. Petersburg under the second, until the end of the '80s, you could still buy something to eat. I remember buying jeans for 230 rubles for a salary of 120 rubles after graduating from college. And how did the rest of the people in the provinces live? They used to send pasta to my aunt in a parcel to Chita every month.

Maybe I was living in the wrong country - a province, not a regional city - I remember empty shelves only after the collapse of the USSR.

And even then their emptiness is such:

-- sprat in tomato
-- courgette caviar
-- several varieties of smoked sausage
-- several varieties of boiled sausage

Rifle jeans in take-it-or-leave-it style in all sizes for 100 rubles in a local department store, year about 1985.

Meat, sausage, dairy products, cereals, ice-cream, cocktails, coffee in iron jars, Georgian tea, sugar, lemons, bananas and many other things - everything was always in the fridge and on the table. I do not remember any non-meat dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

But what about everything else, food, clothes and shoes, was it better? All right, Moscow was supplied under the first category, St. Petersburg under the second, until the end of the '80s, you could still buy something to eat. I remember buying jeans for 230 rubles for a salary of 120 rubles after university. And how did the rest of the people in the provinces live? They used to send pasta to my aunt in a parcel to Chita every month.

It was different.

For example, there was no famine in Chita when I was there on a (army) business trip in '86.

No one is calling you there, even assuming it is even theoretically possible. That's not what I'm talking about, the lies, the distortions and the nastiness for no reason at all.

Andrew Petras:

It was different.

For example, there was no famine in Chita when I was there on a (army) deployment in '86.

No one is calling you there, even assuming it is even theoretically possible. That's not what I'm talking about, the lies, the distortions and the nastiness for no reason at all.

How could you know how people lived when you were in the army on a business trip?

I was in Vladivostok in '89, I thought it was a seaside city... I was in Vladivostok in '89 and the fish shops were full of shit, including canned fish.

Dmitry Fedoseev:

By reading his books one could start to realise the specifics of the political regime in the country.

++++

And a bunch more recipes on how to properly develop society.

Dmitry Fedoseev:

How could you know how people lived when you were in the army on a business trip?

I was in Vladivostok in '89, I thought it was a seaside city... and the fish shops were full of crap, including canned fish.

Does the word "discharge" ring any bells? What about "demob chord"?

He wasn't blind. And he left after the service from Chita, too.

Reason: