[Archive! - page 679

valenok2003: Alexei, is this about the period when everything was on coupons? And empty counters?

No, before. 'All on vouchers' - just from about '91.

In general, I didn't even care about empty counters, it was easy to pass that time. I worked part-time, had enough to live on, didn't forget the taste of meat even at the most "coupon" time. I did not have as much stress as they describe it now.

I understand that it was a lot harder for some people. Especially those who were not paid their wages for months.

In 70-80s even having money it was impossible to buy what you wanted. In the 90s the shelves were empty.

Now the counters are full but for the majority of Russians this is tantamount to a complete lack of them.

Bugatti,,Ferrari, Porsche - these are goods for whom?

It's like you don't live in Russia, for God's sake. I even looked up your IP just in case: no, I live in Russia, and not even in the most run-down little town.

Maybe you can't buy sausage/meat, because it "hasn't been thrown out at the counter" or it costs a fortune, or you have to stand in a terrible queue for bananas/oranges - at any time of year?

What planet are you from that you look at "Bugatti, Ferrari, Porsche"?

There is diversity, and that's good. And we didn't have it under the Soviets.

P.S. I named the period from 1986 to 1990 precisely because at that time I felt in my gut that I had freedom of information - and could make use of it by buying books which the Soviets simply could not get (in ordinary shops) at any price.

Wages were paid back then. Until about the nineties.

Demi: At the same time as the rich miners and the Black Sea resorts, there were hunger riots in Novocherkask and thousands of half-starved towns across the vastness of the country....

hmm, i guess i'm not making myself clear - what about riots and famine in the 50s and 60s? let's remember the Bolsheviks in the 17s and 20s, and then serfdom.....

the majority of today's population in Russia spent their conscious lives from the 1970s to the present day, and if you compare "when life was good and what life is not good now", you should not compare empty counters, but how they lived in developed countries then and how the USSR lived, how Europe lives now and how Russia lives now, why they can produce quality goods while we... invest in AvtoVAZ in times of crisis.....

HH: If you are trying to write about poverty in Soviet times, the collective farmers lived really poor, even in stagnation times - work from dawn to dusk, and for 30-40 rubles, and the pension is the lowest among all workers

Before judging where things have been better and where they have been worse, we must define ourselves in terms of quality of life. There is no clear, clear, understandable and mathematically grounded, legally enshrined definition of quality of life. Its existence is unprofitable for politicians.

Quality of life is a complex property, which is based on dozens of parameters, from fertility rate to mortality rate. To be able to compare where the quality of life was better, it is necessary to derive a quality-of-life formula that takes into account as many parameters as possible, taking into account their significance for the citizens of the country. Only after deriving such a formula and puttingobjective data into it can comparisons be made.

Until that is done, arguing about where things were better is utterly useless. You can't compare a tin can to a stool, amps to metres and joules to balls. This argument will be endless. Only mathematics can put everything in its place. // IMHO.

IgorM:

HH: If you are trying to write about poverty in Soviet times, the collective farmers lived in real poverty, even during stagnation - work from dawn to dusk, and for 30-40 rubles, and the pension is the lowest among all workers

In one time they weren't even given passports in their hands - so they wouldn't flee. It was serfdom.

DmitriyN: Чёткого, ясного, понятного и математически обоснованного, юридически закреплённого в законодательстве определения качества жизни не существует.

blah...blah...blah....

Hmm, have you tried to read about it before writing? I'm not quoting verbatim (too lazy to Google), but in developed countries the main indicator of quality of life is expenditures, not earnings, and if I'm not mistaken, then by their standards, if a family spends less than $30 per day "per capita", then the family is below the poverty line - so on or so

IgorM:
_ but in developed countries the main indicator for assessing quality of life is not earnings, but expenditures, _
Not everything can be measured by expenditure. And expenditure is not always an indicator which is 100% reflective of quality. Quality of culture, spiritual state, quality of the environment, health, level of education, etc.

DmitriyN: Not everything can be measured by expenditure. And spending is not always an indicator that is 100% reflective of quality. Quality of culture, spiritual state, quality of the environment, health, level of education, etc.

:))), just the opposite: if you have the opportunity to spend on your health, you want "fifth size boobs", you want gold thread reinforcement, ...., if you cannot, you drink sesentuki and think about the benefits of ultraviolet light in summer time... if you can spend, you live in an alpine expanse and don't have to worry about Moscow's smog ))))

Culture? Hmm, well, that's the lot of people who are able to spend - if you can, today you roam the ruins of the Colosseum, and the next weekend you walk along the Jewish Wailing Wall... and if you can not, then you are proud that you managed to stand in line to the Lenin Mausoleum, and in a couple of years you should not forget to visit the Armoury in the turmoil of life

Mathemat:

moskitman, that goes for you too. Address specific people, not "all those" and "the like".

It was better. From about '86 to '91, when a huge amount of very interesting literature appeared and I spent almost half of my salary on books. Yes, we didn't live richly, but there was an inimitable sensation of something completely new and interesting.

After '91, I had it too, but I had to survive stupidly, there was no time for literature. Of course, I continued to buy books, but not in the same quantities as I did then.

Yes... That was me, too. Those were great times. Absolutely carefree. With a workingman's salary of 300 rubles, I only spent 25 a month. Yacht club, girls, books... It was great!

I don't have time for anything now. I work all the time.

Zhunko:

Yes... I had that too. Those were great times. Totally carefree. With a worker's salary of 300 rubles, I only spent 25 a month. Yacht club, girls, books... That was great!

Now there's no time for anything. I work all the time.

I don't remember an employee earning 300 roubles in '86 and '90... A miner, or are you on the links somewhere?
Reason: