Interesting and Humour - page 4014

Andrew Petras:

Does the word "discharge" ring any bells? What about "demob chord"?

I wasn't blind. I was also leaving Chita after my service.

Alas, I don't know what a discharge chord is. What's a demob chord got to do with it?

Dmitry Fedoseev:

Alas, I don't know what a leave of absence is. What does the demob chord have to do with it?

AWOL.

Do you think a hungry soldier walking into an empty shop won't remember the empty counters?

From the wharf, looking at the fat man running past the sailors, it certainly looks slightly different.

Andrew Petras:

AWOL.

Do you think a hungry soldier walking into an empty shop would not remember the empty counters?

From the dock, looking at the fat man running past the sailors, it certainly looks... a little different.

But I remembered.

Dmitry Fedoseev:

But I remembered.

And - watch your hands: interpreted. And the candy? Did you make it up, or did the sailors tell you?

I have nothing to add on the subject.

Except about jeans, which we had sewn in every other sewing factory, which had two problems - the material and the style... but that's not for you, I'm just saying.

Good night.

Andrew Petras:

And - watch your hands: interpreted. And the candy? Did you make it up, or did the sailors tell you?

Maybe about the jeans we had sewn in every other garment factory, which had two problems - the material and the style... but that's not for you, I'm just saying.

Good night.

What kind of candy? The two berry ones for Navy Day? I ate it myself.)

The jeans thing is a load of bollocks.

Andrew Petras:

Except that the jeans we had sewn in every other garment factory, which had two problems - the material and the style... but that's not for you, I'm just saying.

Good night.

You are right, they made their own jeans and they also said that the soviet industry did not produce any high-quality material and cuts which were too shy to wear, but these trousers did not get dirty and everything was alright with sexual orientation of the youth.

And there was a food shortage, but there were no problems with obesity, like in modern developed countries...))

Dmitry Fedoseev:

What kind of candy? The two berry ones for Navy Day? I ate them myself))

The jeans were all bullshit.

The ones that were supposedly handed out after the formation when the fat man ran... I lied again, I don't even remember.

Джинсы в СССР | Про джинсы
Джинсы в СССР | Про джинсы
  • projeans.ru
В Советском Союзе джинсы появились после фестиваля молодежи и студентов проходившем в Москве в 1957 году. Именно после фестиваля джинсы стали мечтой для миллионов, предметом культа и объектом спекуляций. С джинсов начались фарцовщики – торговцы модными, редкими вещами. Фарцовщики покупали джинсы у моряков, которые бывали заграницей и привозили...

Andrew Petras:

It was different.

For example, there was no hunger in Chita when I was there on a (army) business trip in '86.

No one is calling you there, even assuming it is even theoretically possible. That's not what I'm talking about, the lies, the distortions and the nastiness for no reason at all.

Well, you must have eaten in the army canteen. The army was well off then. I used to send pasta with my father once a month, we went to the post office together.

Jan Rokotow, a famous farmer who was shot in 1961, defined jeans: "Please note to the court that there are only Levis jeans, everything else is just trousers".

Andrey F. Zelinsky:

I must have lived in the wrong country - a province, not a regional city - I remember empty shelves only after the collapse of the USSR.

And even then their emptiness is such:

-- sprat in tomato.
-- courgette caviar
-- several varieties of smoked sausage
-- several varieties of boiled sausage

Rifle jeans in take-it-or-leave-it style in all sizes for 100 rubles at the local department store, year about 1985.

Meat, sausage, dairy products, cereals, ice-cream, cocktails, coffee in iron jars, Georgian tea, cane and brown sugar, lemons, bananas and many other things - everything was always in the fridge and on the table. I don't remember any meat dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Empty shelves I remember in '90. My son was born and my wife went to the country with him for the summer. All summer I ate kefir and some cereals, I couldn't buy anything else. Almost everything was on food stamps and there were queues for 2 hours, there was no time to stand, I worked a lot.

Anyway, that's all in the distant past, there's no point in discussing it.

Reason: