Automated Trading Championship 2011 Has Started! - page 2

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Interview with Olexander Topchylo (Better)

Interview with Olexander Topchylo (Better) is the second publication within the "ATC Champions League" project. Having won the Automated Trading Championship 2007, this professional trader caught the attention of investors. Olexander says that his first place in the ATC 2007 is one of the major events of his trading experience. However, later on this popularity helped him discover the biggest disappointment - it is so easy to lose investors after the first drawdown on an investor account.

Your winning Expert Advisor was based on a neural network. You said that the neural network was developed in C++, and then translated into MQL4. Now we are launching an open source project for creating a neuronet engine in MQL5, which is designed to help traders to create a network in a few clicks and paste it into the Expert Advisor code. Would you like to participate in this project?

Yes, I've read this forum topic. It's a very interesting project! Although now everyone can find neural networks in existing freeware-libraries, but there is one peculiarity. Neural networks require huge computational resources, and by coding such a network in pure MQL5 you can use the cloud computing service, which was recently launched on the MetaTrader 5 platform.

I won't be able to participate in the project, since I have no time. Also, I'll hardly use the results of this project, since I create neural networks for specific tasks. But for beginners this will be a very useful resource.

The full text is available on the Championship website - ATC Champions League: Interview with Olexander Topchylo (Better).

The Sponsors of the Automated Trading Championship 2011 are MIG Bank, Go Marketsand Vantage FX. The Media Sponsor of the Championship is Forex-TSD.

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Interview with Tim Fass (Tim)

A student from Germany Tim Fass (Tim) is participating in the Automated Trading Championship for the first time. Nevertheless, his Expert Advisor The_Wild_13 already got featured at the very top of the Championship rating and seems to be holding his position in the top ten. Tim told us about his Expert Advisor, his faith in the success of simple strategies and his wildest dreams.

Your strategy attracted attention for its slow but stable increase in the balance. Was it intentionally optimized so? Does its prototype that you use in real trading show the same smooth increase?

Yes it generally shows the same smooth increase. I wanted a program that is not acting too chaotic, because it is much easier to tell if it is effective or needs a new optimization. That is why I prefer a program with small but reliable profit. It is achieved by the large stop loss while placing the order.

The resulting problems are massive but rare loss trades; the key is to keep them as rare as possible. Also in optimization I preferred more stable sets of variables with the profit factor of at least 3.

With my three loss trades in one week, I was quite unlucky too, hopefully it will get better soon.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Interview with Tim Fass (Tim).

The Sponsors of the Automated Trading Championship 2011 are MIG Bank, Go Marketsand Vantage FX. The Media Sponsor of the Championship is Forex-TSD.

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Fourth Week Report

The last week of October has not promised any suprises. Our TOP-10 was changing insignificantly. The leadership was passing periodically from one participant to another and it was impossible to predict a Friday leader. But something unbelievable has happened on Thursday - the Expert Advisor of Xupypr has suddenly turned on its acceleration to maximum and soared heavenward like a rocket with 15 EURUSD lots on board! For the first time in the Automated Trading Championship history such a huge profit has been fixed.

To better understand the scale of this event we must recall that the Expert Advisor of the previous Championship winner Boris Odintsov (bobsley) finished with $77 102 on its account. Nevertheless, 2 months of the competition are still ahead of us. There is enough time to leave all the pursuers trailing far behind. However, we know the cases when all the advantage gained in the beginning was eventually lost. Of course, we could not help asking the leader of the fourth week several questions.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Fourth Week Report.

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Interview with Igor Korepin (Xupypr)

Appearance of the Expert Advisor cs2011 by Igor Korepin (Xupypr) at the very top of the Automated Trading Championship 2011 was really impressive - its balance was almost twice that of the EA featured on the second place. However, despite such a sound breakaway, the Expert Advisor could not stay long on the first line. Igor frankly said that he relied much on a lucky start of his trading robot in the competition. We'll see if luck helps this simple EA to take the lead in the ATC 2011 race again.

Two days ago your EA seemed to be resting at an unattainable height. And suddenly there was one more rise - the Expert Advisor by ias. The MetaTrader 5 Tester now supports multicurrency strategies. Have you ever tried to create programs trading multiple currencies?

Yes, once I tried to create a multicurrency robot, but it was very simple. For a full-fledged multicurrency EA you need a well-thought strategy. In my understanding, it must simultaneously take into account the movements of several instruments. Currency indexes are quite suitable for such analysis. I don't know how the ias' Expert Advisor is constructed and what strategy it uses. But I think that the author succeeded in it. His EA catches strong movements and is excellent in protecting the profits. It has already earned over $100,000. My congratulations to ias!

The full text is available on the Championship website - Interview with Igor Korepin (Xupypr).

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Statistical Report #1

The first month of the Automated Trading Championship 2011 is over. 395 Expert Advisors in total were allowed to participate in the competition this year. That is 81 more that the last year Championship. But not all of them have been considered in our report, as 7 participants were disqualified during the first two weeks. Therefore, 388 Expert Advisors are still in action as of October 31. The current Championship is rich in surprises and it is time to examine this year's first statistical values.

Like during the last year's Championship, EURUSD suffered a downfall at the beginning but eventually moved upwards steadily by the end of the first week. But the Expert Advisors that started their trading activity in 2010 a bit later were mostly profitable ones, while this year most of such Expert Advisors are losing ones. Can this fact mean that the Exeprt Advisors expected growth of euro the last year, while now they expect its downfall? We can't say that for sure but, nevertheless, we decided to reveal this curious fact in our report.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Statistical Report #1.

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Fifth Week Report

We have not expected any new sensations after the incredible takeoff of the Expert Advisor of Igor Korepin (Xupypr). It seemed that the gap between Xupypr and his closest pursuer (the Expert Advisor of anuta) comprising $35 000 is big enough to provide the former with a safety net at least for a week or even a month. But this assumption has turned out to be completely wrong and the first week of November has shown us that you can never be too sure both about the Championship and Forex trading.

The main event of the fifth week is even more incredible takeoff of the multi-currency Expert Advisor of ias from Russia. Not only has it been able to jump past Xupypr's level but it has also managed to accelerate up to the second "cosmic" speed and reached $100 000. As it was noted by the Championship audience, this "twelve-stage rocket" is able to cope with any height and no one can say what its limits are.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Fifth Week Report.

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Interview with Ilnur Khasanov (aharata)

The Expert Advisor of Ilnur Khasanov (aharata) is holding its place in our TOP-10 chart of the Automated Trading Championship 2011 participants from the third week already, though Ilnur's acquaintance with Forex has started only a year ago. The idea that forms the basis of the Expert Advisor is simple but the trading robot contains self-optimization elements. Perhaps, that is the key to its survival? Besides, the author had to replace the Expert Advisor planned to be submitted for the Championship...

Nevertheless, your Expert Advisor have had a very small amount of deals for 4 weeks. What were the results during the automatic verifications? Did your Expert Advisor have any problems passing them?

Yes, not many deals... The automatic verifications were passed successfully, I had to recompile and download the robot because of the build. I don't think the Expert Advisor has huge potential but still... I'm very glad that I stay in the TOP-10 for the second week already.

The number of your messages at mql5.com is not so big. Where are you looking for ideas and associates?

Yes, I have not left too many messages. But I don't spend too much time now sitting at my computer. I prefer mql5.com web site, as it is really good (I would even say, it is a Perfect Web Site for People). I always read the forum and the articles attentively. I just like to learn new things. As for ideas... I look for them myself. Sometimes, I can learn something useful from other people. For example, the posts of Boris Odintsov (bobsley) during the previous Championship grabbed my attention.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Interview with Ilnur Khasanov (aharata).

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Interview with Kiril Kartunov (Liliput)

This is the third interview in the "ATC Champions League" project. The final balance of the winner of the Automated Trading Championship 2008 Kiril Kartunov (Liliput) was a record in the history of the competition - after the contest trading was stopped, it was equal to $169,585. The 2008 main prize satisfied the ambition of this trader, and he decided to quit Forex. This year he is back to try his luck once again with an absolutely new strategy.

What experience does participation in the Championship give? What were the bonuses from your first place in the ATC 2008 for you?

Participation in the Championship gives the programmer the advantage to compete with other programmers of MQL tools. It is a measure of the current status and also an important test period for the long coding work. My first place in 2008 gave bonuses and negatives at the same time. To be first makes you popular in the MQL community. But it is also hard to defend this place. Trading is a dynamic process and changes fast in time. After that I decided to quit Forex as the success was enough for me. But now I wanted to try the new MQL5 so I'm back. Unfortunately with less success.

The full text is available on the Championship website - ATC Champions League: Interview with Kiril Kartunov (Liliput).

Analytical Research by Better: Money Management in the ATC 2011

Every Automated Trading Championship allows to collect a huge amount of unique information, which can be used for conducting various researches and making interesting conclusions. This information is available to all visitors of the ATC website. One of the Participants of the current competition, the winner of the Automated Trading Championship 2007 Olexandr Topchylo (Better) took the advantage of this information to analyze the dependence of profitability of participating Expert Advisors on the money management used in them.

Maximum Deposit Loading

Different Expert Advisors use different trading ways. Some use only a tenth of the balance to open positions, others use the whole available amount. The less available funds are involved in open positions, the lower is the risk for a trading account. Although, it also means less potential profit.

The Expert Advisors that use a smaller part of the account balance for trading risk less. The onces that open positions with large lots risk more. Of course, in the Championship there are more Expert Advisors of the second type, because without high risks it is hard to win, if the criterion is the maximum balance at the end of the competition.

Therefore, we introduce a value of the level of deposit used. Level of deposit used is the maximum ratio of funds involved in open positions and the account equity.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Analytical Research by Better: Money Management in the ATC 2011.

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Sixth Week Report

The first half of the Championship has passed. Six weeks out of twelve ones are over but the intrigue still remains. The Expert Advisor of Igor Korepin (Xupypr) has eventually left our TOP-10 and never again will its chart cross the Championship leader - the Expert Advisor of mysterious ias. But Xupypr is still the leader by the number of Code Base downloads. His Expert Advisor has been downloaded over 1600 times. And we have great news - multi-currency trading robots are more profitable than single-currency ones!

It seems that multi-currency Expert Advisors will cause a real furor during the Championship. Everyone knows now that it would have been much better to make an Expert Advisor that is able to trade several currencies but only few know how. The chart of notused's Expert Advisor is not so beautiful as the one of ias but it is still advancing. Definitely, everyone understands that notused has good chances to find himself in TOP-3. The Championship comments section already has proposals concerning buying and selling most notable Expert Advisors but it is better to wait for the Market opening!

The full text is available on the Championship website - Sixth Week Report.

Reason: