Automated Trading Championship 2011 Has Started!

Today is October 3, 2011 and Automated Trading Championship 2011 has started. Completed are all the preparatory steps: all Expert Advisors of Championship participants have been finally checked and approved. This year 395 trading robots will fight for the 80 000 US dollars prize.

Top three places in terms of EAs allowed to the competition this year are shared by Russia (32,8%), Ukraine (9,5%) and China (5,3%). United States of America were on the third place last year. Now this country has descended to the seventh place sharing it with Indonesia. Nine EAs from Italy have surprisingly emerged in our top ten! By this criterion the Italians will be competing on equal terms with representatives of Bulgaria, while yielding one place to Japan.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Automated Trading Championship 2011 Has Started!

The Sponsors of the Automated Trading Championship 2011 are MIG Bank, Go Marketsand Vantage FX. The Media Sponsor of the Championship is Forex-TSD.

Preparing to Restart Terminals with Participating Expert Advisors

We remind you that according to paragraph III of the Rules, Participants' Expert Advisors must be "free of any critical programming bugs in the code" and easily handle such emergency situations. Restart of the Expert Advisors is scheduled for non-trading time between October 7 and 10, 2011.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Preparing to Restart Terminals with Participating Expert Advisors.

The Sponsors of the Automated Trading Championship 2011 are MIG Bank, Go Marketsand Vantage FX. The Media Sponsor of the Championship is Forex-TSD.

Automated Trading Championship 2011: First Week Report

From the first seconds of Monday, October 3, 2011 the quotes of the MetaQuotes-Demo trading server started their flow, almost four hundred trading terminals of the competition participants came to life and the first deals were made during the first seconds of the Championship. According to our experience, FIFO (First In, First Out) principle is most common during the competition. It means that the Expert Advisors which started their trading activity from the first minutes will most probably be the first to fall out of the race.

The first two days everyone's attention was grabbed by the successfull start of the participant sallirom from Spain. For such a short time the Expert Advisor enlarged the volume of the open position up to the maximum permissible value of 15 lots. Also, the Expert Advisor modified the Stop Loss of the open position actively. Finally, the deal was fixed with $12 140 of profit and the balance reached $22 140! But this is where sallirom's luck ended. A series of loss-making deals has devastated the balance. And now it is equal to less than $5000. It is hard to believe that there were the moments when the value of equity reached $34000!

The Champion crown was at once picked up by the Expert Advisor of gery18 from Slovakia and for now it seems it is not going to drop it. The Expert Advisor has finished the week without open positions but having almost $35000 on its account.

The full text is available on the Championship website - First Week Report.

Automated Trading Championship 2011: ATC Champions League

The Automated Trading Championship 2011 is notable in that all the previous winners of the competition participate in it. At the very beginning of the 2011 contest, when it is yet early to make any predictions, we talked to them about their win, about the new competition and the Expert Advisors that are fighting for the first place this year.

For the 2011 Championship, these participants have prepared completely new Expert Advisors, and we will follow their fate during the whole competition. But regardless of their results, these developers will remain for ever in the history of the Automated Trading Championship, since they were once able to successfully apply their talents and feel the market moods, and luck was once favorable to them.

The full text is available on the Championship website - ATC Champions League.

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Interview with Antonio Morillas (sallirom)

Antonio Morillas from Spain (sallirom) was first who doubled his starting balance from the beginning of the Championship and thus attracted our attention. His trading strategy is extremely risky. We decided to talk to Antonio about risk and luck as these are part and parcel of Automated Trading Championship.

What was harder: to develop a strategy or program it? Which language do you like more: MQL4 or MQL5?

The hardest thing was of course the strategy. Is not too difficult to code, by using MQL5 Wizard for example. I like MQL5 much more in this respect. It allows you to easily create a multi-currency Expert Advisor or an EA that contains several strategies. Personally I do not use MQL5 Wizard, as I prefer to have maximum control over the program. However, this tool will be very useful to create Expert Advisor for testing, especially for traders who do not know how to program.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Interview with Antonio Morillas (sallirom).

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Interview with Sergey Nikitin (VNIK)

In the second week of the competition, the Expert Advisor of Sergey Nikitin (VNIK) trading on two currency pairs EURUSD and EURJPY got featured on the very top drawing away from the rest. Multicurrency Expert Advisors always attract attention in the Championship, especially those that show good results. We talked with Sergey about the role of luck in a trader's life and his way of trading.

You are a regular participant of the Championship except for one year. Why did you miss ATC 2007? You participated in 2008, but your EA didn't trade. Was there an error in your program?

There was an interesting situation in 2007. My EA was not allowed to participate in the Championship. As far as I understand, the reason was that the final compilation was done on my work PC, while I sent it to the competition from home. In 2008 I didn't understand properly some of the new rules of the Championship, and eventually my system in the EA simply didn't receive all the necessary input data for trading and, accordingly, didn't open a single position. Well, it happens.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Interview with Sergey Nikitin (VNIK).

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Interview with Andrei Moraru (enivid)

Ukrainian programmer Andrei Moraru (enivid) is an active participant of the Automated Trading Championship beginning from 2007. Andrei had already come in our view at that time and now we have decided to find out if there occured any changes in his attitude towards trading and selection of trading strategies for the past four years, and also to know about his new Expert Advisor.

Why have you decided to share your Expert Advisor? Are you waiting for some comments and recommendations from your colleagues? Or may be you have some other reasons?

The strategy is quite good and worth sharing, I think. I usually share my MQL4/5 works that I consider worthy. It helps to improve them considerably. And I think that I must give something back, in case I use somebody else's work.

Do you think your Expert Advisor can be used in a real account?

That is my first Championship Expert Advisor that was tested on a demo account for a long time before the competition. It showed quite good results for eight months with a "mild" money management. I'm going to launch it on a real account beginning from the next year after some improvements concerning money management are implemented. But I don't recommend anybody to do the same, as the risk of losses exists.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Interview with Andrei Moraru (enivid).

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Third Week Report

The third week of the Championship became notable for the flat movement of the EURUSD pair which is the most popular among the participating Expert Advisors. A unique situation has come into being eventually - the difference between equity sizes of the first and the last participant in TOP-10 comprises only $4000! It is the first time in history of the Automated Trading Championship that we have such a small range of results among the first ten participants.

The third week of the Championship is over. It turned out to be quite ruthless towards those who had not fixed their profits in time. Only one participant was standing aside from all these dramatic events and waiting for better time - that is the Expert Advisor of tornhill from Germany. The last time it showed activity on October 17, i.e. a week ago. His Expert Advisor is called Every Breath but probably it is now the time to breathe, not to trade. And his position seems to be wise enough so far.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Third Week Report.

Automated Trading Championship 2011: Interview with Atsushi Yamanaka (alohafx)

What is common between skydiving, Futures, Hawaii, translations and spies? We didn't know it until we've managed to communicate with disqualified participant Atsushi Yamanaka (alohafx). His has a creed "Life is Good!", and one can hardly doubt that. It was interesting to know that distances between the continents are not an obstacle for communication among our Championship's participants.

You have created your EA in MQL5 Wizard. What do you think about it?

Fantastic toy! Perfect for the people like me who wants to make automatic trading robot but not very good at writing the code. The coding skill and strategy idea is totally different story. I believe there are lots of people who knows trading but not coding.

I want anyone to use my EA (if it works) as a MQL5 Wizard template to prepare for the next Championship.

The full text is available on the Championship website - Interview with Atsushi Yamanaka (alohafx).

Reason: