Download MetaTrader 5

Ocean theory based indicators

To add comments, please log in or register
Mladen Rakic
Mladen Rakic  

In this thread Jim Sloman's "Ocean theory" based indicators will be posted.

PS: this thread (as it stands right now) will have about 60 indicators posted here (metatrader 4 + metatrader 5 versions) Metatrader 4 versions are completed, but because I would like to post immediately it's metatrader 5 counter parts and descriptions that are a bit more usable, it takes some more time. Also, as I go along, some completely new ones are going to be posted. In order to know if there is an ongoing coding going on that will change the number of states I will always mark it on this post.

So the current state is : new code is in a process of preparing and will be posted as soon as possible

PS : a PS that I think needs to be added.

The whole thing with ocean indicators and me started from here :https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/178525 At that moment my information as of what are they it and how do they work were superficial. I did take some part in the indicators posted there but, later, found out that those are simply not what ocean indicators are. And then I started to code these. So do not be confused - these are what ocean indicators are and should be

Mladen Rakic
Mladen Rakic  
Files:
Mladen Rakic
Mladen Rakic  

Ocean ndx indicator - metatrader 5 version

Ocean ndx indicator - metatrader 5 version

Difference in parameters :
over bought color -> starting color used for gradient filling and an indicator that overbought conditions are met

over sold color -> ending color used for gradient filling and an indicator that oversold conditions are met

color steps for drawing -> number of steps to use for gradient drawing

If you want to turn the gradient coloring off you can do it in one of the following ways:
  1. set the number of steps to 1 (in which case just the starting color will be used)
  2. or use same starting (over bought) and ending (over sold) color
Files:
Mladen Rakic
Mladen Rakic  
Files:
Mladen Rakic
Mladen Rakic  

OCean nst indicator - metatrader 5 version

Ocean nst indicator - metatrader 5 version

Difference in parameters (same as for ndx, but in order to keep it clear, posting it here too):
over bought color -> starting color used for gradient filling and an indicator that overbought conditions are met

over sold color -> ending color used for gradient filling and an indicator that oversold conditions are met

If you want to turn the gradient coloring off you can do it in one of the following ways:
  1. set the number of steps to 1 (in which case just the starting color will be used)
Files:
Mladen Rakic
Mladen Rakic  
Files:
Mladen Rakic
Mladen Rakic  

Ocean nxc indicator - metatrader 5 version

Ocean nxc indicator - metatrader 5 version

Difference in parameters - (same as for ndx and nst, but in order to keep it clear, posting it here too):

Files:
Mladen Rakic
Mladen Rakic  

Natural moving average

Description

This study displays the Ocean moving average (NMA) The NMA is an adaptive moving average that responds very well to changes in volatility. Unlike its faster companion moving average (the NMA fast), this version is more subdued and docile during very short term swings in the market.

Usage

This version of the Ocean moving average offers a more consistent and stable analysis of price action than does the Fast version (NMA fast). In this respect, it better reflects the underlying tone of the market from a longer-term perspective. I tend to look at the difference between this version and the NMA fast as the difference between the tide and the waves of the Ocean. It's important to know about the waves (the NMA fast version), but ultimately it's the tide that determines how the waves hit the shoreline. Because more data is usually incorporated into the derivation of the NMA, it normally offers a more holistic view of the primary underlying trend of the market

Prices often return to the support or resistance levels determined by the NMA after long periods of trending behavior. When prices hover near the NMA and then break out by crossing the moving average, the moves tend to be of a longer duration than those resulting from breakouts of the NMA fast. Another way to apply the NMA to trading is by comparing the relative positions of this version (the NMA) and its faster companion study (the NMA fast). When the NMA is trading below the NMA, and particularly when both versions have a negative slope, the market is clearly in a downtrend. Conversely, when the NMA fast is trading above the NMA, and particularly when both versions have a positive slope, the market is clearly in an up-trend.
Parameters description :
NMA.Period -> period of ndx calculation

NMA.Price -> price to use in calculations

TEMA.Period -> period for pre-processing tema (triple EMA) smoothing of price

Updated version posted here : https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/179737

Files:
Mladen Rakic
Mladen Rakic  

Natural moving average - smoothed

This is a slight deviation fro the original NMA indicator. In my opinion, even the obvious usability and good properties makes NMA a very useful tool for trading, NMA at it's raw mode lacks a bit of smoothness.

This is one way of adding that smoothness to it. Applied smoothing is the Ehlers two pole smoother which I chose as one of the smoothers for its low lag and for giving satisfactory result

Parameters description :
NMA.Period -> period of ndx calculation

NMA.Price -> price to use in calculations

TEMA.Period -> period for pre-processing tema (triple EMA) smoothing of price

Smooth.Period-> period for post-processing smoothing of NMA result (two pole smoother applied)

Updated version posted here : https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/179737

Mladen Rakic
Mladen Rakic  

Natural moving average - metatrader 5 version

Natural moving average - metatrader 5 version

Difference in parameters : there is no difference in parameters. The only difference comes from a fact that in metatrader 5it is possible to place "descriptive labels" to parameters so the "pain in the a..." job we had before in remembering what does some cryptic name of some parameter mean is simply obsolete.

Files:
Mladen Rakic
Mladen Rakic  

Natural movin average smooth - metatrader 5 version

Natural moving average smooth - metatrader 5 version

Difference in parameters : there is no difference in parameters.