Need a Better Moving Average? Try the NMA

Hey guys, I wrote these indicators using Jim Sloman's formulas, which you can read about in his "Ocean Book". The first is call the natural moving average, based on 20 bar calculation. The second is using the natural market river formula and moving average based on the river data.

Entry rules - check 3 timeframes for a 0-line cross of the red line on the NMR indicator, and a close above the NMA. This indicator was also effective as a multi-time frame indicator.

Exit - the red NMR average line re-enters the outer yellow band, after breaching it. Or if it didn't make it to the outer band you can exit when it touches the opposite band or the 0 line. You can also exit if you get a close on the other side of the NMA.

Dustin

Files:
nma20.mq4  11 kb
nmr.mq4  16 kb
pic1_1.gif  14 kb

pretty slick

was it something else in 3 extra buffers(&colors)? (nma)

Files:
nma_ema11b.gif  25 kb

fxbs, you are the man for mtf here, have you put this in your mtf lab yet for testing =0

thanks to dusthovino, we need more out of the box coders like him around!

I had another time period for the other buffer. - feel free to delete unused buffers. Just waiting for someone to send me a gifted version of the full package so we can get develop a complete system.

dustovshio:
I had another time period for the other buffer. - feel free to delete unused buffers. Just waiting for someone to send me a gifted version of the full package so we can get develop a complete system.

full package as in the indicators sloman is selling? i think if anyone deserves such a gift, it would be you haha!

Thank you FXBS for posting the MTF versions...

Ethan Hunt

Trying to work out the longer time frames starting with daily 4hr and hourly as a basis for alerts and 5 minute for entries. Assume we could use gann lines or fib lines from previous sessions as exits and adr/1.5 for exits, that seems like a reasonable system. Not sure this works any better than conventional ma systems though. We need the mystical time element =) I;m sure dustohvino will be able to input something for the 4th dimension =)

Take a look on the 5minute and see what I am seeing.

upated to use heiken ashi bars for profit exits--when the bar goes to the oppsite direction on a 5 minute close take profits. If the NMA reverses exit for a loss.

Files:

not bad -

Files:

hi, Dustin, it's ok 4 now, and we can go ahead with MTFs and strategy, but you should really took good care about nma's Bars&CountedBars

Looks good, I think it's usually a good idea to take profits when the nmr re-enters the bands.

The difference between this, and a regular ema is that the ratio is calculated dynamically.

If we were able to get the full package, does anyone here have any idea whats's

involved in converting Tradestation code to Metatrader?

Dustin

no, i'm putting - you testing

ok, now your turn, guys - to come-up with a good system!

update 20080303

NMA_mtf.mq4 -out

NMR_mtf.mq4 -out

NMA20_mtf.mq4 (12.1 KB)

NMR20_mtf.mq4 (17.4 KB)

please, update your files, delete old NMA_mtf and NMR_mtf and install new -NMA20_mtf and NMR20_mtf

new files are same as prevois but name changed to avoid possible filename confusion in a future:

current nma(nmr) has period 20 only; future versions will have MA period external imput

Files:
nma_nmr.gif  12 kb
nma20_mtf.mq4  13 kb
nmr20_mtf.mq4  18 kb
Reason: