Interesting and Humour - page 3789

Sergey Golubev:

Even dumplings ... Back then, as a student, you'd go into a dumpling shop, buy three portions - and they smell great, and taste good, with vinegar, another portion with mayonnaise...
But now you go to the supermarket, buy dumplings, put them on the stove, and then you get sick of the bad smell, ventilating the flat...

I remember when couples/training was over, walking past your house, then past the Drama Theatre to the stadium. There were little shops like that ... cars drive on the cobblestones (the way Stirlitz used to drive in the movie), but I don't cross the road, and there's a little doughnut shop on the same side. I go in and order 15 to 20 doughnuts. But the saleswoman never gave me much icing sugar. Donuts don't taste good without icing sugar. Everyone scolded her, scolded her for years, and scolded her after me. But she never (ever!) gave plenty of icing sugar.

Then you go by the zoo, eat some dumplings on the way, then cross a little bridge and turn right - there's a little pelmeni shop. You order three portions of dumplings there.

And then you go home slowly.

------------

If I ate that much now, I wouldn't fit into my trousers for tomorrow.

Server Muradasilov:

I've always wondered what "free artists" live on, because they have a lot of competition to sell a painting and paints, brushes and canvases are not cheap, and they still manage to wander.)

They do not live off the sale of paintings, that's for sure. An architect, engaged in foreign trade, must have made good money, he started travelling in 1990 - at the age of 35, he could have earned some money by then.

Sergey Golubev:

I remember when classes were over, you would walk past your house, then past the Drama Theatre to the stadium. There are little shops like that ... cars drive on the cobblestones (the way Stirlitz used to drive in the movie), but I don't cross the road, and there's a little doughnut shop on the same side. I go in and order 15 to 20 doughnuts. But the saleswoman never gave me much icing sugar. Donuts don't taste good without icing sugar. Everyone scolded her, scolded her for years, and scolded her after me. But she never (ever!) gave plenty of icing sugar.

Then you go by the zoo, eat some dumplings on the way, then cross a little bridge and turn right - there's a little pelmeni shop. You order three portions of dumplings there.

And then you go home slowly.

------------

If I ate that much now, I wouldn't fit into my trousers for tomorrow.

I was on a business trip to Tbilisi in the early 80s, from November 10. It was more than 10 degrees below zero when I flew back from Moscow, we were waiting for boarding for a couple of hours at an airfield... When we arrived in Tbilisi it was +20, just paradise.

I think we should go and see the exotic local cuisine. I saw a hinka restaurant. As I entered I saw our dumplings, only bigger, the size of a dumpling. I stand in a queue. The only utensils I have are some fairly large aluminium bowls. I go over and ask for five of them. Complete silence reigns around me and all the Georgians look at me with poorly concealed pity as if I were a beggar. I cheer up and take 10 grand, clearly more than I wanted.

I come up to the table (a canteen like 'stall') and I see that the minimum portion for real men is 50 and that's why there are no ordinary plates but large aluminium bowls. One bowl with hinkali, one with radish, onion and cross salad. On the table are bottles of Stolichnaya full of red and black pepper. And every real man has a bottle of stolichnaya.

I ate five of them with great difficulty, ate some herbs with a taste not much different from horseradish, even radish, and, under sympathetic glances from real men, left the restaurant.

I never went to another khinkalo shop, although I weight about 100 without a gram of fat at that time.

I don't know the Soviet Union, I didn't have long for 10 years, but those were the worst times. Food shortages? Ha! There was no such thing, there was plenty of food, beer, wine, vodka, you could eat your fill. Firemen used to come to the pub to fill up, sometimes more than once. Books, yes at us this waste paper on 2 cases has gathered, there were book fairs from fairy tales, to a fantasy all and the translated foreign writers. Children's sweets toys full, you can say is not life but a fairy tale. But the fairy tale alas is not my childhood, on 90% of food allergies, two times a year rushed and began half a month hell, injections are painful, each nerve rings from pain and from pain paralyzes all body. My father, who was in the army, drank himself into chronic alcoholism in such a paradise; he did not need anything but vodka, books and food. As a boy I had to help my mother, even if I did not want to, she always had a tough argument. So every day, like donkeys, we walked from the market and dragged the munchies, who do not know, it always disappeared so quickly as if we were not 4 people but 10. When I was 8, I was given my first trip to a camp, not a camp, a concentration camp! After 2 weeks when they let my parents in I immediately demanded to be taken away. We cleaned the grounds in the morning, we cleaned the evening, after we cleaned the grounds we sang songs of praise to Lenin and the Party, and we had to learn everything. In 2 weeks we went for a hike once, along the ditch to look at the litter and the water. At the end of the week, before my parents came, we were allowed to have a wash at 9 a.m. Lights out, 6 a.m. wake-up, and no rest. There was a lot of other crap, but after the collapse it got even worse, the sausages were floated down the river, they created a deficit in the shops, but no matter how hard they tried to market it, it was all the same. That was the third time the state cheated and robbed us. Nazism has been awakened in the locals, just like in the Ukrainians, someone whom you thought to be your friend or classmate yesterday has become your enemy or no friend. Conscription age, there are horror stories about military service, there are many desertions and beatings on the grounds of ethnicity. Everyone tries to get out of the service, the military commissars understand and do not take it too seriously. Another neighbour, Sanaa, a patriot, got it into his head that he had to serve like his father. He thought because his father was in the army he would help, but he ended up in the same unit twice after he deserted. Then the president issued an order: if you want to join the army, you have to pay, if you don't want to join, you have to pay anyway. On this wave everybody started to pay off, not to defect. It was a tough time in the late nineties, salaries were withheld for six months, businesses were shutting down, there was no work, we lived on bursaries. The same scaremongering was going on in Moscow.

We had only one problem in Kaliningrad in the 1990s - there was no money. There were no other problems - neither ethnic nor other problems described here (and thank God there are none now), although we have many nationalities living here.

------------------

I recommend not talking about the 90s, otherwise the conversation will easily turn into politics...

Sergey Golubev:

We had only one problem in Kaliningrad in the 90s - there was no money. There were no other problems - neither ethnic nor other problems described here (and thank God there are none now), although we have many nationalities living here.

------------------

I recommend that we not talk about the 90s, because otherwise the conversation could easily turn into politics ...

Ha, ha, ... "I recommend not talking about the 2000s and 2017s, or the conversation will easily turn into politics ..."

Denis Sartakov:

Ha, ha,... "I recommend not talking about the 2000-2017s or the conversation will easily devolve into politics..."

I meant the previous post ... Read it and you'll understand... If it goes that way with wording about nationalities - then it will definitely turn into politics with squabbles, etc. (with the deletion of posts and so on). If you can't talk about the '90s in a different way, it's better to talk about the '70s and '80s (about doughnuts, student years and Lenin scholarship holders, for example).

Sergey Golubev:

I meant the previous post ... Read it and you'll understand ... If you go on like this with wording about nationalities - it will definitely turn into politics with squabbles, etc. (with the deletion of posts and so on). If you can't talk about the '90s in a different way, it's better to talk about the '70s and '80s (about donuts, student years and Lenin scholarship holders for example).

It is better to remember that 1 kg of potatoes for 10 kopecks, bread for 10 kopecks, ........, you burn gas for a month with 4 burners + oven for only 4 kopecks (we had it that way). It turns out that there was communism, but we didn't notice it. No one knew or needed to know that the almighty dollar existed somewhere, even though it was denominated in the depths of the economy as 60 kopecks (5 rubles on the black market).

Yousufkhodja Sultonov:
Better to remember that 1 kg of potatoes - 10 kop, bread - 10 kop, ........, burning gas for a month in 4 kopeks + oven - only 4 kop (we had it that way). It turns out that there was communism, but we didn't notice it. No one knew or needed to know that an almighty dollar existed somewhere, although it was denominated in the depths of the economy as 60 kopecks (5 rubles on the black market).

They didn't know about the dollar (they didn't think so), but they knew about the West.

Back then, Pink Floyd was banned from entering the USSR, and the Beatles record came out in the USSR at the time, small and without the name of the ensemble. The record had something like "Vocal and Instrumental Ensemble" written on it, and one Beatles song. It was an event, but late in the day. Many people already had different records and in the original.

As students, we were not much into record collecting, and the main collectors of originals were our teachers (that is, our Soviet teachers were more Western than we students) - somehow they imported it all through sailors, those gave it away/sold it, there were different collectors: technical teachers collected jazz rock (Jean-Luc Ponty, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Weather Report, etc.). University lecturers in the humanities used to collect rock records.
For example, a lecturer would give us a lecture on political economy and party politics and then go home to listen to a Jimi Hendrix record.

Sergey Golubev:

That must have been the '90s.
I think back to the 70s and early 80s.

There was some negativity in the '70s and early '80s, but it was mainly related to human rights, as I understood it later. That is if a person does not cross, as it is fashionable to say now, "red lines", then he is fine.

• For example, a student who defended his diploma in English (and at that institute there was only one teacher who knew English, the rest did not know the language) - he had problems: he was not hired anywhere for a long time (anywhere and nowhere). Then, in the 90s and onwards, everything changed (those "blacklists" must have been cancelled).
  • Or when a researcher has made a publication in the local University Press, he noticed from abroad and began to invite such things as Holland for exhibitions and presentations. But he (researcher) is not a member of the party and nobody. That is where the problem is ... for many years.
  • Or when an officer served in the North on warships without ever being a Party member (by conviction) ... Problems ...

That is, if one stuck his head out too far, it could be bad.
This was not explained at schools and universities, most people did not know this at the time and many people still do not remember any of this (as it did not affect them or their environment).

By the way, the word Manager was not used then. Instead it was said - leader, management, boss ...(a leader may be ashamed, but a manager - never).

But all bad things fade away and all good things come to mind - not in the sense of reality, but in the sense of good relations between people, absence of bitterness, mutual help, friendship ... families used to visit each other ...

this was the soviet period of the 60-70s-80s.

Reason: