Experts: Milestone - page 55

nurmalso:
emixam:
Don't know about you guys but Milestone 22.5 has been good for me this week.

Yes, its good. Overall since November.

But anyway... is somebody here, who can code a hard stoploss in?

Looking forward, we all know that this trading style will some day go bust. Not today, not tomorrow but maybe next week or month. The positions are growing and one day, the big move will come and take our equity out.

If I look to my demo account, where I close many positions in the dark red and its still in profits overall, we can use a stoploss. For my thoughts, a 100 pips would do the job. Should be adjustable. Some pairs may need more, some the less, someone risk 250 pips for a 20 pip win but overall, then we KNOW the risk for each trade. At the moment, we only have the relative stoploss, what not always do the job, cause you need this 14 winning trades before and a positive equity too.

Overall, Milestone enters much more profitable trades as losing ones .... but trading without stoploss will go bust. There is no excuse and no way out.

So... who can do that? It should be a little piece of code in the order entrys... I have no clue about that. But I can test it and I'll do that in both, my demo and my live account.

It's not very sexy, but I use the Swiss Army EA to insert stoplosses on all orders.

magikrat:

It's not very sexy, but I use the Swiss Army EA to insert stoplosses on all orders.

Sounds like a quick and dirty solution. Trying that in demo now for a couple days.

Edit: This is enabled for my real account too. All positions what is not already more than a hundred pips in the red got a stoploss of 100 pips now. I think in a couple days or even weeks, I have a result. And for sure, this way my account will grow slower but now I know my risk for each position.

So how did you use this swiss EA? Did you open a second chart window for your symbol with the same magic number for the swiss EA or is ther another way to run two EAs on the same symbol?

MartinG:
So how did you use this swiss EA? Did you open a second chart window for your symbol with the same magic number for the swiss EA or is ther another way to run two EAs on the same symbol?

It depends on how your charts are laid out, but I opened a new M1 chart for every pair and set the SL there. You can set the EA to control every trade with that pair so that's what I did. You can also set it up by magic number. I put one new chart per pair so I can set different SL points if I ever get that far.

I've only tested using a stoploss for one day, but so far with 13 pairs open, the results are not good with a 100 point SL. I've gone to 150 on a couple of pairs already to see if I can give the trades a bit more time to develop. I'm torn on SL strategy because if left alone, Milestones has outstanding results. It's when a pair or pairs take a big dump that you lose it all. I want to give the trades room to develop without having every SL transaction wiping out all of the gains of the winners.

magikrat:
I've only tested using a stoploss for one day, but so far with 13 pairs open, the results are not good with a 100 point SL. I've gone to 150 on a couple of pairs already to see if I can give the trades a bit more time to develop. I'm torn on SL strategy because if left alone, Milestones has outstanding results. It's when a pair or pairs take a big dump that you lose it all. I want to give the trades room to develop without having every SL transaction wiping out all of the gains of the winners.

I figured the same last night and today. 100 Pips is too tight for milestone. I'll test 150 Pips the coming week. Today I got a ton of closed positions. Its 1000 Pips or 10 Positions closed. In summary I got -630 pips in the last 20 hours, so the greens are not enough to compare the reds.

But I agree. I want to let this run without coming home with a margin call. Better to lose a couple of trades -150 as to drive it against the wall. One day there will be this move and with more than 2 or 3 pais, you have a lot of correlation, so a big usd or nzd or euro move will hit hard.

I learned the hard way, that trading without stoploss ruins and that losing is part of trading. All I want is my winners compare the losses plus a little. And that for the long term, not just a week or two.

I destroyed my week. Not only with 100 pip stoploss, I traded the german dax cfd and well. I'm not too good in manual trading. Too much risk and too bad setups. I should know better. :) I still have a green month but my performance goes down to +3.6% for the month.

Still not too bad but has been 12% before yesterday. Hrm.

All in all, its expensive to test this stoploss things with real money but demo is bullshit, that means nothing to me. We'll see, how 150 pips stoploss performs next week.

And btw, I have swissarmy running in just one empty chart and let it handle every position. The setting is like this:

id===== Identity Settings ====
Symbol_Specific=0
MagicNum_Specific=0
MagicNumber=9999
SelectiveScan=0
RequireAllConditions=0
cond===== Conditions: General ====
Immediate_Activation=1
Time_Activation=0
Time_Hour=23
Time_Minute=55
Minimum_FreeMargin=0
FreeMargin_LessThan=0
pro_cond===== Conditions: Profit-Based ====
MaxProfit_Dollar=0
MaxProfit_Pip=0
MaxProfit_Percent=0
loss_cond===== Conditions: Loss-Based ====
MaxLoss_Dollar=0
MaxLoss_Pip=0
MaxLoss_Percent=0
action===== Actions: General ====
CloseOrders=0
HedgeOrders=0
mod_action===== Actions: Modify Orders ====
SetTakeProfit=0
SetStoploss=1
RemoveTakeProfit=0
RemoveStoploss=0
input_action===== Action Inputs ====
TakeProfit=0
Stoploss=1500
otype===== Order Types: Standard ====
Allow_All_Types=1
Buy_Active=0
Sell_Active=0
Buy_Stop=0
Sell_Stop=0
Buy_Limit=0
Sell_Limit=0
manage===== Stop Management ====
BreakEvenAt=0
BreakEvenSlide=0
TrailingStop=0
OnlyTrailProfits=0
extra===== Extra Settings ====
ExpertName=Swiss Army EA
Disable_Comments=0
Slippage=3
sep==============================
author=Programming:  Ryan Klefas
contact=Email:  rklefas@inbox.com
web=Website:  www.forex-tsd.com

nurmalso:
magikrat:

I figured the same last night and today. 100 Pips is too tight for milestone. I'll test 150 Pips the coming week. Today I got a ton of closed positions. Its 1000 Pips or 10 Positions closed. In summary I got -630 pips in the last 20 hours, so the greens are not enough to compare the reds.

But I agree. I want to let this run without coming home with a margin call. Better to lose a couple of trades -150 as to drive it against the wall. One day there will be this move and with more than 2 or 3 pais, you have a lot of correlation, so a big usd or nzd or euro move will hit hard.

I learned the hard way, that trading without stoploss ruins and that losing is part of trading. All I want is my winners compare the losses plus a little. And that for the long term, not just a week or two.

I destroyed my week. Not only with 100 pip stoploss, I traded the german dax cfd and well. I'm not too good in manual trading. Too much risk and too bad setups. I should know better. :) I still have a green month but my performance goes down to +3.6% for the month.

Still not too bad but has been 12% before yesterday. Hrm.

All in all, its expensive to test this stoploss things with real money but demo is bullshit, that means nothing to me. We'll see, how 150 pips stoploss performs next week.

And btw, I have swissarmy running in just one empty chart and let it handle every position. The setting is like this:

I'm sad to hear what had happened.

Now i'm thinking if the best way to actually solve the problem of big moves is to enable the calendar and filter out trading for heavy/major news so our open positions don't get swept to SL territory. Or an alternative is to disable the EA itself in major news events. EA's during major news would really be at a confusion most of the time and hard to cope.

I was just lucky last NFP start of Feb when my open trades closed profit because NFP was for the open trades favor.

Yesterday for example, it was not good, because of the major news at start of EUR session, my EUR positions went to deep SL where i could have avoided it if i turned the EA off before the news.

why havent you guys tried milestone 10.4, i have backtested it with gbpjpy and eurusd, its performance was better than 22.5.

i only changed mingrowth- 0.055, maxgrowth-0.081, and marginusage- 0.08, other settings leave as default. you dont need stoploss with relative stop set at 1, the results were perfect.

i believe the secret is trade with 200usd minimum or 300usd maximum and place each pair in its own mt4 with its own milestone 10.4, you can trade all 20 pairs in twenty different accounts and make money without ever having your account being blown. you can take your profits weekly, monthly or every three months tops.

I think 10.4 trades best with micro accounts and a good ECN/STP broker.Remember, trade only with the money you can afford to loose, what this means is that when you open twenty different micro accounts

with 200 or 300usd each, you are minimizing your risk to the barest minimum, there is no way you will loose all twenty accounts at once even if your platform gets disconnected from the broker's server, this is

commonsense and you can still make the same money or even more than if you had the whole amount in one account with multiple pairs on multiple charts in one mt4 trading platform

From my test results, 10.4 is better than 22.5 in terms of trading micro accounts, i repeat, 10.4 is better in trading micro accounts than 22.5, its like trevone customized 10.4 to trade with micro accounts of 300usd max.

dydynamic:

why havent you guys tried milestone 10.4, i have backtested it with gbpjpy and eurusd, its performance was better than 22.5.

I test around with that since yesterday and made a lot of backtests. The 22.5 shows as good results as 10.4. Both manage to go bust at some special days.

What I figured in this tons of backtesting is this - and I think its important and I'll review my live data - around 90% or even more of the profitable trades are closed within minutes or even below 2 hours. For the case that the relative stop do not work, what it dont, if the account goes bust, I'll let swissarmy limit the losses to 20% of balance each trade and I'll let a timebased ea limit the time for each trade to a maximum of 3 hours.

Sadly I can not test this all together in backwards testing but what can I lose forward....

At this point I did not decide if I use milestone 22.5 or 10.4 ... but what I for sure know is, I'll limit the maxtrades to 1 for each and every pair. I'll not accept anymore, that one single trade lasts for days, weeks and months.

What I test atm is, how the Refreshhours change the performance. At the moment I'm testing with 6 hours instead of 24. We'll see.

A few days before I mentioned to one friend "dont split your funds" but this way, having 10 Terminals for 10 pairs, one pair each terminal, that could work. The Risk for each terminal is too big but for the whole account its ok overall.

Well. I think the coming week will show, if it makes sense to cut losing trades after a special amount of time. But I think yes. That generates losing trades but what can I win, if one trade is locking a pair for 4 weeks, better to generate one losing trade and go for another chance one hour later.

My thoughts so far.

The key is, to find a suitable lot size to get the profit at around 15 pips. Cut the losses at 20 to 30 pips. Don't let a single trade run for more than 12 hours. I can not say in percent but do the following:

open strategy tester, load Milestone 22.5 with following settings:

Starting with 300 euro or usd, use at elast 3 month of data. Account should grow 50 to 100% within 3 month. Sounds a lot? Yes. Are we here for 1% a year? no.

(Importand sidenote: I'm trading at 1:50 leverage, so if you get 1:100, use the half of my marginuse, if you trade 1:200, use only 1/4 of my marginuse, so e.g. 0.09 at 1:200 instead of my 0.35 and 0.045 at 1:400)

SafeSpread=0

SafeGrowth=1
SafeExits=1
SafeMilestone=1
EnableStop=1
CarryProfits=1
AvoidSpikes=1
TrueRange=1
KillBasket=0
SignalFrontA=1
SignalFrontB=1
TradeMonday=1
TradeFriday=1
SignalAStartHour=0
SignalAEndHour=23
SignalBStartHour=0
SignalBEndHour=23
MaxTrades=1
RefreshHours=6
SleepSeconds=3600
BasketSeconds=3600
KillSeconds=3600
BasketProfit=0.00000000
OpenProfit=0.04000000
MinProfit=0.02000000
SafeProfit=0.01000000
StopGrowth=0.10000000
MilestoneGrowth=0.04000000
RelativeStop=0.30000000
QueryHistory=10
TrendBars=30
MinRange=3.00000000
MinTrend=1.00000000
MaxTrend=6.00000000
MinMarginLevel=0.90000000
MarginUsage=0.35000000
BackupMargin=0.00500000
MinLots=0.01000000
TradeSpace=10.00000000
MaxSpread=5.00000000
CandleSpike=5.00000000
SpikeCount=3

ATRPeriod=14

ATRTimeFrame=0

MA1Period=120
MA2Period=40
MAShiftCheck=10
MATimeFrame=0

The marginuse is that parameter with the most influence to success or lose, if the tradesize is too small, you need too many pips and remember, mostly we trade against trend at psychologic levels e.g. eur/usd trend is long, reach 1.38, market reverse for a couple bars before it takes the doublezero for continue with trend.

So, if we need 15 pips to get our profits, we are fine most of the time. If we need 80 pips for our profits, cause trade is too small or profit setting is too big, we fail most of the time.

So for the future, do not talk about lotsize and marginuse without telling your leverage, is really important, as long as we open trades on a "use X% of the balance as margin" - its important that everyone understand this method of calculation lotsize.

This is, why some people here are successful with milestone, some are not.

Onces this is clear, we can finetune the EA

My whishlist for the future, if someone can do this is:

1: hard stoploss and take profit on a percent of balance basis

2: hard time limit for each trade. Adjustable as bars or minutes or hours.

3: trailingstop and breakeven for those traders, who want to ride a successful trade for more pips

4: Milestone should still manage the trade, if stoploss or takeprofit are not to get and close positions like it do right now on an indicator basis

There are some EAs around, what can do the jobs but its more nice to have this all in one EA.

And for sure, there is no need to hide stops from brokers. Its even more important to set them hard, to avoid what happened last thursday, Oanda has been offline for around 2 hours.

If your broker hunts your stoploss, dont hide your stop, change your broker to one, who like if you win. E.g. oanda or fxcm or many more. Last but not least, be not afraid of low leverage. High leverage only means, you can trade 1 lot with 100 euro balance. Makes that sense? Wanna go bust in 5 minute? ok. Nevermind. Can win big? Yes. How often in a row? ....

Reason: