The Financial Times Stock Exchange 100 (FTSE 100, or the Footsie) is a share index representing an average of share prices in the 100 largest, most actively traded companies on the London Stock Exchange.
The FTSE 100 measures the daily share price performance of those 100 firms.
As the Financial Times explains, if the FTSE 100 is up, it means there are more people buying than selling and share prices have risen. Conversely, if more people are dumping shares the index goes down.
The index began on 3 January 1984 at the base level of 1000 and is maintained by the FTSE Group, today's wholly owned subsidiary of the London Stock Exchange which originated as a joint venture between the Financial Times and the London Stock Exchange.
The highest closing value reached to date is 7037.67 (with an intra-day high of 7065.08), on 23 March 2015.
- 325 Wave Count Elliott Wave Analysis on FTSE 100 and S&P500 FTSE 100 On UK index, FTSE100 we expect more gains in
- 889 Market News European stocks lifted by carmakers as Volkswagen jumps
- 808 Market News Dollar jumps to fresh 8-month highs ahead of data;
- 737 Market News Turkish lira, airline stocks drop on reports Turkey
- 802 Market News European shares hit three-month highs on Fed
- 979 Market News European stocks fall as Paris raid rattles markets
- 654 Market News EC backs France's decision to boost security spending;
- 617 Market News Stock markets jump as worries over France fade
- 1 023 Market News Wall Street opens on a weaker note after Paris tragedy;
- 615 Market News Moody's warning, Portugal developments, Chinese
- 698 Analytics & Forecasts Quick Technical Overview - FTSE 100 Index: bear market
- 1 903 Market News VW emissions scandal widens to gas-fueled cars; DAX
- 1 198 Currency Euro lower after data showed Spanish unemployment
- 713 Market News European stocks mostly higher after PMI reading
- 719 Currency Pound jumps as U.K. factory growth hits 16-month peak
- 975 Market News No more deflation in euro area; Unemployment slides to
- 1 151 Market News Wall Street higher at open ahead of Fed
- 1 295 Market News Dollar swings, while European stocks rise ahead of FOMC
- 734 Market News European stocks retreat from 2-month peak after mixed
- 1 097 Market News Stocks, metals jump as China cuts rates again
- 901 Market News London stocks dip after China numbers; U.K. inflation
- 897 Market News Pound drops, FTSE jumps after Bank of England holds
- 724 Market News Sterling jumps, FTSE 100 dips ahead of Bank of England
- 998 Currency Euro drops as German and Spanish industrial output
- 552 Market News U.S., European indices rise as markets digest global
- 1 318 Currency Dollar moves lower vs euro, pound as FOMC meeting
- 723 Market News European stock markets shrug off China's losses, move
- 1 371 Analytics & Forecasts FTSE 100 Index Outlook for September - correction to
- 862 Market News Markets jump as euro area growth hits four-year high;
- 840 Market News Morgan Stanley sees "full-house buy signal" in European