Errors, bugs, questions - page 2456

Vladimir Karputov:
Read Help. Read "FAQ on the Signals service". Watch video help on the Signals service.
And for the time being, I strongly recommend to DISCONNECT signal copying on this trading account in desktop local terminals: you have a VPS running to copy signals.
Is it better not to open Metatrader on your phone? Or is it irrelevant to it?

FidelM:
Is it better not to open Metatrader on your phone? Or is it irrelevant?

You can open a terminal on your local PC or on your phone - you need to monitor trades, don't you? The main thing is not to have a situation where the signal subscription is switched on at the same time on two terminals.

Ilyas:

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and trading strategy testing

Bugs, bugs, questions

Alexey Kozitsyn, 2019.05.03 11:24

I can't put a file with # in its name into storage. Is this normal behaviour or a bug?

While compiling the project in ME(build 2025), Win10 crashed (no minidump).

After restarting the PC, the project include file (*.mqh) was completely empty (all data was overwritten so NUL (0x00)).
What the hell?
Do backups, if compiling code can drop user data forever, this is not the case.

Alexey Kozitsyn:

A file with a # in its name cannot be added to the storage. Is this normal behaviour or a bug?

Thanks for the message, we'll check it out.

Comments not related to this topic have been moved to "Questions from MQL4 MT4 MetaTrader 4 beginners".

Sergey Dzyublik:
While compiling the project in ME (build 2025), Win10 crashed (no mini-dump).

After rebooting the PC, the project file (*.mqh) turned out to be completely empty (all data was overwritten with NUL (0x00)).
What the hell?
Do backups, if compiling code can drop user data forever, that's not the point.

What kind of error was indicated on the BSOD ?
How often does this behaviour occur ?

Heard about it from an acquaintance, when working in VS, on compilation (very rarely, not more than once a month) there was a BSOD, after which the contents of the source files appeared to be filled with zeros.
I don't remember the details, but it was solved by replacing the PC.

The MQL compiler doesn't use any "tricky" tricks and reads the contents of the compilation files in a simple and reliable way:

1. Open file for reading
  2. Determine size and allocate buffer
  3. Read content
  4. Close the file and only after that can you parse it
I'll double-check how the files are saved before starting the compilation.

If the error occurs frequently, try for example to disable antivirus

Ilyas:

What error was indicated on the BSOD ?

Thank you very much for the detailed reply.
The BSOD was in the form of a PC reboot, so there is no error code or minidump file.
Nothing interesting in the event logs (the standard "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first...").

The problem of wiping the file is not new, it happened 3 years ago on Windwos 7, the source code of mq4 file got wiped during compilation/debugging during BSOD.
Also about 2 years ago a user reported this problem on the forum, unfortunately no comment could be found.

How often does this behaviour occur ?

No BSOD for about 9 months, but this is the 3rd in the last week (once BSOD with MEMORY CORRUPTION in kernel process, second was Windows freeze, today reboot during compile/debug in MT).
Apart from skype nothing new has been installed, removing it didn't help.

The wipe problem occurs when a non-standard Windows shutdown hits the MT compilation/debug.
Today the actual work got overwritten, not a test piece of code as it was before (a few years ago) - so there is a reaction to the incident.

Ilyas:
If the error occurs often, try disabling antivirus, for example

The problem is having this problem, not finding a workaround.

I'll double-check how the files are saved before starting the compilation.

It's not hard for me to look it up myself,
Unfortunately I'm completely lacking knowledge about OS crash behavior, so we'll assume based on the result - all source *.mqh data is overwritten to 0x00.

What happens when you compile the project in MT5(build 2025):
1. The first thing that catches my eye is that I pass through all tabs in ME and write NTFS streams for each of the open files.

*.mqh:CursorPos:$DATA   // положение курсора (строка, столбец) + первая видимая строка при scroll-е.
*.mqh:LineFlags:$DATA   // не понятно для чего

I have > 50 tabs open of which I have 8 project files.
As a result for one project compilation we get (8 + 50) * 2 = 116 overwritten NTFS streams files of 440 bytes each.
On SSD this takes 0.2 sec.

2. If you find a file with changes and it exists on disk, it is overwritten with new data from memory.
Overwriting takes place for all changed files, no matter whether they are from this project or not.

Most likely, as a result of crash Windows is cleared from memory allocated in ME for source *.mqh , but thread performing write to the file continues its work.
As a result, when saving changes to file, the number of bytes to write is correct, but the reference points to already cleared memory, overwriting the source code in \x00.

After changing the account password, it is not possible to log in to metaeditor with the new password and access the repository

If you get your password back, you can log back in again

it's not a joke or a true story, it's an error alert. Just try changing the password via the website and then logging into the repository via metaeditor.

Reason: