Big changes for MT4, in a few weeks - page 109

Good day to all,

First, hats off to all the developers, mladen, cja, and others who have been painstakingly working to resolve and identify issues with Metaquotes attempt of making MQL4 code compatible with the upgraded MQL4/5 compiler. I'm sure the entire MQL community are appreciative of all your efforts, thank you.

Only recently I became aware of this MQL5->MQL4 merger and I imagine the likely discomfort that now rests with MT4 users worldwide. Myself as well share a similar sentiment, as I've also accumulated a mountain of MQL4 codebase over several years. However, from a more holistic view as to where Metatrader is going, it appears inevitable that this is probably the best way to go. The conductivity of MT4 is probably like no other, and we are all aware of the current although tolerable limitations of the previous MQL4 conventions. Probably such a transition could have been more issue free, nevertheless, overall I think this will likely be a welcomed MQL4 upgrade for most.

Beyond this hurdle of achieving a reasonable degree compatibility with old MQL4 code, eventually the benefits of the MQL5 vision will soon surface, to the benefit of all. The simplest path going forward I imagine, is to try to port your most critical EAs/indicators and monitor for stability. Some of the more subtle internal bugs like the array issues spotted by mladen and others are very important and must be highlighted as critical with Metaquotes. They needs us as much as we need them so, hopefully, such repairs would come more quickly. MT4 is an excellent tool and we have devoted a lot to it, especially the MQL4/5 developer community that fuels the possibilities, of great analytical tools and Experts Advisors, their work has been invaluable.

Keep up the good work people, I think the current direction might be best. I'm just now looking at the details of the MQL5 manual and changes to MQL4 docs; got quite a bit of indicators/EAs to put to test in 604; (current version in use, 509) I will post if I find peculiar behavior. The experiences posted so far was very useful, thanks to all.

A lot of things are said about mql5 but seems that some things are constantly left out : mql5 is an overcomplicated, clumsy imitation of a C++ that, among other things, was unable to overload functions like IndicatorSetInteger(), indicatorSetDouble() and IndicatorSetString() functions (and hundreds of cases similar to these 3 - all that in an coding environment that claims that functions overloading is a routine thing). Instead of being a coding language for TRADING platform, it is some language for some kind of trading (that nobody seems to be using - not even US regulated brokers)

Making mql4 coding language migrate towards mql5 is a nonsense that will have the same end as metatrader 5 had : nobody is posting or writing usefull code for it (and please, before I get crucified for what I told, check when was the first time I posted mql5 code sources and how much mql5 code I have written annd posted in all these years of metatrader 5)

Its really a good decision indeed. I am really thankful to the decision and for the news. It will bring more success to us hopefully.

mladen, yes indeed, I think most of these shortcomings are probably true of MQL5 and rightfully so, its functions must deliver as advertised, otherwise it will be rendered unreliable and possibly unusable for the given application for which it was built.

I think though like with most things, it could have been a larger issue of timing when deciding to expand the initial MQL4 feature set; and so as the time has now arrived to move beyond the seeming deadlock or stagnation of the most recent version 5, I'd like to be hopeful that the providers would now make good on the promises as should have been contained in the product to begin with.

There had been a number of essential things I would have liked to do in MQL4 but given the current status of what I'd deemed possible, it was never convenient and therefore my strategy had been to incorporate supplementary solutions using other tools albeit designating MT4 as a primary enabler. While no one tool can fit all purposes, I think the options for greater interoperability and extended/ or distributed processing suggests very useful possibilities, in the MT4 context. In addition, the new standard library I can see will be more convenient for deploying more flexible analytics from the MT4-frontend point of view.

It appears that now is the time to move forward, one step at a time. It's likely we'd able to improve many things of our current MQL4 work. But first, we try to make sure that as much of the current MQL4 codebase functions stable without issue... and hopefully, Metaquotes tighten up their own code and not further frastrate our efforts.

Its not such the bed of roses over on FF, the post upgrade euphoria seems to of worn off

on a side issue - i wonder if someone can tell me if EAs run off offline charts and if so do they still work in 604?

thanks

WR1:
Its not such the bed of roses over on FF, the post upgrade euphoria seems to of worn off

on a side issue - i wonder if someone can tell me if EAs run off offline charts and if so do they still work in 604?

thanks

WR1

If EAs are working or not on offline charts depends on the way how offline charts generating software is sending ticks (events) to the target offline chart. If that software does not do that properly, the EA will not work. Test the renko live chart (version 3.303) and you will see that you can run eas even on a multiple offline chart with same "time frame"

Hi Mladen

thanks,

unfortunately i have zero experience of EAs, except for some strategy testing of some random EAs off the net that never worked too well

could the New P4L or something similar be used to generate the data for an offline chart EA

WR1:
Hi Mladen

thanks,

unfortunately i have zero experience of EAs, except for some strategy testing of some random EAs off the net that never worked too well

could the New P4L or something similar be used to generate the data for an offline chart EA

WR1

Yes,. In the upper left corner it is a result of an EA that was called on a tick generated by the P4L indicator ( version 1.01 used and it means that EA is working correctly).

Files:
offline_ea.gif  30 kb

Thanks Mladen

now i just need to build the EA and find a reliable Broker for EAs

i suspect building the EA might be the easier of the two

thanks alot

My metatrader is still build 509 :):)

Reason: