IMax Indicator

Hi Traders and coders!

Here is an indicator that has been coded before... I didn't like previous versions so I started from scratch and rebuilt it to suit me at the time... I have had it for awhile, and though I am not currently using it, I still find it a great little indicator. It is a Modified Optimum Elliptic Filter, but I display two lines on the chart for crossing detection, one out of phase with the other. It only has one parameter input and that is the phase shift. It can be used on any timeframe.

I made sure not to use any divisions in the calculations to avoid any divide by zero errors, and I haven't had any errors from this indicator in my own use of it... so I will post it, and maybe others will find faults I have not with it...

Hope it comes in handy to others, as it has been to me, from time to time, but don't expect I am always at the forum for feedback... I visit occasionally, and might respond if I cross this way again some time...

Good luck trading!

Since originally posting the basic iMAX indicator an alert version was added by me, is attached below... and MTF display versions soon followed by other contributors... thanks to kang_gun Senior Member, and xard777 Senior Member for their iMAX MTF contributions. There are links to more recently improved versions below as well.

The iMAX alert version of the indicator was initially the most improved by users here for manual trading purposes... you can change display colors, enable alerts and trend arrors and so on...

A rudimentary iMAX trading system package emerged and it is attached below as well. iMAX alerts let you know when to check the status of an open order or exit early, and Instantaneous Trendline alerts occur at a very good time to close an order when a trade goes well... MTF versions also contribute to determining good entries and exits... and there is some discussion about that in the thread.

During the ongoing thread an interesting rather sophisticated trading system by beppi called "Bookkeeper" was uploaded to this thread, and I think it deserves more exposure for all the work beppi has obviously put into it, and I did suggest to beppi that Bookkeeper deserves it's own thread... but just in case... if anyone wants to check it out here, attached is what I believe to be beppi's latest version of "Bookkeeper" as well, at no extra charge!!!

iMAX has now been used in a dashboard initially contributed by ecuaforex, and improved by xard777. One version is located at this post: https://www.forex-tsd.com/forum/debates-discussions/10710-imax-indicator/page7#comment_371998 A small horizonatal MTF display was contributed here: https://www.forex-tsd.com/forum/debates-discussions/10710-imax-indicator/page4#comment_370210 and another small MTF display was located at this post... but I hope he fixed it... I had some problems, but just in case you want to check it out too here it is: https://www.forex-tsd.com/forum/debates-discussions/10710-imax-indicator/page8#comment_372383

iMAX is becoming recognized as a reliable fast trend detector useful as a source for multiple time frame/MultiCurrency trading alerts, for dashboard type displays, and possibly as an input to an EA.

An enhanced iMAX or iMAXhp (hi performance) has been released and is now posted in the thread with adaptations for the iMAXalert and kang_gun's iMAX MTF Detector... at the following link: https://www.forex-tsd.com/forum/debates-discussions/10710-imax-indicator/page8#comment_372598

It is apparent that iMAXhp as contributed is optimally configured for EURUSD and there is more information about adapting it to other currencies... especially JPY with a big difference in price given in the thread... I discuss how to make any code changes in this post: https://www.forex-tsd.com/forum/debates-discussions/10710-imax-indicator/page9#comment_372748

An integrated indicator has now been produced... the iMAXalert indicator built into the iMAXhp Fast Trend Detector... more reliable operation... with lots of user options available at this post: https://www.forex-tsd.com/forum/debates-discussions/10710-imax-indicator/page9#comment_372985

Unfortunately folks... I have been being harassed to a point in this thread... by one member, where I feel I cannot accomplish what I intendened to do here for traders and coders, and I was looking forward to contributing more... but feel a great stumbling block is interferring with that... to a point where I simply cannot afford the time to remain involved here. So, you are welcome to the contributions I have made that you might find beneficial in your trading practices, and I wish you all the best of luck as always.

Forgotten screen shots of iMAX

Seems like screen shots help to show what an indicator can do... so I will try to post a couple examples.

One of the things I liked about this indicator is that even when things got rough... it performed fairly well as the screen shots show. And, when coupled with Standard Deviation, or Damiani Voltatmeter, or Force Index, or even VHF can be mixed as a filter, to take out the rough spots, it shows some promise.

Files:
imax.gif  14 kb
imax2.gif  14 kb

looks nice, thank you Wiley

pretty straight 4 such short period (i+2)

interesting how it does with longer periods also -do you have ones?

which one ecliptic filer - what formula, where its from?

thank you

İs this Optimum Elliptic Filter derived from EMA or SMA?

One more thought about iMax before I start other things...

One of the reasons I called this indicator iMAX is because it is just a bit slower than a 2 period MA, yet holds a bit of a trend. When you try to hold on to a trend longer, even it turns out to become profitable... drawdowns increase. So, to me this is about as good a compromise as I know of currently to extracting a "sweet spot" from the price action with minimal drawdown. It is also extemely simple to operate, and runs fast on the tester when incorporated in an EA. Overall, I thought it would be a great little asset to other traders for quick way of determining a reliable minimal (hopefully profitable) trend...

Simple, and useful, that is all I can defend about it. And of course any real credit goes to John Ehlers whose formula is the key to how it truly functions.

Wiley,

Thanks for the respond.Mark Jurik compares his JMA to Ehlers Modified Optimum Elliptic Filter :'' The July 2000 issue of TASC contained an article by John Ehlers describing a "Modified Optimal Elliptical Filter" (Abbreviated here as "MEF"). This is a superb example of classical signal analysis. The chart below compares MEF to JMA whose parameters (JMA length=7, phase=50) were set to make JMA be as similar to MEF as possible'' FAQs on Jurik's JMA

Did you read it before?

İndeed İMAX is a very good signal generator on higher timeframes.Thanks for the indicator.

To biddick

Wow, pretty sophisticated junior members here....

I am relatively new to forex, within a year, and do study hard to learn all I can, and your information about Jurik's use of Ehler's work is much appreciated... and when I visited your link I was surprise to see some things that I am actually currently exploring...

I am using TEMA combined with other things that are currently being tested as we speak. I have been trying literally hundreds of combinations of indicators and find forex a challenge I cannot resist... and expect I will spend the rest of my life pursuing the forex grail... ha ha. I love it.

Thanks, and best of luck to you.

Last piece in my setup puzzle

Hi Wiley,

thank you very much for the great iMAX-indicator!

I think that was the last needed puzzle in my Trading-Setup.

Work's really fine for me in my Trading-Environment and is now the center of it.

Go ahead!

also info: http://mqlsoft.com/download/indicators

All 25 indicators from the book "Cybernetics Analysis for Stock and Futures"

Modified Optimum Elliptic Filter

This indicator was coded on the basis of the article "Optimal Detrending" by John F. Ehlers in Stocks & Commodities V. 18:7 (20-29). You can find all the theory described there in detail. Modified Optimum Elliptic Filter has no input parameters. A comparison of Modified Optimum Elliptic Filter with 5-period Exponential Moving Average is presented in the chart below. As you can see MOEF has lower lag and is smoother.

+been messing around (applying filter)

imax (moef) of MA, moef of moef

org settings: ma per. =1; price = mid (hilo/2)

Other MOEFs posted...

I contributed the iMAX since there was no MOEF with a crossing that I was aware of at this site, and I see photos of MOEF indicators with two lines, but files that only contain versions of the MOEF with one line..???

Anyway, some differenences between iMAX and the other indicators since posted are that there are two lines built into iMAX to derive the benefit of the filter as used as as crossing indicator, and division by zero has been eliminated from the coding so there would be no error messessages in the MT4 journal which seems to cause some concern by some people who use an indicator and then get a journal full of errors. I have personally used this indicator in an EA for testing and it ran clean.... I don't use subroutines to initialize buffers when that can be done in the indicator's initialization function... and I don't really want to say too much more about the other coding... but could...

I have liked this indicator while I have used it and thought others would also benefit from an improved version, and might like to add their own improvements as well, which hopefully I will also see others contribute. The version I have contributed may be freely modified by anyone to suit themselves... reposted whatever helps...

Reason: