C-Trader (Watch out Freedom Rocks) - page 24

Sell and Buy with separate baskets:

1.Sell with Sell basket

2.Buy with Buy basket

Files:

Is it profitable or not..seems that the chart complicated.

omelette:
vtam, just checked your demo account and it's down to $237 - what happened???

Read the thread and you will see that account was not in safe mode. My safe mode account is doing just fine.

Please correct me if I am wrong but you seem to be saying that the account which survived the unwind of a few weeks ago (NOT in safe mode) did not survive the latest unwind after the NFP friday.....but the account in safe mode did survive...is that correct? Can You tell us how your safe mode account is currently doing? Thanks

bboots:
Please correct me if I am wrong but you seem to be saying that the account which survived the unwind of a few weeks ago (NOT in safe mode) did not survive the latest unwind after the NFP friday.....but the account in safe mode did survive...is that correct? Can You tell us how your safe mode account is currently doing? Thanks

Safe mode is up about 30% still. Handled the NFP just fine.

vtam:
Read the thread and you will see that account was not in safe mode. My safe mode account is doing just fine.

I get the impression you think I was being a smart-ass posting that question - incorrect, it was a genuine query, the first time I looked at the demo account.

In fact I think your strategy has lots of potential. So much that I coded my own EA for it and it is up 4.76% atm. It did hit the third martingale level during NFP but survived as my core-lotsize is only 0.1. It's a demo btw.

Thanks again.

omelette:
I get the impression you think I was being a smart-ass posting that question - incorrect, it was a genuine query, the first time I looked at the demo account.

In fact I think your strategy has lots of potential. So much that I coded my own EA for it and it is up 4.76% atm. It did hit the third martingale level during NFP but survived as my core-lotsize is only 0.1. It's a demo btw.

Thanks again.

I may have spoke too soon - down 16%, on martingale level 5 which is only partially opened cos I ran out of money - WOW!!!

omelette:
I may have spoke too soon - down 16%, on martingale level 5 which is only partially opened cos I ran out of money - WOW!!!

I think the martingale way shouldn't be used at all. Only the safe mode.

Next week I will publish my results on a real live account with a safe mode and some adaptations. (only next week because it will be just 1 month that I started the live trading for this strategy).

With safe mode results are good.

jlpi:
I think the martingale way shouldn't be used at all. Only the safe mode.

Next week I will publish my results on a real live account with a safe mode and some adaptations. (only next week because it will be just 1 month that I started the live trading for this strategy).

With safe mode results are good.

I tend to agree. I think D'Alembert or Binary position sizing would be more appropriate for this strategy which I am going to try.

Needless to say, my lack of obvious concern would indicate that I am running this on a demo. I look forward to seeing your real account info.

Results on a real account

I wanted to share my experience about this strategy because I think that applied correctly this strategy is a winning one.

I have used it on a live account for one month now with success and even if this month has been particularly good and that not every month will be like this one I think that this strategy is profitable.

I also need to say that I used in fact a variation of the original strategy, I will explain why and what were the main ideas for the change.

But first how it happened.

When I read about this strategy I felt that there was a sound idea behind it and and started to test it with a basket with 10 pairs (the one described in post #43) on a demo account with $100 000.

As it was a time for carry trade unwiding the strategy with martingale failed quickly (it was a good time to test). Then I sensed that only the safe mode was to be used and even what I would call the "double safe mode" with both a lot progression remaining constant (a grid) and a space between orders bigger than 1% (like 3%)

An other point that needed to be solved for me was that the minimum account size to trade the original strategy with 0.01 lots was $5000 but I wanted to test it first on a real $1400 account that I use to test new strategies.

Then as I couldn't reduce the lot size I reduced the number of pairs. For instance several pairs were correlated and we were short many times on CHF and JPY. Then I reduced the exposure on these currencies but of course the swap gain went down as well.

I will not give here the exact pairs and settings because I think it is a personal matter for everybody to find the best pairs (also depending on the account size) for him and the one I choosed are probably not optimal so you can do maybe better than that.

I started to test the new basket for few days when the unwinding went even stronger (Thursday August 16). Originally I wanted to remain on a test account for all August but when I saw this move I thought "I have to get in" because it looked like an exhaustion move for me.

Then I entered on Friday, the move continued a bit but then turned back and profits started!

The result after 1 month is:

Balance = +10.6%

Equity = +14.6% (+4% compare to Balance)

The maximum Drawdown was probably around 5% (I didn't keep this data recorded)

Probably the results in the coming months will be lower and I expect an yearly return only around 50% even considering the results of this month (it is better to have realistic expectations)

I will try to give info on the progress every month (there is no much point to do it more often with this strategy)

As a conclusion I would like to thank Vtam for sharing this strategy that can be adapted and tuned for different account sizes.

I think that this strategy has several ingredients that are good for a succesful strategy

- it is boring (in fact it is very boring, even if I am used to "boring" strategies this one is a good one) and everybody knows that succesful traders say that succesful trading is boring

- because it is boring, few people will be able to follow it. That happens all the time. Even if people say that they want to make money, it is not true. Most of them look first for excitment and then to make money. This strategy is for people who first want to make money and can have excitment in other parts of their live beside trading.

- as a corollary compare the number of posts in this thread compare to the loosing Steinitz EA. Less posts = good sign.

Reason: