C-Trader (Watch out Freedom Rocks) - page 25

I had hoped my $25,000, 0.1 core-sized demo would survive but found today that martingale level 6 had been attempted and half the account had been flushed down the toilet!

And yes, I know this was too small an account for this core-size - now at least, at the time I thought the 'recommended' ratio was being overly conservative

I am going to try 0.05 core lotsize instead. Pity there isn''t a way to auto-detect when 'Safe-mode' should cut-in...

jlpi, thanks for that. A nice gain for such a small period, especially when it's real money

omelette:
Pity there isn''t a way to auto-detect when 'Safe-mode' should cut-in...

That's why I would recommend to use only safe mode(s) because if you detect that you have to switch to safe mode when you are already in level 3 or 4 it maybe too late.

superluz:
Hi,

I’m testing the Ctrader_V02 posted by barnix (by the way, thanks a lot barnix) with the default settings, and apologise for the maybe silly question, but what do you mean by “safe mode”, decreasing the lot size? Could anybody explain me?

Thanks

No martingaling takes place - all secondary order lot-sizes are generally set to the core lot-size - in vtam's strategy description, 0.2 lots.

When things go right for this strategy, it's spectacular - up over 3% today alone!!!!!

Demo - I hasten to add...

omelette:
When things go right for this strategy, it's spectacular - up over 3% today alone!!!!! Demo - I hasten to add...

Yeah - stick to safe mode only...... and it will make money. Binary method is possible also. We are running a few tests with modified binary that show incredible results. Will post in a few months once I have more data.

jlpi:

As a conclusion I would like to thank Vtam for sharing this strategy that can be adapted and tuned for different account sizes.

I think that this strategy has several ingredients that are good for a succesful strategy

- it is boring (in fact it is very boring, even if I am used to "boring" strategies this one is a good one) and everybody knows that succesful traders say that succesful trading is boring

- because it is boring, few people will be able to follow it. That happens all the time. Even if people say that they want to make money, it is not true. Most of them look first for excitment and then to make money. This strategy is for people who first want to make money and can have excitment in other parts of their live beside trading.

- as a corollary compare the number of posts in this thread compare to the loosing Steinitz EA. Less posts = good sign.

You're welcome! No problem. And I think your conclusions are correct. This has been advertised as a boring strategy, which means most will either over leverage it, or not even follow it.

My conclusion - Don't veer from safe mode!

CTrader state

Files:

I've got two versions on forward test now, one martingales, the other has binary lot sizing.

Unfortunately, I put both on a $25,000 account which is half the recommended size for the 0.05 core-lot size they use and consequently, the martingaler gobbled up all the available margin in yesterdays downturn, allowing no more trades to be opened. Luckily(!) the account survived and the martingaler closed its secondary positions today - it has increased account size by over 10% in little over a week, the accrued swap-interest contributing a not insignificant 0.54% so far! The Binary EA didn't have enough margin to open its second secondary positions, had it, it would also have closed it's still-open secondary positions at a nice profit.

Conclusions - same as before. Martingale is dangerous when left to its own accords but there's no denying that it can deliver the goods when things go right. The Binary EA is up about 1% but hasn't 'booked' any profits yet...

@vtam, just wondering did you ever include a martigale-over-ride in your testing - say, once it opens martingale level 4, switch to 'safe-mode'?

I definitely think this has a lot of potential. It just needs to not keep opening positions when things start to look 'hairy'...

Reason: