C-Trader (Watch out Freedom Rocks) - page 28

CTrader_v02 on 2007.10.05 12:47

(Bond Intervention)

Trader1:
Omelette/VTAM

I started trading C-Trader on September 29th with $10,000 demo. I started using the C-Trader EA posted on VIP Fx and when it expired just went manually. I have essentially played in safe mode; never used Martingale using mini lots starting with 0.1 up to 0.4. My method is to take a profit when there is about $150 using an EA that secures a profit level of whatever you set. I re-enter usually immediately if I'm in front of the computer. If I'm at work I re-enter when I check the charts when I get home at night and if a profit has occurred, I re-enter postions then.

Yesterday my account was up to $12,900 and had not done much for 2-3 days with drawdown averaging about $150-200. When the GBP-USD started dropping last night, I found the drawdown had reached around $500 and I added a second position of 0.4 lots (my core position was 0.2 lots). By 4:30 AM EST (I had woke up sick & checked the account) the drawdown had risen to about $2300 (about 18%). At that time I added another set of positions, this time 0.3 lots and saw it go initially to a $2500. It made me nervous to say the least. I went ahead and went back to bed and when I checked the account at 7:30 AM, the last lot had gone to profit ($150) and I had a floating profit of $654 which I closed immediately for a profit for the day of $800! So it turned out OK, but it took awhile for the correlated pairs to make up the difference. Initially, the EUR-USD had been ranging and was not affected by the drop in GBP. One thing I did, and I'm not sure if it was good or bad, but on the 3rd round I sold GBP-USD, and bought EUR-USD rather than the reverse which I had done earlier. I have attached my current statement for those who are interested.

Trader1

Barnix, I get the impression you considered my post a 'criticism' of your EA - this was certainly not my intention. I have it on demo myself and am very grateful to you for posting it

I just noticed that it has continued to open and close positions where the 'original' method would not have been trading - irrespective of whether it martingaled or not - and thought it worthy of being mentioned.

Your method may well be far more profitable than the original, only time will tell. I definitely think this basket strategy has a lot of potential, as it can really 'smooth' the fluctuations of individual currencies - the Thu/Fri activity had barely any effect on the overall basket

omelette:
Barnix, I get the impression you considered my post a 'criticism' of your EA - this was certainly not my intention. I have it on demo myself and am very grateful to you for posting it

I just noticed that it has continued to open and close positions where the 'original' method would not have been trading - irrespective of whether it martingaled or not - and thought it worthy of being mentioned.

Your method may well be far more profitable than the original, only time will tell. I definitely think this basket strategy has a lot of potential, as it can really 'smooth' the fluctuations of individual currencies - the Thu/Fri activity had barely any effect on the overall basket

NO, omelette. Scuse me.

I'm very courious about your method.

Please explain me moore detailed.

Best regards,

barnix

barnix:
NO, omelette. Scuse me.

I'm very courious about your method.

Please explain me moore detailed.

Best regards,

barnix

...please ignore my last post - I thought Trader1's post was yours - I should really read more carefully (or drink more coffee!)

btw I am trading this strategy essentially as vtam suggested, with two variations:

1: Martingale mode - once level 3 is reached, switch to 'safe-mode'.

2: Binary position-sizing - still waiting for some market volatility to see how this works out...

Trader1, that is a nice equity curve - long may it continue!

Your entries/exits seem somewhat discretionary though - not really a criticism, as your results clearly shows it works!

I continue to search for that elusive 'hands-off' strategy that will allow me to 'set-and-forget' - and not blow my account in the process

omelette:
0.1 lotsize is far too large for a $10,000 account. I was demo-ing 0.1 lots on a $25,000 account during the carry-trade unfolding and it blew the account. One new $25,000 account later with 0.05 lots-size, this also recieved a serious mauling but didn't blow the account. This ratio btw is what vtam advised.

.1 lot for $25k is way too high.

Martingale has proven time and again to be too risky during the unwind. As stated in posts past - safe mode is the only way to go.

I have run tests now for 2.5 months on multiple markets..... currencies, metals, stocks, grains, energy....... and the account is up 27.5% in 2 months.

Bottom line - the basket idea is foundationally robust and exciting. You must then go figure out your position sizing and when to add and take off that corresponds to your risk tolerance.

VTAM

vtam, what is the composition of your metal basket?

vtam:

I have run tests now for 2.5 months on multiple markets..... currencies, metals, stocks, grains, energy....... and the account is up 27.5% in 2 months.

VTAM

Finally a little activity - a 2%+ drop in equity...

BluePearl:
vtam, what is the composition of your metal basket?

It has been long gold in the basket. That has obviously helped. I think spread are better..... long beans short wheat long silver short gold etc. Long NG short Crude...... make a basket like that and let er rip.

Tim

Sorry if this is a N00b question, what forex brokers allows you metals etc?

Reason: