C-Trader (Watch out Freedom Rocks) - page 34

Hmmm, maybe a more USD-neutral basket is called for.....

Files:

So how long does the unwinding usually take?

I guess this is the unpleasant part for C-Trader.

PipN8ntEZ:
So how long does the unwinding usually take? I guess this is the unpleasant part for C-Trader.

Hi. Brutally quickly in this instance (at least that's how it seemed!) - I reckon over 3 days!

As the pic. shows, it ended badly - a margin-call. Unfortunately, the EA's stats. do not accurately reflect the true account situation as it does not monitor for a forced closing of positions (I'm an optimist!), so actual equity is about $40,000 below what is shown The indicator is showing correctly however.

Anyway, martingaling at set levels clearly isn't viable as it's akin to trying to catch the proverbial falling knife, and market conditions are about as far from normal (imo) as it's possible to be - short of the up-coming mother-of-all-crashes that's next... So time for a variation - probably average equity and wait for the markets to show signs of recovery before opening new positions...

Files:

Thought I'd update this old chestnut, as I still believe it has potential.

After deciding that martingaling was not an option, it has been running for the past 3 months in safe-mode, spending an inordinate amount of time dancing around the 10% profit level. However, the last few days have been good to it with the broad-based advance of the USD.

This is also the strategy's Achelles heel - it is too USD-biased. If there was a way of dynamically selecting the basket based on market sentiment, this could be a constant high earner - as it is, it is dependent on the USD catching a break!

Either way, it's still damn boring to trade...

Files:

Barnix, thanks - interesting read!

Godamnit, after installing the much acclaimed 'Bogie-NN-v8' evaluation EA yesterday to my WHC platform installation, which also was home to my 4 month forward-test of vtam's CTrader strategy, I have just discovered that Bogie has deleted about 30 of the 40 orders that were open, seemingly deleting a few more every time the platform re-connected from a lost WHC connection! Now, I can understand 'accidents' if open orders shared the same magic number, but this sh*t has deleted multiple currencies with completely different magics - and he's asking $50 a month for this!!! However profitable it may be, one thing is absolutely certain - it's order management sucks!...

Unbelieveable, I'm really peeved by this ...

The idea never died. The unprecedented unwind we saw made even safe mode a killer. It was on to something that gave a trader a fighting chance, but not enough to win in a financial Armeggedon (sp?) situation.

The revised version will fix this - and add pips consistenly and safely, even in a blow up.

Yes - after three years, it's back, better than ever.

I would say re-read the pdf on post 1 to familiarize yourself with it again.

I will post the improvements shortly when I get my words wrapped around the idea in my brain of how to easily explain it.

I think you will get excited about it again and be able to live through the worst case scenario pretty well.

VTAM

OK Vtam, reading through PDF on the first page again. Please don't keep us waiting long for the improved version. That unwind took a lot of us out of the market and some of us are waiting to get back in, but we need safety along with profitability.

vtam:
The idea never died. The unprecedented unwind we saw made even safe mode a killer. It was on to something that gave a trader a fighting chance, but not enough to win in a financial Armeggedon (sp?) situation.

The revised version will fix this - and add pips consistenly and safely, even in a blow up.

Yes - after three years, it's back, better than ever.

I would say re-read the pdf on post 1 to familiarize yourself with it again.

I will post the improvements shortly when I get my words wrapped around the idea in my brain of how to easily explain it.

I think you will get excited about it again and be able to live through the worst case scenario pretty well.

VTAM

The key as we found out is to NOT stick to a certain basket and direction no matter what is happening. When we were looking to get long the carry trade, we were basically better come hell or high water, that we would stick in the direction of our trades no matter what. When the carry trade unwound faster than our hedges in place to offset them, we all saw even C-Trader could not withstand the assault even in safe mode.

Enter in the dynamic basket.

Same concept, using martingale - double up in the direction of the pair. So you still look at the basket as one trade and the equity of the basket as such, but when you are down 1% - you look at each individual pair and double up in the direction they are going.

For example

Let say you are long .10 lots USDCAD and Long .10 lots USDCHF and Long .10 lots EURUSD and long .10 lots AUDUSD as your basket for an example.

You drop 1% from market action and USDCAD is higher (winning), USDCHF is higher (winning), EURUSD is lower (losing) and AUDUSD is lower (losing)..... so what do you do?

You buy .20 lots of USDCAD, you buy .20 lots of USDCHF, you sell .30 lots of EURUSD (to get net short .20 lots of EURUSD) and you sell .30 lots of AUDUSD (to get net short AUDUSD)

You have now just changed the dynamic of your basket. From 4 longs in the first example, to two longs and 2 shorts. You are heading in the direction of the move. This WILL protect against an unending move in the wrong direction.

You will lose is you happen to have all your pairs bouncing in a range at the same time. If you pairs are mixed enough - this should not be an issue.

Back during the collapse, with martingale, instead of adding in the deep drop over and over, you will instead join the trend with larger lots.

This will protect your account, and allow you to rake in the pips......

Let's get this going again!

We need a programmer to write an EA that you can put on a bunch of pairs. It will look at global open P/L of all pairs. If the account gets to -$1000 for example, it will look at the pair for which chart its one (each chart gets its own EA) and will see if the last trade is + or -. If positive, it will martingale in the direction of the last trade. If negative it will martingale plus add the offset position in the other direction......

Thoughts and feedback?

I think this was the missing piece.

VTAM

Reason: