Phoenix 2007 (new thread) - page 102

Phoenix future

I could not agree more with what Alan said in his post. There are a few of us out here that are quiet followers of the thread. Please dont label us as takers because we are willing to post suggestions out of experience that can be quite useful.

If I may refer to a few basics:

Hendrick asked not to post other versions.

Hendrick asked us to post statements of forward tests

Hendrick is particularly interested in Live tests.

Settings will need to be tweaked as time goes on.

I would like to suggest that the forum focus on forward testing.

I would like to suggest the forum focus on optimizing the code we have.

If a bug is found we should fix it. We have the skills to do so, but wholesale changes and feature are not needed to make money with this EA.

Once again I have to thank Alan for reminding us that forward testing in a live account is the true test so lets get to it and start posting statements.

I think we can all agree that the basic version is good - it needs tweaked.

If we think about it, the one thing Hendrick asked for over and over again is for us to post statements. Lets get it done and maybe Hendrick will come back to us!

jwhite1319:
I could not agree more with what Alan said in his post. There are a few of us out here that are quiet followers of the thread. Please dont label us as takers because we are willing to post suggestions out of experience that can be quite useful.!

I totally agree! I have followed this thread from the very beginning, but I watch, learn, and when I can contribute, I do it. Some people have good intentions to learn more about FX, have a better life and share with people that do not have access to it! So, not all of us are takers

Now the greedy, butt licking and the thief affraid!!!

Q:"I think we best to work together rather then solo, keep post it...

A:Yes work together among progammers and developers

Q:"I think we should keep it open source to honour hendrick, like hendrick do...

A:Nope, open source with among programmers, not for public.

Q:"I think backtesting result not same with the live result....

A: You don't know anything about phoenix system, so you're a picker. Phoenix system does'nt allow to trade if there still opened posisiton, even it give a signal. Without backtesting you cann't develop anything.

Q:"I think backtesting cann't be trust.....

A:Well then we cann't help you. All the setting and new setting come from that.

Q:"I have background IT...

A:Post your ideas & codes, not to said who you are.

Q:"What line the code to paste?...

A:Well, we talk with programming language among programmers. You need to learn a bit, then you'll more smart.

No Offence!!. Ok close this thread and we move to new thread.

Maybe FAQ above can be post in FAQ phoenix thread, hehehehehe

I really hate those "people" . No mql4 upload, just code. New setting only for programmer that contribute a lot for Hendrick. Maybe darknor or fikko can ask Hendrick. This for people which don't trust backtesting, deseve for this, before use phoenix they trust after use phoenix they don't trust because its different result between backtest and live. after read this maybe they will trust again, hehehehehe.

I respect pipsmaster and his ideas, but have a very different sentiment. Pipsmaster, I recommend you read the book (available online by writer) "The Cathedral and the Bazaar." It talks about development styles, and how some people want to lock everything down and control it, vs other development styles where people want to open up as much as possible.

I have been using open source code for a very long time. The projects that succeed usually have an open philosophy to go with their open source code. What would the linux kernel look like if you had to submit a major patch before you could look at it? How is that even possible? The nature of EA development usually follows the paradigms of greed and fear as Hendrick mentioned. I am personally more interested in keeping Phoenix as open as possible, since it was delivered to us in this way.

It felt to me like Hendrick offered value when most people don't and users became greedy. That is inevitable, but you can simply ignore those people. The part Hendrick didn't do properly I think was ask the community to help manage his time better. I sent him a PM a week or so before he left (after the first scare) saying that most of the community support he does could be done by other people. Responding to forums takes a lot of time, and we could continue to give him feature requests and ideas in an organized fashion.

That doesn't mean we should close off the project - I think the Phoenix community will fail. Only the people who can tune the settings themselves would be able to use the EA. Selling this EA would also be a bad idea, because the settings need constant updating. A self optimizing version.. *cough*. Phoenix and the Community.

I have been writing posts instead of code (same mistake as Hendrick) but I will post the updates people have made and the Mode 3 fix that Hendrick approved. BUT I will only post it where everyone can access it. This will be a "weekly build" but only testing will tell us if we should promote it as a "testing" version for forward test, and only forward testing will tell us if we should promote it as a "stable" version. This is the nature of open source development. The "Cathedral" sells whatever their schedule dictates it is time to ship so they can meet their profit margins. Errors and problems in software are fixed later, after everyone suffers from errors. (Microsoft...)

To Luxinterior

I was merely reporting my trading results as I promised Hendrick. Not everyone who asks something is complaining - lighten up man, this business is serious enough as it is!

DeadEye96:
I was merely reporting my trading results as I promised Hendrick. Not everyone who asks something is complaining - lighten up man, this business is serious enough as it is!

Thanks DeadEye96 It really does help. One of the bugs I want to "fix" soon is to make the results more consistent for users with the same broker, same settings. It is strange to see one loose a lot, and the other win. The reason is committed trades but that doesn't explain it all.

I also made a thread in the Phoenix forum to post this data. https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/175572

If you could include it there that would be great.

MT4 Build200 History Data

Hi buddies,

Please pay attention if you are using the Build200 and download historical data directly from the server.

I have d/l the USDJPY 1minute data, about 118Mb and did some conversion. However, after backtest, I found there is no trade between 2006/09/27 to 2006/11/15. Therefore, I just get back to check the 1minute data.

Guess what's happening? Data between 2006/09/27 to 2006/11/15 are missing. See my attached picture.

Does anyone have the same observation? Maybe it is not appropriate at the present moment to use the data directly from the MT4's data centre.

P.S. I am not sure where I should put this post now cos' there are a few "Phoenix" thread.

Regards

Wilson

[attach]19169[/attach]

Files:
backtestdata.jpg  159 kb

5.6.4 relesed with 1 major code fix, 1 enhancement to trade logic and a setting to be used in research have been added.

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/175560

All modes may be working now, please backtest all 3 modes and post results:

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/175568

Your weekly Live Testing results are needed!

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/175572

Thank you all for staying with us. Hendrick represented a great example to our forums, programming and trading. I hope the community that formed around a selfless person will endure, and Phoenix will improve as we grow and work together.

wilson1668:
Hi buddies,

Please pay attention if you are using the Build200 and download historical data directly from the server.

I have d/l the USDJPY 1minute data, about 118Mb and did some conversion. However, after backtest, I found there is no trade between 2006/09/27 to 2006/11/15. Therefore, I just get back to check the 1minute data.

Does anyone have the same observation? Maybe it is not appropriate at the present moment to use the data directly from the MT4's data centre.

P.S. I am not sure where I should put this post now cos' there are a few "Phoenix" thread.

I checked a few currency pairs with different brokers. All of the data for all pairs stops at 9/31/06. If you set your max chart size very high, you can scroll back and fill in some of the data streaming it from the broker. I haven't tried to get all of the data, because that is a lot of scrolling. Good job noticing this!

I guess the "most appropriate place" would be some generic metatrader thread. I am glad that we as a community can help though. The main reason to break up the threads is so people can find what they are looking for, not to put on uniforms and march in straight lines. There is so much information in this thread, and some parts are very useful while others have no real meaning :/ I hope that with a few threads for people to work with, people can focus on the type of work they want to do. I sincerely hope no one feels out of place I think we all miss Hendrick, and it is very important that we as a community are able to serve our own needs instead of rely so much on one person to do everything. That said, I need to write less on the forums and read/write more code. (2 code merges comparing each page line by line... maybe forums!) I am glad to see so many people trying to carry the torch. One person can not carry everything. If someone wants to do one of the things I am doing, please go ahead!

I must sleep now, I wanted to post 5.6.4 and thank everyone again

I will be back after my eyes stop hurting!

Hi all ,

I put statements as promised here:

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/175572

Bye!

Raf

Reason: