Phoenix 2007 (new thread) - page 108

Let's suppose that Hendrick, attempting to use a hidden pattern, arrived to his own pattern that is consistent enough with the market. It was so unusual that it may take some time until the market will "adapt" to it and similar algorithms.

Then he tuned the algorithm so that the EA works for the current market (a period of something like .25 to .5 of a year nowadays).

Obviously Hendrick was really great at that and did the work of a genius.

Now the market is going to change soon very probably, and then the Phoenix community will have to arrive to an entirely new solution fitting the core algorithm and the market together.

Can we be sure that the community does this as well as Hendrick originally? Well, maybe Daraknor and some other guys will be successful at that.

But I don't think that Phoenix is a piece of the puzzle of achieving TOTAL HAPPINESS.

Rather, I would say it is like gasoline for your car: it can make it go fast, it can make it happy because it will do what it is designed to do, but it can not make The World HAPPY. The car will burn the gasoline, too, and you will have to refill the gas tank every certain number of miles.

Trying to make a perfect EA is like trying to invent the perpetuum mobile or to find the Holy Grail or to create the Alchemist's stone.

yeremeyv:

Rather, I would say it is like gasoline for your car: it can make it go fast, it can make it happy because it will do what it is designed to do, but it can not make The World HAPPY. The car will burn the gasoline, too, and you will have to refill the gas tank every certain number of miles.

Too funny. I've answered to you, then I wrote to Hendrix and I didn't see your msg till now. Funny, we both used the same analogy car/gasoline lol

Mario

I think if a perfect EA is achievable, then we would arrive to one of the following by using it:

1. The end of the market

2. Extremely fast inflation

3. Mutation of market's nature

yeremeyv:
I think if a perfect EA is achievable, then we would arrive to one of the following by using it:

1. The end of the market

2. Extremely fast inflation

3. Mutation of market's nature

Nope. For that we would need EVERYONE to use that "perfect ea", but such a case is impossible. Such an ea wouldnt spread so widely. Market-makers would never use no EAs, for one. And well, all other "small fish" don't make much difference. That's what I think at least.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

Cheers,

Diam0nd

I LOVE

agree

I agree and if everyone had the perfect EA all would not use it in the same way. Is that not true even now that all have "basically" the same tools available and all do not use them in the same way. Some fashion springs and gears for expensive watches and others make hairpins and nails from the same block of steel and some sadly don't know what to make when the steel is handed to them. Those who pursue knowledge before wealth usually have both. Those who pursue wealth before knowledge generally have neither. Thank you Hendrick for your generosity of knowledge.

Greg

Am I too late?

I saw a link to the trading contest and after digging about somewhat I was lead here (Don't you just love the Internet!). I now find myself reading over 100 pages of comment and testing on an EA called Pheonix written (and generously placed into the public domain) by Hendrick (a thank you for expanding my mind on the subject of trading, Hendrick).

So what I have is:-

- Phoenix_EA_v5_6_04.mql

- The Ultimate Guide for Phoenix.pdf

- How To Optimize Phoenix.pdf

Is there anything else that I would need to get started and join the discussion? Does anyone have any other recommendations to complete this arsenal of information and coding?

Thanks a lot folks .... hope to join you all soon (if you'll have me)

Welcome back, Hendrick! Although I am a newbie here (and on FX generally) and as the matter of fact joined this thread AFTER you left, I managed to create a relationship with this EA and with this community, although I don't understand how Phoenix works and therefore don't even participate in the community.

But there's one thing that I've been taught after those couple of days. I understand now that it is not the EA that makes the money, it is the trader and EA is just a tool. And he must understand how the tool works and must adjust it or even fully replace it with something else when it shows signs of the end of its lifetime. And that's a valuable point of view. Although I've never been in live trading, I think this prevented me from substantial losses (if wasn't like really lucky). I was so close to opening my live FX account and running Phoenix live with no understanding of it whatsoever.

For that reason I decided to put Phoenix to ice and work on a simple EA that I can understand now as a beginner. To be specific, it's the breakout system. For me the best way how to start, apparently. I got to it thanks to inspiration from and observation of traders like you guys are that trade the breakout system. For that reason I hope that you guys will keep this discussion going and maintain the teamwork because you are professionals with large potential. And it will be the greatest thing you can do for us beginners -- to let us watch you and learn, learn how to understand more sophisticated EAs. Don't worry, it will take months or years until I will start thinking about going live with your or any other such EA. First I want to grasp the logic of it, just like I did with the very simple breakout system.

I never managed to join the Yahoo mailing lists although I applied. I guess I have not been accepted, which is perfectly alright. Still, the more of the info you will release here, the more we newbies can learn from. As a lot of people have done, I too promise before you all and before God that if I start making huge money I will share it with those in need. I already have my plans with this.

Again, thank you very much, to all of you and especially to Hendrick. May the pips be with you

Phoenix trade: USDCHF

23-11-06 17:31 USDCHF /Short/1.2235/SL 1.2315/TP 1.2170 - Mode 3

I am not sure why, but while yesterday backtesting showed 1000% a month profit during the last 6 months, today I can get only a 100%/6months profit no matter how I optimize Phoenix

Reason: