Elite indicators :) - page 375

Ray

TimeFrameparameter you are using in your EA is a string, and metatrader expects integer in the second parameter of iCustom() call in order to call correct time frame. Convert TimFrame to integer value (as I usually do in indicators) and then pass that parameter to iCustom() or use directly integer input for time frame if you do not plan to convert it to time frame integer format. Always check if the type of parameters correspond to the expected one

regards

Mladen

traderduke:
Mladen

Thanks for the explainlation and fix. Any input to my second problem, Time frame other then current not working in EA. I'm using the "TimeFrame" as you told me before but Its not seeing it.??

Again Thanks

Ray

ValeoFX:
======

MrTools I cannot get the HeikenAshi to load onto a chart. Any idea why not?

Thanks for responding.

No idea, were you able to get it to load?

To MrTools or Mladen

Gentlemen,

Could you kindly share with me the name of the indicator that paints the bars red/green in the attached image? At first glance I thought it was the smoothed triggerlines but then I quickly realized it is not the case (could it be Gann's adaptive hi/low? or perhaps SSA based?). I attempted to search this thread for it but have not gotten any luck locating it yet. I have searched 86 pages thus far and plan on continuing the search, but you can make my effort much more easier if you know the name and possibly point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Pip

Files:
jdemark.gif  30 kb

mrtools:
Pip, The bars are colored by a Hodrick Prescott Filter noLambda(in advanced elite) combined with TTM bars was using SSA but have since changed to this, i don't go by these for live trading, since it recalculates its position, just like to watch them at work

Excellent! Many thanks Mrtools. I figured the recalculation part since the change seemed way too accurate. I will hop on over to the advanced elite section to take look.

Cheers,

Pip

Pip:
Gentlemen,

Could you kindly share with me the name of the indicator that paints the bars red/green in the attached image? At first glance I thought it was the smoothed triggerlines but then I quickly realized it is not the case (could it be Gann's adaptive hi/low? or perhaps SSA based?). I attempted to search this thread for it but have not gotten any luck locating it yet. I have searched 86 pages thus far and plan on continuing the search, but you can make my effort much more easier if you know the name and possibly point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Pip

Pip,

The bars are colored by a Hodrick Prescott Filter noLambda(in advanced elite) combined with TTM bars was using SSA but have since changed to this, i don't go by these for live trading, since it recalculates its position, just like to watch them at work

ps) this is a link for the TTM SSA bars

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/general

would advise not to use the alerts unless you have nerves of steel!

A continuation of averages studying ...

To conclude : MaModedetermines which average calculation mode to use to calculate MACD. Modes are the following

0 - simple moving average (SMA)

1 - exponential moving average (EMA)

2 - double smoothed exponential moving average

3 - Double EMA (DEMA)

4 - Tripple EMA (TEMA)

5 - Smoothed MA (SMMA)

6 - Linear weighted MA (LWMA)

7 - Parabolic weighted MA

8 - Alexander MA

9 - Volume weghted MA

10 - Hull MA

11 - Triangular MA

12 - Sine weighted MA

13 - Liner regression value

14 - NonLag MA

15 - Zero lag EMA;

Here is a comparison of 1 hour what was before known as zero lag EMA (DEMA) MACD (upper) and a zero lag EMA from this one (lower).

Cycle forecasting Indicator

mladen:
Here is a Fourier extrapolation of SSA of price too

In order to add some clarity in display, added a possibility to display the main indicator value on chart, and some options are added (so it is suitable as a frame for indicators that should be displayed on a main chart) Added options to turn on and of the display of main indicator values (SSA of price in this case) and past values (that are calculated as a basis for future - extrapolated values)
To remind : this one needs libSSA.dll and fourier extrapolation.dll in order to work. Also, as a short "how to" : when you notice that changing the harmonics number does not change the values of the Fourier values, either make the frequency tolerance or the number of past bars less(so if you do not want to sacrifice past, make the frequency tolerance less. Be careful though, because making the frequency tolerance to small can overload your PC)

PS: made a change in how the values are shown (the control what is shown) Please re-download the indicator if you do not have a ShowFutureValuesoption in the indicator

In his book Decoding The Hidden Market Rhythm, Lars Von Thienen opted to use a "modified" Discrete Fourier Transform mathematics over Fast Fourier Transform, Maximum Entropy Spectral Analysis (MESA) and Wavelets mathematics to avoid over optimization of the result to past data hence making walk forward calculation more reliable. Mladen, please forgive my ignorance with the following questions, but could you kindly indicate which Fourier mathematics you are using to extrapolate SSA? Also, why SSA? is it not a fact that SSA data for most recent history is prone to be "redetermined"?

Since I am not a very good programmer I would like to propose to the program-able participants to consider the following for a potential MT4 indicator. Some of what I am about to propose has been somewhat discussed in the free forum section under the cycle indicators but I don't think it has been implemented (to my knowledge) fully. What I am proposing is based on Thienen's work, which is exquisite if i may add, but since I am not a mathematician nor a programmer, I believe others here (such as Crodzilla, SIMBA, Mladen, Mrtools, etc) can do a much better job.

I would like to propose a cycle extrapolation indicator that is done as correctly as possible with some guidance from Mr. Thienen.

Here is a key quote from his book that pretty much says it all:

"My method (for detecting cycles in the market) is specially designed for analysis of the financial time series datasets. It combines the advantages of current methods but tries to the extend possible to eliminate the disadvantages of the individual approaches with reference to the specific features of the financial time series.

By combining special DFT methods (including the Geortzel algorithm), validation by means of statistical measurement methods (including the Bartels Test) and my own approaches to pre-processing (detrending), I have been able to develop my own reliable method for measuring cycles in the financial time series datasets."

Ok, the above quote is a gem if you are into cycle trading. I tried to format some content for emphasis

So what are the steps to create a good cycle forecasting indicator?

1) Present visual spectrum of wave analysis of lengths 5-300 price bars

2) Determine the peaks in the spectrum analysis to determine relevant and significant cycles

3) Through statistical validation identify the cycles that are active

4) Determine precise phase and amplitude of every active cycle

5) Output the data in a form comprehensible to traders

i) The phase in the form of the date of the last low point

ii) The amplitude in the form of the current price-scale, and

iii) The length of the wave in the form of the number of bars in the chart

6) Determining the "strength" of a cycle by establishing the price movement per bar "cycle strength"

Most the points above have been discussed in the cycle thread in the free forum but I would like to point your attention to the last point, this point I don't think it was discussed, nor were the output relevancy to traders and its format.

In regards to point 6 above, Mr. Thienen explains that "In classical cycle analysis, the waves with the largest amplitude are usually described as dominant. However, for us as traders the relative influence of cycle per time unit - i.e., per bar on the chart - is of much greater interest. Therefore, the so-called cycle strength is ultimately used as measurement value for the cycle with the greatest influence per price bar."

Anyway, I realize I probably discussed too much in this post and I probably should start a new thread for this subject or perhaps it should be added into another thread (SIMBA's perhaps) but I figured since am discussing an indicator then perhaps it is best to place it here. Naturally, Admin, feel free to move this post as appropriate.

I look forward to your feedback.

Cheers,

Pip

Pip:
In his book Decoding The Hidden Market Rhythm, Lars Von Thienen opted to use a "modified" Discrete Fourier Transform mathematics over Fast Fourier Transform, Maximum Entropy Spectral Analysis (MESA) and Wavelets mathematics to avoid over optimization of the result to past data hence making walk forward calculation more reliable. Mladen, please forgive my ignorance with the following questions, but could you kindly indicate which Fourier mathematics you are using to extrapolate SSA? Also, why SSA? is it not a fact that SSA data for most recent history is prone to be "redetermined"?

Since I am not a very good programmer I would like to propose to the program-able participants to consider the following for a potential MT4 indicator. Some of what I am about to propose has been somewhat discussed in the free forum section under the cycle indicators but I don't think it has been implemented (to my knowledge) fully. What I am proposing is based on Thienen's work, which is exquisite if i may add, but since I am not a mathematician nor a programmer, I believe others here (such as Crodzilla, SIMBA, Mladen, Mrtools, etc) can do a much better job.

I would like to propose a cycle extrapolation indicator that is done as correctly as possible with some guidance from Mr. Thienen.

Here is a key quote from his book that pretty much says it all:

"My method (for detecting cycles in the market) is specially designed for analysis of the financial time series datasets. It combines the advantages of current methods but tries to the extend possible to eliminate the disadvantages of the individual approaches with reference to the specific features of the financial time series.

By combining special DFT methods (including the Geortzel algorithm), validation by means of statistical measurement methods (including the Bartels Test) and my own approaches to pre-processing (detrending), I have been able to develop my own reliable method for measuring cycles in the financial time series datasets."

Ok, the above quote is a gem if you are into cycle trading. I tried to format some content for emphasis

So what are the steps to create a good cycle forecasting indicator?

1) Present visual spectrum of wave analysis of lengths 5-300 price bars

2) Determine the peaks in the spectrum analysis to determine relevant and significant cycles

3) Through statistical validation identify the cycles that are active

4) Determine precise phase and amplitude of every active cycle

5) Output the data in a form comprehensible to traders

i) The phase in the form of the date of the last low point

ii) The amplitude in the form of the current price-scale, and

iii) The length of the wave in the form of the number of bars in the chart

6) Determining the "strength" of a cycle by establishing the price movement per bar "cycle strength"

Most the points above have been discussed in the cycle thread in the free forum but I would like to point your attention to the last point, this point I don't think it was discussed, nor were the output relevancy to traders and its format.

In regards to point 6 above, Mr. Thienen explains that "In classical cycle analysis, the waves with the largest amplitude are usually described as dominant. However, for us as traders the relative influence of cycle per time unit - i.e., per bar on the chart - is of much greater interest. Therefore, the so-called cycle strength is ultimately used as measurement value for the cycle with the greatest influence per price bar."

Anyway, I realize I probably discussed too much in this post and I probably should start a new thread for this subject or perhaps it should be added into another thread (SIMBA's perhaps) but I figured since am discussing an indicator then perhaps it is best to place it here. Naturally, Admin, feel free to move this post as appropriate.

I look forward to your feedback.

Cheers,

Pip

Pip,

Have you seen here? https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/179807

It starts there and there is a version 5 here

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/179807/page51, with extrapolated mtf. , not sure how these compare with Mr. Thienen's.

Files:
cycles.gif  29 kb

Yes, thanks

mrtools:
No idea, were you able to get it to load?

Hello MrTools,

For some strange reason it loaded perfectly the next day. Many thanks.

It's not that I am not replying to you, but I cannot post any messages for another strange reason. Most annoying to say the least.

Best regards,

Been reading an article from Joe Luisi : "Playing TRIX: The Triple Exponential Smoothing Oscillator", and decided t check if what he is telling stands.

Well, with a small deviation, it seems that what he said is not far from the truth. So here is this version of trix with what he calls a "least-squares fit method" (linear regression value) as a signal line. On the example picture I marked the period where there are losses with orange square. The deviation is that Joe Luisi recommends a "3 day trix and a 8 day signal line" while I used in this example 5 and 8 (the example is a 1 hour chart).

Even on my daily chart periods 5 and 8 work OK (I checked only EURUSD for signals. Maybe it is time to tell why I post only EURUSD charts : the reason for that consists of 2 parts - I do not trade anything but EURUSD (reason 1) and I do not trade anything but EURUSD because, in my opinion, it is the only symbol that, due to the volume it is traded, is the only one that is trending). I really would hate to be a victim of one man game (like GBPUSD) or similar ones - but then, that is only my opinion.

Anyway, try out this indicator.

Reason: