Interesting and Humour - page 4170

Alexey Volchanskiy:

Ha, you think it's just us?

In the EU, there is talk of introducing a "Cyprus scenario" across the board soon.

Vizard_:

In the EU, rumour has it that they may soon introduce a "Cyprus scenario" for the entire territory.

I've read what it is, it's a real bummer. Taking 6.67% of people's deposits and writing it off is Bolshevism with its expropriation!

Alexey Volchanskiy:

Cool! My mum has a special Maestro pension, it's free of charge, pension is transferred straight to it, no separate account. No problems noticed.

When I read all these beautifully spiritual raves about the digital world, I just get offended.

The cases I have described are not the result of someone's bad intentions, it just so happened, just so happened, and this is the result of our belief that if you exclude the human factor, then there will be fewer of these unbelievable events. And the man's in deep shit.

And why? Let's look around and answer the question: are there any programs around us without bugs? Are there any complex programs without bugs? What if the bugs were concentrated on one man? What if something important in life depends on these bugs?

I like American movies on this subject, it's true that there's an interested party in creating difficulties. But the thing is, when we are dealing with software and complex technology, there is no need for intent.

PS.

A few more memories.

1973. My first industrial program on Minsk-32 prints the sheets for Material and Technical Supply Department of Ministry of Railway Transport. Several million items sorted in different ways and even(!) with a selection at the request of the customer. The customer thought I was a god. The program was printing at night for over a month. IT PRINTED ONLY IN MY PRESENCE. My bosses checked the text of the program (primitive assembler program), accompanied me at night, made sure I did not go near the computer, they treated me at the meetings as a saboteur. Only thanks to the customer I fought back.

This is not the end of the story.

Two years later, I'm handing over a reference system for the top officials of the Ministry of Railways. The gimmick is that they have monitors on their desks - prestige and mere kinship with scientific and technological progress.

An EC 1010 computer, the size of a wardrobe, but a sea of memory - two drums but 4 MB (megabytes) of memory. Great prospects for development.

But one thing: the computer worked during working hours ONLY in the presence of an electronic engineer. Outside working hours, an electronic engineer was not needed.

And this is not the end of the story either.

Given the previous case with the seal I was on edge, and I was transferred out of harm's way to ancillary work: the office did the system to sell tickets Express. When I was sent there, it was ready, but it was times less productive and on overloads it hung. I was told to find it, as it was an internal matter and far away from the customer.

The problem turned out to be very simple, I have found it, I have reconfigured the programs and the equipment according to my recommendations and everything was working as it was supposed to.

Except for one thing:

• The amount of tickets sold and the money received for them did not add up by a few tens of roubles, with a turnover of millions. It varied from day to day. And only in my layout. This was not the case in the old layout.

After that I had to move into the coal industry.

Today I hope I don't live to see the full flowering of the digital economy. Or at least, if I do, I will be able to shy away from all this progress.

СанСаныч Фоменко:

Are there many programs around us without bugs?

Bugs and brainless datacentists of course. But what if the rules are to be strictly enforced? At the moment, the cars -

drones will be driving around a pedestrian who jumps out in front of them, sometimes killing the passenger... Who will decide who lives?

Who will buy a piece of metal knowing that it can kill you...?

СанСаныч Фоменко:

When I read all this beautifully spiritual enthusiasm about the digital world, I get a kick out of it.

The cases I have described are not the result of anyone's bad intentions, it just happened, it just happened by coincidence, and it is the result of our belief that if you exclude the human factor, there will be fewer such unbelievable events. And the man's in deep shit.

And why? Let's look around and answer the question: are there any programs around us without bugs? Are there any complex programs without bugs? What if the bugs were concentrated on one man? What if something important in life depends on these bugs?

I like American movies on this subject, it's true that there's an interested party in creating difficulties. But the thing is, when we are dealing with software and complex technology, there is no need for intent.

PS.

A few more memories.

1973. My first industrial program on Minsk-32 prints sheets for MPS Logistics Department. Several million items sorted in different ways and even(!) with a selection at the request of the customer. The customer thought I was a god. The program was printing at night for over a month. IT PRINTED ONLY IN MY PRESENCE. My bosses checked the text of the program (primitive assembler program), accompanied me at night, made sure I did not go near the computer, they treated me at the meetings as a saboteur. Only thanks to the customer I fought back.

This is not the end of the story.

Two years later, I'm handing over a reference system for the top officials of the Ministry of Railways. The gimmick is that they have monitors on their desks - prestige and mere kinship with scientific and technological progress.

An EC 1010 computer, the size of a wardrobe, but a sea of memory - two drums but 4 MB (megabytes) of memory. Great prospects for development.

But one thing: the computer worked during working hours ONLY in the presence of an electronic engineer. Outside working hours, an electronic engineer was not needed.

And this is not the end of the story either.

Given the previous case with the seal I was on edge, and I was transferred out of harm's way to support work: the office did the system to sell tickets Express. When I was sent there, it was ready, but it was times less productive and on overloads it hung. I was told to find it, as it was an internal matter and far away from the customer.

The problem turned out to be very simple, I have found it, I have reconfigured the programs and the equipment according to my recommendations and everything was working as it was supposed to.

Except for one thing:

• The amount of tickets sold and the money received for them did not add up by a few tens of roubles, with millions of dollars in turnover. It varied from day to day. And only in my layout. This was not the case in the old layout.

After that I had to move into the coal industry.

Today I hope I don't live to see the full flowering of the digital economy. Or at least, if I do, I will be able to shy away from all this progress.

I've read your ordeal and I can tell you this. I got the feeling that you were just unlucky. You should have been more persistent in treating the nice guy from the bank, because the banks sometimes employ rare woodpeckers as tellers and consultants.

СанСаныч Фоменко:

I have an account in Sberbank to which my pension is transferred and a Visa card - both with a special status with some pension benefits.

I have been transferring money from account to card in my personal account. Turnover is within the limits of the pension, I have never used the card for any other purpose.

Once again last February I transfer 10,000 from my pension account to my special card and receive a message saying "the transaction has been blocked due to suspicion of money laundering and terrorist financing. You should contact the branch where the card was issued(!)".

Well, I guess that's the gag. I go to Sber branch (when I was drawing up a pension, I opened an account and received a card not near my home, but near the Pension Fund and I had to go, not to walk) and I say so and so, the account and the card are special, and the amount... I get an answer: Write a guarantee that you do not launder money and do not finance terrorism.

I close my card and pay in cash.

There's a subtlety here, it doesn't really matter where the card is opened. They serve in any branch, even if you open it in Vladivostok.

Also, I personally hardly ever go to the bank, any questions over the phone, as a rule, go to the nearest bank office to re-issue the card once every two years.

But the truth is, I've never come across subjects like yours.

Vizard_:

Bugs and brainless datacentists of course. But what if the rules have to be hardwired? At the moment, cars -

drones will be driving around a pedestrian who jumps out in front of them, sometimes killing the passenger... Who will decide who lives?

Who will buy a piece of metal knowing it could kill you...?

like who? The military)

they've got plenty of hardware that can kill them and it doesn't bother them)

Just a few minutes ago. Standing on the balcony smoking. The window is open, a fresh cool night breeze carries the thick smoke of my cigarette away... A note on a string came down saying "Give me a cigarette, my friend : )". I take out a cigarette from the pack and tie it to the string, I twitch it twice and my treat disappeared into the darkness of the upper floors. No sooner have I finished my cigarette than another note comes down: "Thanks! Would you like a drink? 12th floor Apartment 105". After pulling the string twice, I went to the fridge for cognac so that I wouldn't come empty-handed. I'm going to go and meet "The Gunslinger"...

Vitaly Murlenko:
Just a few minutes ago. Standing on the balcony smoking. The window is open, a fresh cool night breeze carries the thick smoke of my cigarette away... A note on a string came down saying "Give me a cigarette, my friend : )". I take out a cigarette from the pack and tie it to the string, I twitch it twice and my treat disappeared into the darkness of the upper floors. No sooner have I finished my cigarette than another note comes down: "Thanks! Would you like a drink? 12th floor Apartment 105". Pulling the string twice, I went to the fridge for cognac so I wouldn't come empty-handed. I'm going to meet Shooter.

:-) come and share your impressions!

Vizard_:

Bugs and brainless datacentists of course. But what if the rules have to be hardwired? At the moment, cars -

Who will buy a piece of metal knowing it could kill you...?

I'll never buy a car on full autopilot. About a pedestrian jumping out in front of wheels, I'm reminded of that. When I was in Silicon Valley on a business trip, the local guys were teaching me the rules of the road. There are almost no signs there, just green signs with text - here's an examplehttps://vk.com/photo6058869_138230486.

So the guys tell me, if you're driving in the traffic and a stupid black guy jumps under the wheels outside of a traffic light, you can just push him over. Because you ain't gonna get nothing for it, but if you run around and have a mass accident on the highway, you're screwed.

Reason: