Automated Trading Championship 2012 Has Started! - page 3

Automated Trading Championship 2012: All Is Well for Now

Twenty trading days of the first month of the Automated Trading Championship 2012 are over, and we have already got used to the current leaders. The first two places are still occupied by mysterious JPAlonso (USA) and ROMAN5 (South Africa). Both had no losses up to the last day of the last week when the long position having 15 lots at JPAlonso's account was closed by Stop Loss. However, his trading robot has opened the new long position with the same maximum volume after three minutes.

Such persistence has seemed to be justified at the time, as the robot has entered the weekends having the floating profit exceeding $6 500. We have not yet been able to find out why the Expert Advisor called El Trader is acting in such an extravagant way. Its developer does not appear on the Championship website and keeps silence.

Read the full text of the news on the Championship's website - Fourth Week: All Is Well for Now.

Automated Trading Championship 2012: Interview with Matúš German (gery18)

It's the second time Matúš German participates in the Automated Trading Championship. By the end of the fourth week of ATC 2012 his Expert Advisor has been holding its positions in the TOP-10 having about $30 000. Matúš is from Slovakia, from the little town Bardejov. "I came to trading when I was looking for an opportunity to work through the Internet, I knew that it is possible to make money with stocks but I was interested in the possibilities to trade using only technical analysis" he said.

Greetings! It's nice to meet you again among the Championship Participants. What were the most notable events in your life and trading experience for the last year? For the last year, I have destroyed 2 Forex accounts but I think that I have found my "Holy grail". Of course, it is not the system that I have submitted to the Championship, as it must be very risky to have a chance to win and I cannot check the system in the Championship to optimize it for the current market.

You were at 183rd place in the Automated Trading Championship 2011. What experience did you get from it? It was no surprise to me. In such a competition the system must be very risky to have a chance to win. But I was glad that the system worked without problems.

The full text of the news can be found at the Championship's website - Interview with Matúš German (gery18).

Interview with Anton Nel (ROMAN5)

Today we talk to Anton Nel (ROMAN5) from South Africa, a professional developer of automated trading systems. Obviously, his Expert Advisor just could not go unnoticed. Breaking into the top ten from the very start of the Championship, it has been holding the first place for more than a week. Moreover, it is still firmly settled down at the second place and does not seem to surrender.

Anton, please tell us a little about yourself. This is your first championship, but apparently you have a rich experience in trading. Yes, this is indeed my first Championship. I have worked as a software developer for the past 20 years in the engineering, medical, educational and financial sectors. In my personal capacity I have been trading online for the past 10 years. My love for finance and software development makes the perfect combination for the development of automated trading systems. In my spare time, I enjoy sports. My favorite sport at the moment is Squash, and I play 3-4 times a week.

Judging by deals, your EA is always in the market. It also does averaging if price is going in wrong direction. Does it enter the market by oversold/overbought CCI? Why do you use Heiken Ashi? I have experimented with different Expert Advisors, but chose to enter current one for the competition, because it stays in the market, so there are no "dead" moments. Something is always happening. If the price goes in the wrong direction, I work on averaging or Stop Loss depending on the situation. I use oversold/overbought CCI to enter the market and Heiken Ashi to exit. Heiken Ashi performed better than CCI on the back test, so that's why I opted to go with that indicator to exit the market.

The full text of the news can be found at the Championship's website - Interview with Anton Nel (ROMAN5).

Championship's Fourth Week Minutes

The fourth week of the Automated Trading Championship 2012 is over and it is time to examine its results in details. EURUSD is losing profit, while USDJPY is gaining momentum. What else has happened this week? Let's have a look!

Here you will know about the distribution of the number of deals, profits and losses at each currency pair, as well as the average return of each trading deal.

The full text of the news can be found on the Championship's website - Championship's Fourth Week Minutes.

Fifth Week: Leader's Position More Stable Than Ever

The fifth week of the Automated Trading Championship 2012 is over and we can sum up the first results. The gap between the current leader JPAlonso and SAFF (Russia) occupying the tenth place has increased again comprising $60 000. We cannot say if it is possible to reduce that gap yet. However, we should remember that it is often not necessary to catch up with the Championship leader. Sometimes, it may be enough to wait for a leading trading robot to make a mistake and leave the top positions.

However, there is no reason to worry about JPAlonso (USA) yet - his trading robot has performed more than 20 trades within a month. According to the Rules of the Signals service, this robot's signals could have been put up for sale. Though subscription to trading signals of all Automated Trading Championship 2012 participants is free, future profits are not guaranteed.

The full text of the news can be found on the Championship's website - Fifth Week: Leader's Position More Stable Than Ever.

Championship's Fifth Week Minutes

Let us provide you with data on deals and positions as of the end of the fifth competition week in our usual "Minutes of the Automated Trading Championship 2012". The main event of the week is the positive difference of the floating profit and loss. This has become possible mainly thanks to the most popular currency pair of the Championship - EURUSD! Let's see what else has happened this week!

Here you will know about the distribution of the number of deals, profits and losses at each currency pair, as well as the average result of each trading deal.

The full text of the news can be found on the Championship's website - Championship's Fifth Week Minutes.

Interview with Dmitry Terentew (SAFF)

Is it really necessary to be a programmer to develop trading robots? Do we need to spend years monitoring price charts to be able to "feel" the market? Is it possible for a random entry strategy to survive in the market for quite a long time? All these issues have been discussed in our interview with Dmitry Terentew (SAFF), whose trading robot has been occupying the first page of the Championship from the very beginning.

Your robot's trading style is quite unusual. It is always in the market opening a long position right after closing a previous one. Why does it behave in such a way?

I don't want to reveal all my secrets. The Expert Advisor has been generated by MQL5 Wizard in 5 minutes and refined manually to fit the Championship Rules. In fact, the initial idea has been generated by MQL5 Wizard. Besides, optimization of parameters has yielded some results. Wizard is a very useful thing.

The popular quotation "Every cook can run the state" can be applied to the Championship. Every user who knows MQL5 at least to some degree can develop an operational trading robot.

Code Base contains a few dozens of modules for generating Expert Advisors using MQL5 Wizard. Have you seen them?

Yes, I've implemented some changes to MoneyFixedRisk.mqh library and inserted necessary trading parameters into the robot's code.

So, it seems that you have not had any difficulties with the modules for the automatic generation of robots in MQL5 Wizard?

I have not seen anything too complicated. All is quite simple. I've spent a few hours plus some more time for passing the automatic tests. It is not difficult to read a ready-made code if you have at least some knowledge of programming. However, I am a network engineer rather than a programmer.

The full text of the news can be found at the Championship's website - Interview with Dmitry Terentew (SAFF).

Sixth Week, Chasing the Leader

We continue to monitor participants of the Automated Trading Championship 2012 marathon that started six weeks ago. Yellow jersey is still retained by JPAlonso's Expert Adviser from United States. This participant goes ahead with a wide margin, despite the fact that the last three trades were unprofitable and devastated his account for almost $12,000.

Alas, but our recent interviewee's trading robot flew out of the top three, thus making a way for his rivals. And all this is due to that ROMAN5's EA from South Africa yet continues to sustain a huge unfixed loss by open long position. We wonder whether he can wait for a favorable wind? Note that the profit factor of this participant still cannot be determined simply by a lack of loss.

Read the full article on the Championship's website Sixth Week, Chasing the Leader.

Guys do you follow the championship? I'm wondering if these experts could be used for successful trading apart from the competition... what do you think? Do you find these strategies useful?

Alexander_Pope:
Guys do you follow the championship? I'm wondering if these experts could be used for successful trading apart from the competition... what do you think? Do you find these strategies useful?

I just google that and found that ForexZig com follows the championship in a very interesting way. It provides deep analysis of the strategy of the leading players and restores the logic of experts in Mql4 code, which is still much more popular than Mql5 – this is good for us.

Up to now, experts by players on the first and the second place have been observed.

Reason: