Step indicators - page 16

veritech6:
Here is a pic of the StepMA 7.2 that I am using I am using a 50 and 100 setting with 1.0 Crossover system. Is anyone else using it this way? I think this is a great trend following indicator. Does anyone else have any other setting that might work better?

Hi Veritech6,

Will you share your stepMA 7.2 that you are using like in your chart ???

Thank you so much for your kindness.

Best regards,

Paulinge

Here it is

Files:

veritech6:
Here it is

Thank you Veritech,

Best regards,

Paulinge

Your very welcome.

Also, Thank you IGORAD for you contributions. I love this indicator. I always found that the ATR has been an invaluable indicator. Fund managers use them and the famous Turtle group used ATR for stops. This indicator definatley takes advantage of the big moves no doubt as do major and famous trend followers. This is why they are worth hundreds of millions of dollars and even billions. Thes are not the guys that look for support and resistance. If you look at big trends, they break through support and resistance like an armored piercing bullet. The crazy thing is, only 40% of their trades go their way. I would rather be right 40% of time and make millions than be right 80% of the time and make small profit each trade.

veritech6:
Your very welcome. Also, Thank you IGORAD for you contributions. I love this indicator. I always found that the ATR has been an invaluable indicator. Fund managers use them and the famous Turtle group used ATR for stops. This indicator definatley takes advantage of the big moves no doubt as do major and famous trend followers. This is why they are worth hundreds of millions of dollars and even billions. Thes are not the guys that look for support and resistance. If you look at big trends, they break through support and resistance like an armored piercing bullet. The crazy thing is, only 40% of their trades go their way. I would rather be right 40% of time and make millions than be right 80% of the time and make small profit each trade.

Hi Veritech,

First of all I would like to say that I have the highest respect for Igorad. I know him here on this forum as long as I am a member. So there is now way that with this posting I mean something wrong against his indicator or his contribution to this forum.

You sound pretty much extatic about this indicator. OK. You show a chart which you found some settings for that are showing the moves or following the right trend.

Now take the follwing steps but leave the very same settings and parameters that you now have and place the indicator on following pairs:

eurusd, eurjpy, gbpusd, gbpjpy.

Do you still see the very same waves or moves been catched in the same way or following the trend in the same way ?

If not how comes ?.....maybe your anwer is going to be that one needs to search for a setting for each pair individually .....

And if you found those settings look good on the eurgbp NOW and then look back over the period sept-nov 2008 do you still see the very same catching of moves or does it look different. Or if you found some settings that would be ideal on the moves over sept-dec 2008 on the gbpjpy and look with those settings on today do you still have the same visual statisfaction ?

And if you found yourself an ideal setting on a 4H TH and place it on an other pair on 1H TF does it still give you that wow feeling ?....

If your answer on most of my questions is NO....how comes. And will you not find with many indicators simillar outcomes.

And if you find a very nice setting on some pair and on some period and that pair takes the behaviour of an other pair does that means that you need to continioulsy change the parameters? And is that not running after the facts ?....

Does that not mean that we can bend or curve-fit any indicator to make it look as nice as possible on data that bellongs to the past and is of no use anymore what so ever ?

Regards...iGoR

Hi Igor,

I did sound a little entousiastic, sorry about that. I wanted to give props to the creator of the indicator and wanted to let others know why an indicator with ATR settings are important. I didnt mean to make his indicator sound like it was the holy grail, nor anywhere in my post did I indicate that it was. However, as most people know, ATRs are used for stops and money management which is why I felt this indicator can be a great addition to someone's strategy, or if the indicator itself is a system. I understand that the indicator will not work 100% percent of the time (none do). In fact trend following strategies on average work 40% of the time. Its when they do work that the individual can amass profits larger that the losses produced during the little moves. I also tested his indicator with his original default settings of StepMA_v7.1 indicator and proved to be very robust which means I can use this indicator with multiple time frames and currencies. I cannot find and instance where the indicator did not pick up the big move. If so, please show me where it missed the trend. I dont want to be right on the little things, but the very big things. I am not arguing either. I think your questions were valid and am glad to answer. I love to talk about trading . I will check out your links since I am always up for something new.

Dear VERITECH6 thank you for sharing your great indicator.

would you please tell us the exact setting for indicator.

I change some of choices but can't find your chart settings .

Hey Macd,

I did not create the indicator, I cannot take credit. The best use of the indicator is to use the original settings from the 7.1 version. The 7.2 default settings make no sense at all and are worthless to me. The original settings for 7.1 are as follows:

Leave the rest the same. except change the color mode to 2. This will give you the green and red buy signals and help you see the alerts when you get them.

These setting are robust and will work with all currencies and TFs. Remember this indicator is meant to catch the big moves. During ranging markets you will wipsaw. Just follow the alerts and you should be fine. ATRs get you out of a bad trade early before you get destroyed. Also, compound your winnings and make bigger profits. Dont lose face for multiple losing trades. Everybody gets those. Dont try to predict the charts, it is what it is and your decision can only be because of what you see, not what you think your going to see and this indicator helps. Here is another indicator that is also robust with all currencies and time frames. This also has alerts and is an ATR indicator.

I also noticed that if you just change the Kv to 0.7, you will get earlier signals. Whatever floats your boat is whats going to be right for you. What makes this indicator and the indicator that I posted earlier awesome is that it will tell you when to get out. You must exit when it tells you too, no questions asked. Keep yourself in the game so the time comes to take advantage of the big move. The alerts should suffice. If there is an email method that someone could be so kind to include for us, I would be grateful

Regards

veritech6

I have a problem with the Step MA -- I have run this with one broker and it was all fine and then switched brokers and suddenly the MA shows completely different although the SAME settings - I can switch within the same MT4 from one acc at one broker to the other acc at the other broker and the settings of the StepMA remain identical but show HUGE difference - although the chart and pricing looks pretty identical too!a and the new broker tells me they have no specific settings for the indicator to not work or work "wrong" anyone an idea please? or can refer to someone who would know?

Reason: