Big changes for MT4, in a few weeks - page 111

Why I can't load Renko Chart on new MT4, please someone help me

kjmchc1010:
Why I can't load Renko Chart on new MT4, please someone help me

You may want to give a litle more detail.

michaelB:
You may want to give a litle more detail.

It just "can't run it". The renko chart show but price not run.

mladen:
A lot of things are said about mql5 but seems that some things are constantly left out : mql5 is an overcomplicated, clumsy imitation of a C++ that, among other things, was unable to overload functions like IndicatorSetInteger(), indicatorSetDouble() and IndicatorSetString() functions (and hundreds of cases similar to these 3 - all that in an coding environment that claims that functions overloading is a routine thing). Instead of being a coding language for TRADING platform, it is some language for some kind of trading (that nobody seems to be using - not even US regulated brokers) Making mql4 coding language migrate towards mql5 is a nonsense that will have the same end as metatrader 5 had : nobody is posting or writing usefull code for it (and please, before I get crucified for what I told, check when was the first time I posted mql5 code sources and how much mql5 code I have written annd posted in all these years of metatrader 5)

Thanks Mladen,

things might improve a bit about compatibility of old indicators in the next new releases, but if as you put it "Making mql4 coding language migrate towards mql5 is a nonsense" we will eventually have to cope with this coding nonsense everytime we want to modify an indicator or EA in the future and probably have to learn how to code in mql5 in order to rewrite them...

1) In the old metaeditor 4.00 we had in the navigator 3 tabs: files, search and dictionary and with these tools even a newby coder like me could find his way, in the new metaeditor 5.00 I don't see any tabs only the files. Where do you find the dictionary and search function to learn the correct way to enter the differents variables and functions?

2) Another problem I have is that the old indicators I had on the metatrader platform before the upgrade are still working (as long as I dont compile them) but I can't get additional one to appear on metatrader or metaeditor even though I copied them and I can see in windows explorer that they are there in the expert/indicator folder.

The program is installed in a separate folder in C:/ and not in the C:/Program Files/ according to some advices found online (is it the reason why?)

3) A last question: I know that you have ported some indicators from other platforms so you have both an in depth and a panoramic view of the problem, what platform would be the best alternative in the long run?

I am considering Ninja Trader, but I don't know anything about its coding language...

Since we'll have to learn a new language anyway, why not invest this time and energy in a new platform all toghether rather than in a coding nonsense?

Thanks

Jean-Louis

schmurex:
Thanks Mladen,

things might improve a bit about compatibility of old indicators in the next new releases, but if as you put it "Making mql4 coding language migrate towards mql5 is a nonsense" we will eventually have to cope with this coding nonsense everytime we want to modify an indicator or EA in the future and probably have to learn how to code in mql5 in order to rewrite them...

1) In the old metaeditor 4.00 we had in the navigator 3 tabs: files, search and dictionary and with these tools even a newby coder like me could find his way, in the new metaeditor 5.00 I don't see any tabs only the files. Where do you find the dictionary and search function to learn the correct way to enter the differents variables and functions?

2) Another problem I have is that the old indicators I had on the metatrader platform before the upgrade are still working (as long as I dont compile them) but I can't get additional one to appear on metatrader or metaeditor even though I copied them and I can see in windows explorer that they are there in the expert/indicator folder.

The program is installed in a separate folder in C:/ and not in the C:/Program Files/ according to some advices found online (is it the reason why?)

3) A last question: I know that you have ported some indicators from other platforms so you have both an in depth and a panoramic view of the problem, what platform would be the best alternative in the long run?

I am considering Ninja Trader, but I don't know anything about its coding language...

Since we'll have to learn a new language anyway, why not invest this time and energy in a new platform all toghether rather than in a coding nonsense?

Thanks

Jean-Louis

Ok, question #2 solved:

I have followed the instruction of Angevoyageur there: CANT ADD CUSTOM INDICATORS - MQL4 forum:

" Start your platform, if not ready open.

On the File menu, click on Open Data Folder.

An Explorer window opens.

It's all the data for your platform, open MQL4 folder.

In this folder you can find Experts, Indicators and Scripts sub-folders,

Copy your mq4 or ex4 file in the appropriate folder.

Restart your MT4 platform.

P.S. It's not the only way, but it's simplest for non technical person I think."

So it looks like there is 2 instances of the files: one in the path I have asked for the download and where I was copying the indicators in the expert/indicator folder as I used to do before the new releases, but the one used by the terminal and the editor is a very long address something like this: User/x/AppData/Roaming/ Metaquotes/Terminal/03F647GA........../MQL4/Expert/Indicator

Well very fast and easy to do everytime!!

Anyway now I can see these indicators but they don't work I have to compile them and for one of them it's a problem of array mentioned earlier by Mladen...

Now I'm still looking for answers to question #1 and #3

Thanks

seller9:
There is no problem with single pair charts, the problem is when a basket offline chart of multiple pairs is used.

You need to create a basket chart using the Basket8 indicator coded for 509 and 604 to see what happens with a basket.

I have changed the name of a basket offline chart to that of a single pair and it still did not work, that was tried.

seller9

Just some details : the way your indicator is written it will not update the chart properly

For example : you can not use RegisterWindowMessageA and PostMessageAin new metatrader 4. You Must use RegisterWindowMessageW and PostMessageW functions now. I guess that you have adjusted the format of the one you tested compiling it with build 604

My advice to members who have not yet made the download MT4 600 - don't do it!!!

The two machines on which I haven't made MT4 600 Download operate stably (still on 509.

I have another one where I wanted to test this new Vladimir's BS - and this is now fully infected and unstable. MF Vladimir attacks not only active platforms, but also those that are offline.

600 new MT4 platform burdening abnormal CPU and generally have a feeling that Vladimir and his KGB spying on my entire computer.

Cheers,

Tom

seller9:
There is no problem with single pair charts, the problem is when a basket offline chart of multiple pairs is used.

You need to create a basket chart using the Basket8 indicator coded for 509 and 604 to see what happens with a basket.

I have changed the name of a basket offline chart to that of a single pair and it still did not work, that was tried.

And one more short PS: tested the same thing using build 509 and it works perfectly in build 509 with that same code of the test EA (all prices accessible from EAs - except for the Bid and Ask - which was always the case in the previous builds - you had to access bid and as using MarketInfo() function and not by simple Bid and Ask referencing). The conclusion seems to be obvious ...

hughesfleming:
Thanks mladen,

I will have to see what is happening. I am using a dll to return a period value. It works fine in 509 but in the build I have which is still 574, there is a problem somewhere. It appears to work but returns a some fixed value regardless of time frame which is obviously not correct. I only discovered that it was not working when I changed time frame and the value remained the same. I glanced through the metaquotes forum and there was some mention that the CopyRates had changed in some way and that dlls would not work.

Thanks for your help. I will try and figure it out.

Kind regards,

Alex

Alex

It turns out that some additional code changes need to be done in mql code in order to make it use ArrayCopyRates() as a source for dll prices. Posted one version of random walk index in which it is visible all that needs to be done in order to have up to date prices that will then be used by a dll (posted it here : https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/183798/page13 )

seller9:

seller9

Here is a version that produces a new offline file format. It works OK (except for the new metatrader 4 bug that I have described). One remark : in the new metatrader if a FileFlush() is kept within a loop it slows down the process significantly (and I mean it makes it very, very slow). Hence FileFlush() should be used only when really necessary and if it can be done, only once per tick call (that is oanother "present" that we got from metaquotes in this new metatrader 4)

Files:
Reason: