Questions: to start with MetaTrader and forex - page 25

ooandajb:
Friend i am new to this forum. I had been trading this market since 2004 and now willing to help new traders coming into this market. It is nice that you have been practicing demo accounts for two months. This is the first step that all new trades must take. Before entering this market or signing up with any broker one must use their demo accounts which will help you to trade this market as well know the broker and its trading platforms.

I am also new to Fx trading have < 1 month on a demo account and came accross this forum. I am also new to using forums so apologise if I am breaking any conventions.

My question is I have been using a DBfx trial account. I have also tried another trial programme Fxcm. From looking through this forum it would appear that Mt4 offers far more flexability and programming options than either of the 2 I have used. Is Mt4 for experienced users only or advanced programmers? Is Mt4 a good programme for the likes of me?

Cheers

Lambo,

It really depends on your background for coding. If you have coding experience beyond C++ you are well on your way to becoming overqualified to work with MQL4 considering its a dumbed down version of C++.

Many MT4 Brokers tend to be shady, so your problem is not the platform they use, but the integrity of the brokerage and the safety of your funds.

This will depend on your risk tolerance, MT4 is widely supported, and has one of the larger followings of code / coders around with a extensive database of various indicators, programs, money management system etc completed, but then you deal with brokers that might steal your money, or disappear over night (that is an exaggeration)

There are other platforms available such as Ninja Platform or Strategy Runner, but the amount of code that is distributed across the internet is probably minimal comparatively speaking with MT4.

From what I have heard- FXCM is not always safe, but I have no personal experience validates such statements.

DBFX is safe- it's a large bank, trading with them you need to be careful of true market spikes as they are ECN- the market sometimes is that volatile.

If you are able to trade without fancy indicators- then I would suggest for going with DBFX

If you're looking to code your own strategies, test methods and hypothesis, MT4 IMO the way to go.

Cheers.

Editing comments

Is it not possible to edit comments after a order has been placed in MT4? I can't find much info on this. I usually forget to enter them right off the bat.

I was a beginner in forex myself not too long ago and I remember that MT4 was not the most comfortable platform for me. Although I would not dream of trading without it now, when I started using it, I found that it was not the most user friendly platform. Anybody else feel the same way?

viv_1612:
I was a beginner in forex myself not too long ago and I remember that MT4 was not the most comfortable platform for me. Although I would not dream of trading without it now, when I started using it, I found that it was not the most user friendly platform. Anybody else feel the same way?

No, it is definitely not user friendly, and unfortunately, every time I have posted a thread regarding its use, it gets merged to another thread by a moderator, where the question never gets answered.

Performance problem with 1 minute charts

I find mt4 performance very poor using 1 minute charts. I only run 2 of them, with several indicators each, and mt4 just crawls. Even to use the crosshairs or scroll a chart is painfully slow.

It's not a hardware resource issue (unles mt4 is just a huge hog), I can have literally more than a dozen 1 minute charts open on TradeStation, without any performance problem.

Is there anything I can do to improve performance on 1m charts?

TIA

Jeff

Your computer / MT4 may be running off a very large historical chart running 99999+ bars back. Running more bars = more calculation. Running more calculation = more resources being used.

Please check Tools->Options->Charts and make the numbers smaller in the two categories provided

DataCenter connecting failed [6]

Anyone know how to fix this error:

'1006060': DataCenter connecting failed [6]

I also got a few error messages like this:

'1006060': login

My internet connection went down and reconnected, but now my EA isnt placing any trades, I can trade manually, but no trades are executed by the EA?

Can someone please tell me how I can fix this problem as I tried restarting metatrader but its still getting the same error.

Much appreciated.

Walander:
Jeff

Your computer / MT4 may be running off a very large historical chart running 99999+ bars back. Running more bars = more calculation. Running more calculation = more resources being used.

Please check Tools->Options->Charts and make the numbers smaller in the two categories provided

That took care of it, much better now, thanks Walander!

i remember seeing an indicator somewhere that incorporates 4 different chart times into 4 seperate subwindows within window 2...i believe it was an RSI indicator, but not sure.

i am trying to find one that has the same capability but for CCI, does anyone know of where one is or if it even exists?

so that my inquiry is clear, this is an idea of what i'm after.

#####################Window 2#######################

Subwindow 1 #### Subwindow 2 ####Subwindow 3 #### Subwindow 4

15min...................1Hr....................... 4Hr ................... Daily

Reason: