Everyone needs to stop BACK TESTING EA's

BACK TESTING IS A WASTE OF TIME....

PLEASE FORWARD TEST

MarvinSk:

PLEASE FORWARD TEST

MarvinSk,

I have been forward testing this EA- two versions, five different timeframes, with regular and mini accounts with presets and default settings. So far, NONE of them are profitable. I will post the second day of results tomorrow morning.

I am still curious how others received such excellent results provided with statements near the beginning of this thread, because my forward testing so far does not reflect this.

slam:
MarvinSk,

I have been forward testing this EA- two versions, five different timeframes, with regular and mini accounts with presets and default settings. So far, NONE of them are profitable. I will post the second day of results tomorrow morning.

I am still curious how others received such excellent results provided with statements near the beginning of this thread, because my forward testing so far does not reflect this.

I'll post my results tomorrow as well..so far today it is flat since it made profit yesterday. I think the settings and the data that the broker issues have a lot to do with it. Time will tell if it will hold in the forward test. I agree -- the backtests are useless unless ran on M1 and even then I question MT4's backtest capability.

i think that the EA is best set between 6am-6pm. My time is GMT+8. i notice that the EA make couple of losts during U.S opening.

fxspeedster:
well, I ran many backtests with version 1.50 (default settings) on M5 timeframes and I get very good stats with only 0.10 lots traded. See attachement. For some reason I cannot get the backtest with 1.60 running. It provides no output. Can you guys take a look and see why this is? pls post your recommendations to be able to run backtests on 1.60

That is the same problem that I encountered.

Try to put StaticStopLoss=0.

It should be able to trade, for now.

BTW, I know some MQL programming. I'll try to add magic number to this EA, so that we can forward test this EA with different settings concurrently.

Has anyone ever bother to read how the backtest simulation is really work? It's totaly unreliable. So, I really sceptical with those EA that gives tremendous results on bactest.

-mk

MarvinSk:

PLEASE FORWARD TEST

back testing is really the only tool we have to compare against past data. while it is not 100% accurate it gives a broad picture of what an EA can and can't do. I myself would like to get an idea of what a system can do before i invest months of forward testing... telling everyone never to back test is ridiculous

lets help each other out here instead of putting down other people efforts.

emka207:
That is the same problem that I encountered.

Try to put StaticStopLoss=0.

It should be able to trade, for now.

BTW, I know some MQL programming. I'll try to add magic number to this EA, so that we can forward test this EA with different settings concurrently.

Has anyone ever bother to read how the backtest simulation is really work? It's totaly unreliable. So, I really sceptical with those EA that gives tremendous results on bactest.

-mk

Where can i read about how the back testing works in MT4? I would like to see. Thanks!

i thnik we need to load data from some site that offers it with real back data...

anyone knows some good??

integrityfx:
Where can i read about how the back testing works in MT4? I would like to see. Thanks!

It's in the help file.

Just press F1 key on your keyboard.

Then go to Auto Trading -> Strategy Testing -> Setup.

You should read and understand that before you do any backtesting.

guys,no more backtest pls,backtest just give you a idea how to set the stop loss,or etc. forward testing is the most important thing where most EAs fail. Pls do forward testing and together we fine tune this EA. May the pips with you all.

Reason: