Moving Average - page 72

Gcgman

GCGMAN, I am using your suggested signal using ADX and ATR and LWMA. I have added an additional signal i_trend to provide signals that the above misses. Will your A/D and MA provide further filtering for above? If so what settings do you suggest and if you have improved above settings would be grateful if you kindly share. Thanks, Robert

Hi all,

I'm using MT4 and would like to set a moving average to high and low example 21 period ema high. How is this possible? I can't seem to find any settings for this?

Hi all,

I am using MT4 and would like to change an MA to count the highs and lows rather than close. I can't seem to find a setting for this can anyone help?

Thanks

MA w/ Williams' A/D & other indies.

fxforumuser:
GCGMAN, I am using your suggested signal using ADX and ATR and LWMA. I have added an additional signal i_trend to provide signals that the above misses. Will your A/D and MA provide further filtering for above? If so what settings do you suggest and if you have improved above settings would be grateful if you kindly share. Thanks, Robert

I am not familiar with i_trend so can't comment on how another indicator might compliment it. Unfortunately, the A/D included with MT4 is not the same as the Williams' A/D and is much more eratic. I am attaching the William's A/D and an ADX cross alert. I use a 13 LWMA as a signal line with the Williams' A/D. This does a good job of filtering. Together with the 4 ADX and 4 ATR (w/ 13 LWMA signal) it forms a good methodology. Notice at 6:00 GMT there was a "head fake" that was not filtered. That's why I also pay attention to the moving averages. There is no Holy Grail but, this works pretty good. Look at the attached screen shot for an idea. I usually use this with 30 min TF though, it also works with others.

Good luck,

gcgman

MA Median

jd1888:
Hi all,

I am using MT4 and would like to change an MA to count the highs and lows rather than close. I can't seem to find a setting for this can anyone help?

Thanks

I assume you mean an MA that is based on the average of the high and low. The MA setup screen allows you to choose different price types. Select "Median Price (HL/2)" where it says "Apply to". Or, if you meant two different moving averages (to create a channel) select "high" for one and "low for the other. I hope this helps.

Good luck,

gcgman

gcgman:
I assume you mean an MA that is based on the average of the high and low. The MA setup screen allows you to choose different price types. Select "Median Price (HL/2)" where it says "Apply to". Or, if you meant two different moving averages (to create a channel) select "high" for one and "low for the other. I hope this helps.

Good luck,

gcgman

Thanks for your help it was my stupidity I was trying to do it with a custom MA and couldn't find the settings, but got it now. Thanks again.

gcgman:
I am not familiar with i_trend so can't comment on how another indicator might compliment it. Unfortunately, the A/D included with MT4 is not the same as the Williams' A/D and is much more eratic. I am attaching the William's A/D and an ADX cross alert. I use a 13 LWMA as a signal line with the Williams' A/D. This does a good job of filtering. Together with the 4 ADX and 4 ATR (w/ 13 LWMA signal) it forms a good methodology. Notice at 6:00 GMT there was a "head fake" that was not filtered. That's why I also pay attention to the moving averages. There is no Holy Grail but, this works pretty good. Look at the attached screen shot for an idea. I usually use this with 30 min TF though, it also works with others.

Good luck,

gcgman

Thank you for your kind reply.

gcgman:

Good luck,

gcgman

Good morning GCGMAN

Many thanks for Williams A/D and your kind comments, extremely helpful.

A few questions.

(1) I read in the same forum a suggestion to use W A/D with Exp MA30, do you have any comments in case you have tried in comparison with LWMA13?

(2) you mention hear ATR4 and ADX4 as opposed to ATR5 and ADX5 which you suggested previously, are you getting better results with 4 rather than 5?

(3) you suggested earlier a filter of Stoch (13,13,1), do you use that in conjunction with above?

(4) have you found a way to capture positive trades when ATR is below LVMA and therefore are missed in this strategy?

Kind regards, Robert

MA signal lines

fxforumuser:
Good morning GCGMAN

Many thanks for Williams A/D and your kind comments, extremely helpful.

A few questions.

(1) I read in the same forum a suggestion to use W A/D with Exp MA30, do you have any comments in case you have tried in comparison with LWMA13?

(2) you mention hear ATR4 and ADX4 as opposed to ATR5 and ADX5 which you suggested previously, are you getting better results with 4 rather than 5?

(3) you suggested earlier a filter of Stoch (13,13,1), do you use that in conjunction with above?

(4) have you found a way to capture positive trades when ATR is below LVMA and therefore are missed in this strategy?

Kind regards, Robert

Hi Robert, I will try to answer your questions as regards moving averages. The other questions really are not part of this thread so I will send you a PM later to explain settings and strategy.

Last spring, cjd expained how to get a ma of indicators. Since then I have been experimenting with many indicators in combination with moving averages for signal lines. After all, that is what the stochastic and MACD are.

Each indicator and MA should be synchronized with the TF you are using. Early settings I may have shown were for one TF and another indicator and its settings for a different TF. My favorite TF is the 30 min. so settings I use now are focused on that for day trading. Higher settings are better for position or long term trading. Lower settings are better for day trading. So the settings should match your trading style.

The 13,13,1 stoch is exactly the same as a WPR 13 with a 13 moving average signal. It is a fairly safe signal for a beginner trying to synchronize which combined with other indicators can be very effective. I do not use it for a filter. Combining a 13 LWMA with the ATR 4 gives a good reference for when to trade and not. If the ATR is below the MA but, moving up or is above the level line I showed I still might trade depending on strength of other signals and my other moving averages on my chart.

Kind regards,

gcgman

MA price distance indicator

Hi guys.

It is hard to code indicator that will show me how far is the current price for 20, 50, 200 MA?

Thx

Reason: