First of all, it is necessary to optimize the adviser. To do this, check the history of quotes for the currency pair of your broker's terminal (they often do not place the trading history to facilitate loading the terminal, and without an expert, the adviser can not begin testing). Quotations can be downloaded manually in the quotes archive (F2). If there is no possibility to pump up the history of trading for a couple of months, then look for them on the Internet or change the broker.
And now it is more detailed. Go to the Tools -> Optionstab, then select the "Charts" tab and in the "Max. Bars of history "and" Max. Bars in the window "select the value 250,000 as shown in the figure
(By default, there are 65,000 bars).
Now proceed to optimize the Expert Advisor to select the input parameters.
next, we set the symbol (currency pair), the testing model and the testing period (usually a minimum of two or three months) or choose a period with increased volatility (news output, etc.).
In order for quotes for the required pair to be available in the terminal, to conduct a test on them, open the Tools tab -> Archiveof quotes or press F2. Next, choose the desired pair and period M1 and press the "download" button. After a while, quotes will be downloaded. We overload the terminal (turn it off and turn it on again). Repeat this procedure several times until the gray battery displayed before the period turns yellow-green. And so do all the timeframes.
In order for history center for the required pair to be available in the terminal, to conduct a test on them, open the Tools tab -> Archive of quotes or press F2. Next, choose the desired pair and period M1 and press the "download" button. After a while, history center will be downloaded. We overload the terminal (turn it off and turn it on again). Repeat this procedure several times until the gray battery displayed before the period turns yellow-green. And so do all the timeframes.
With optimization for all ticks, the amount of generated ticks can be quite large, so the terminal can consume quite a lot of resources and a lot of time, which is why it is first necessary to find approximate input parameters for opening prices.
For the final optimization, the Expert Advisor always chooses the method of all ticks. This is the slowest, but also the most reliable method.
To speed up testing in tabs
"Input parameters" first select three or four parameters (check the box as shown in the figure) and do not forget to set the start parameters, step and stop (the larger the step, the faster the testing will be, but the accuracy of the parameters will be coarser).
In the tabs "Testing" you can enter the deposit used for the test and the deposit currency, as well as the optimized parameter.
Spread - you can specify any value or use the current spread on a pair.
Put a tick in the window "Optimization" and press "Start". After a while, after testing the Expert Advisor, the tester will give you the options of input parameters that you can select in the "Optimization Results" box at your discretion. Choose always parameters with low drawdown and reasonable profit, for this, left-click twice in the " Drawdown" column in the "Optimization results" window.
From personal experience testing and optimization of the advisor.To maintain a low drawdown, high profit Factor and
recovery Factor with a deposit of $ 10,000 the input parameters can vary within the limits of:
- TP = 800 - 1500 pips (if after the comma 5 signs and one zero less if 4 characters);
- SL = 3000 and more pips (if after the comma is 5 characters and one zero is less, if 4 when, trading the first option, see Here);
- SL = 300 - 800 pips (if after the comma is 5 characters, if 4 when, when trading the second option, see Here);
- Trailing Stop = 300 - 500 pips (if after the comma 5 signs and one zero less if 4 characters);
- Lots = 0.01 - 0.1 (the original lot, later it will be modified by Martingale). It is not worth the lot to choose a large;
- MartinLot = range - 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2. A higher Martingale ratio can lead to greater risks and higher drawdowns, but also to greater profits.
- MaxLots - the size limiter after applying the multiplication factor MartinLots serves to reduce the drawdown of the balance for strong bull or bear market sentiment and volatility. I advise in the beginning of the trade to put - 0,1-0,5 (with the initial Lot = 0,01-0,1). Later, when you become accustomed to the work of the Expert Advisor, you can change MaxLots to a higher one to increase profits.
By the way, all input parameters can and should be periodically changed to a greater or lesser extent at least every two to three months, especially when the seasons change or important news approaches. This will allow the adviser to adapt quickly and without losses to the realities of the market.