What is a tester's Grail?

Please give me your opinion, I don't need it for myself, I need it for my companion. I have no idea what testing on real ticks is all about. He thinks I'm exaggerating and I need to start selling faster.

He hasn't even tested on the demo because there is some profit on explicit bar openings!

And I don't need further problems with angry customers and refunds. Besides, I am preparing another EA which is much more profitable.

Please write your opinion about tester Grails with explicit bar opening.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

Please give me your opinion, I don't need it for myself, I need it for my companion. I have no idea what testing on real ticks is all about. He thinks I'm exaggerating and I need to start selling faster.

He hasn't even tested on the demo because there is some profit on explicit bar openings!

And I don't need further problems with angry customers and refunds. Besides, I am preparing another EA which is much more profitable.

Please write your opinion on tester Grails with explicit bar opening.

Used to work - now need to check it, haven't run it for a while

https://www.mql5.com/ru/code/244

Grr-al
Grr-al
  • votes: 43
  • Igor Volodin
  • www.mql5.com
Тестерный грааль для режимов "по ценам открытия" и "OHLC на M1".

What difference does it make how the ticks are generated and in what sequence they go if the EA has a clear logic that all calculations, opening and closing go only at the opening of a new bar? Also, the EA "sleeps" the whole candle, and it does not matter what happens inside the ticks. Also, if the built-in indicators are used, they also work only on closed candlesticks. Testing by real ticks and by opening prices in this case should coincide completely, but this is provided that the entire logic of the Expert Advisor is built clearly with control of the opening of a new bar.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

Please write your opinion on the tester grails with an explicit bar opening.

Alexei, what kind of partners may be in forex? And what is a much higher degree of probability?

Vladimir Zubov:

What difference does it make how the ticks are generated and in what sequence they go if the EA has a clear logic that all calculations, opening and closing go only at the opening of a new bar? Also, the EA "sleeps" the whole candle, and it does not matter what happens inside the ticks. Also, if the built-in indicators are used, they also work only on closed candlesticks. Testing by real ticks and by opening prices in this case should coincide completely, but this is provided that the entire logic of the Expert Advisor is built with precise control of opening a new bar.

Just didn't have control, he accidentally enabled this mode in the tester and for some reason went profit on BO, I have this robot clicking buttons on binary.

Алексей Тарабанов:

Alexei, what kind of partners can there be in forex? And what is a much higher degree of probability?

Well, then you have to avoid partners in the regular business as well.

This old robot gives about 10-15% per month on real, sometimes more if optimised continuously. But you have to optimise on real ticks too, not on the simulation that the tester gives.

I've been making new robots based on tick data instead of bars for a long time. More or less likely, I will tell in September. What is there to guess, we need to get it right.

Andrey Miguzov:

Used to work - need to check now, haven't run it for a while

https://www.mql5.com/ru/code/244

Here I see you have the correct warning in the kodobase

Warning: The test modes "by opening price" and "M1 OHLC" canonlybe usedfor rough and fast strategy evaluation.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

Here I see you have the right warning in the kodobase

Warning: The " open prices" and "M1 OHLC" testing modes canonlybe usedfor a rough and fast strategy evaluation.

I tend to place much more faith in a robot based on opening prices with a running period of 1 day than those tested on real ticks - that's a total screw up for sure. The test on real ticks and real work is heaven and earth. So it's all self-deception.

the first thing that comes to mind

A tester grail is an automatically trading robot that has beaten historical data by adjusting parameters, but does not realise that in real life the quote will be dynamic and unpredictable, i.e. one that cannot be adjusted until it becomes history.

Alexey Volchanskiy:

Here I see you have the right warning in the kodobase

Warning: The test modes "by opening price" and "M1 OHLC" canonlybe usedfor rough and fast strategy evaluation.

EA is not mine - just remembered it was in the codebase. I ran it and it still works :)

On"open prices" (and on "M1 OHLC" +- the same)

In "all ticks" mode (real ticks +- same thing)

Anyone interested - there is a detailed description of why this happens...

Initially, the EA itself should be made to work on bar opening. Then the tests will be the same, and somewhere close to reality.

The higher the timeframe, the more realistic the picture is.

Reason: