Errors, bugs, questions - page 2806

Alexey Viktorov:

You do not need to copy anything anywhere, provided you do not have your own Expert Advisors, indicators or scripts. When you run terminal64.exe with the /portable switch for the first time, the terminal creates the required folders in the location folder and downloads everything you need into them.

It looks like this

Top line is a path to terminal.

Yes, I know, I thought so.Now I don't need to copy anything fromAppData, all working folders of terminal are in root anyway.
I just thought thatAppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes could be excluded as well, by moving it to the root of the terminal.

Roman:

Yes, I assumed that nothingneeds to be copied fromAppData now, all the working folders of the terminal are in the root as it is.
I just thoughtAppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes could be excluded by moving it to the root of the terminal.

This folder will still be created, but all your programs will be in the root of your terminal.

Vladimir Pastushak:

This folder will be created anyway, but all your programs will be in the root of your terminal.

Then I don't understand the meaning of /portable switch, if everything is already in the root. ))
So it's not needed now?
Or is it needed if the default path, the location of the root directory is changed?

Roman:

Then I don't understand the meaning of the /portable switch, if everything is already in the root. ))
So it's not needed now?
Or is it needed if the default path, root directory location is changed?

There's a shared folder, language documentation, MT and ME manuals. This is the minimum that can be remembered. Consequently, if this folder is removed, where to put the common files, where to place the manuals... in each terminal separately¿?

Alexey Viktorov:

There's a general folder, language documentation, MT and ME manuals. This is the minimum that can be remembered. Consequently, if this folder is deleted, where to put the common files, where to put the manuals... in each terminal separately¿?

Well I thought yes, in each portable different files. Now I realised thatAppData was left for all that shared stuff.
I just don't understand the point of the /portable switch. Do I need to specify it in the shortcut or not?
The meaning of its purpose is not clear to me now ))

Roman:

Well I thought yes, each portable has its own files. Now I understand thatAppData was left for all this general stuff.
I just don't understand the meaning of /portable. Do I need to specify it in the shortcut or not?
The sense of its purpose is not clear to me now )))

This allows you to make a portable version of the terminal and MetaEditor and carry them around with you, e.g. on a flash drive. All the programs that you will write or download will be placed in the terminal directory, in the MQL5 folder. It is very convenient.

Roman:

Well I thought yes, each portable has its own files. Now I understand thatAppData was left for all this general stuff.
I just don't understand the meaning of /portable. Do I need to specify it in the shortcut or not?
The meaning of its purpose is not clear to me now )).

Here's another possibility: since times immemorial, I struggle with problems with reinstalling my Windows. So, if I keep something on disk C: then during reinstallation I will forget to save it and it will be formatted. And if you have nothing on the C: drive but the system, you don't need to save anything. Zip and the disk is clean. Unwrapped the image on it, and you've got a clean, virgin Windows. Only sometimes it is necessary to put shortcuts on desktop and write /portable run and shared folders will be created. And the story is not always for me personally and not all DC need. Well wait if you need a little, will download....

Mihail Matkovskij:

This allows you to make a portable version of the terminal and MetaEditor and carry them around with you, e.g. on a flash drive. All the programs that you will write or download will be located in the terminal directory, in the MQL5 folder. It is very convenient.

All the programs are already in the root directory of the terminal, without /portable key
. Now I do not understand why they have to use this key, if all working folders of MT5 are in the root.
We just copy the root folder and that's it. We can move it anywhere. When we start it, all the same, we will get the stuff inAppData, whether we have the key installed or not.
Then the point in it, if it does not bring any changes.

Roman:

All the programs are already in the root directory of the terminal, without the /portable key
I do not understand why this key should be used now, if all the working folders of mt5 are in the root.
We just copy the root folder and that's it. We can move it anywhere. When we start it, all the same, we will get the required stuff inAppData, whether we have the key installed or not.
Then the point in it, if it does not bring any changes.

To do this, you need to understand the difference between the portable version and the installed version.

Mihail Matkovskij:

To do this, you need to understand the difference between the portable version of the software and the installed version.

What is there to understand? A portable works without installation. As many copies of the root directory as there are independent programs.
The question was about the /portable key, why do you need it now?
Previously, this was needed because all the configs, sources, binaries, etc. were inAppData. And they had to be copied into the root of the terminal.
Now they are all in the root of the terminal by default! And inAppData only the associated files, updates, help, marketplace pictures, etc.
Explain, simply, should this key be specified in the shortcut or not. And what does it do in this case, if all working files are in the root by default!

Copy the root and move it anywhere.AppData will be pulled up after launch anyway

Reason: