Big changes for MT4, in a few weeks - page 18

mladen:
:) I sincerely hope that there is no need to change the name of the thread to "Years" (it would be very close to "tears"). Don't think that metatrader as a trading platform would survive that without serious damage

amen! :-)

Tzuman:
amen! :-)

Sounds so "terminal"

I overheard rumors that same people who created Metatrader, made "Obamacare" website...

Pava:
I overheard rumors that same people who created Metatrader, made "Obamacare" website...

That would be something

mladen:
Sounds so "terminal"

"Terminal" indeed

Guys

Without kidding, reading some comments on the Russian part of mql forum about the expected new metatrader and it is amazing how confusing the whole thing is starting to be. Again and again people are expecting that metatrader 4 code should be 100% compatible with metatrader 5 (which it will never be) and now the requests are to make those coding languages 100% compatible. If metatrader 4 wants to survive it is not possible - if they would be the same then it would be metatrader 5 (the logic of it is so different that it is not possible to make them the same)

mladen:
Guys Without kidding, reading some comments on the Russian part of mql forum about the expected new metatrader and it is amazing how confusing the whole thing is starting to be. Again and again people are expecting that metatrader 4 code should be 100% compatible with metatrader 5 (which it will never be) and now the requests are to make those coding languages 100% compatible. If metatrader 4 wants to survive it is not possible - if they would be the same then it would be metatrader 5 (the logic of it is so different that it is not possible to make them the same)

What most of us are dreading of, some are wishing. Do they understand at all what would it mean for the existing metatrader 4 code (especially EAs) if metatrader 4 compatibility was lost?

It reminds me on a object orientated coding frenzy when they first made C++. The prevailing talking was that "everything will be object orientated - even databases" till they realized that there is no sense at all to make data object orientated (it was just slowing the access to data down). It seems to be the same. As a test I made a simple code that was returning the desired price : once as object (class) and once as a "simple" function. Guess which one was faster?

Objects are good - for some things, not for all. When it comes to sequential processing - time series data, signals from indicators, orders managing ... - there is not much places where objects can improve the execution speed of a "simple" approach

Sorry if I am off topic...

Today I downloaded the actual version of MT4 first from Alpari UK then from Metaquotes. If I am right the version number is 5.0.0.842. I tried to install a copy under Win7 Ultimate 64 bit but I did not succeed. Before it would download the files from the remote server during installation, it asked for Proxy Server details (see the screenshot attached). Since I have no proxy server, I cannot give the details, consequently the installation stops. I switched off the firewall, allowed the setup running in the antivirus software but it kept asking for proxy details. I had the same problem with both the Alpari and Metaquotes clones.

Then I tried to install the same MT4 5.0.0.842 version under Windows XP and it installed without any issue.

Any advice?

chrisstoff:
Sorry if I am off topic...

Today I downloaded the actual version of MT4 first from Alpari UK then from Metaquotes. If I am right the version number is 5.0.0.842. I tried to install a copy under Win7 Ultimate 64 bit but I did not succeed. Before it would download the files from the remote server during installation, it asked for Proxy Server details (see the screenshot attached). Since I have no proxy server, I cannot give the details, consequently the installation stops. I switched off the firewall, allowed the setup running in the antivirus software but it kept asking for proxy details. I had the same problem with both the Alpari and Metaquotes clones.

Then I tried to install the same MT4 5.0.0.842 version under Windows XP and it installed without any issue.

Any advice?

chrisstoff

I am still using the good old XP (only now after all these years it is safe for normal usage). So, I am afraid that in this issue I can not help

Reason: