Big changes for MT4, in a few weeks - page 19

I do not think that object in trading platforms coding languages helps at all. See olde (and much more successful) coding languages (like easy language for example) that have nothing common with object orientated coding language at all. The key should be simplicity - not the opposite

chrisstoff:
Sorry if I am off topic...

Today I downloaded the actual version of MT4 first from Alpari UK then from Metaquotes. If I am right the version number is 5.0.0.842. I tried to install a copy under Win7 Ultimate 64 bit but I did not succeed. Before it would download the files from the remote server during installation, it asked for Proxy Server details (see the screenshot attached). Since I have no proxy server, I cannot give the details, consequently the installation stops. I switched off the firewall, allowed the setup running in the antivirus software but it kept asking for proxy details. I had the same problem with both the Alpari and Metaquotes clones.

Then I tried to install the same MT4 5.0.0.842 version under Windows XP and it installed without any issue.

Any advice?

chrisstoff,

I remember having the same issue and I solved it by pressing "cancel" instead of entering proxy data. But I guess you tried that already?

It can be different with Alpari.

It is actually becoming funny

We could start a pool "what year will the new metatrader 4 will reach the alpha stage?" and who guesses the decade that one wins

Gfuchs:
chrisstoff,

I remember having the same issue and I solved it by pressing "cancel" instead of entering proxy data. But I guess you tried that already?

It can be different with Alpari.

Gfuchs,

Thank you for the advice. Yes, I tried to click on "Cancel" and also on "OK" leaving proxy fields empty - none of them was successful (the installation got in an endless loop and I had to stop the installation manually). Both Alpari and Metaquotes variant did the same. I asked Alpari customer service and they answered as simple as "Our software does not use proxy server".

chrisstoff:
Gfuchs, Thank you for the advice. Yes, I tried to click on "Cancel" and also on "OK" leaving proxy fields empty - none of them was successful (the installation got in an endless loop and I had to stop the installation manually). Both Alpari and Metaquotes variant did the same. I asked Alpari customer service and they answered as simple as "Our software does not use proxy server".

chrisstoff

Did you check this page (a bit lower on the page - chapter 3 - there is some explanation about the proxy server and why it is needed sometimes) : FAQs: MetaTrader 4

As usual the news is that there are no news

There are a couple of fiery posts of a a purpose (or meaningfulness) of metatrader 4 or metatrader 5 and that is all. The "years" change in the title of the thread is becoming a more and more probable option

I suggest "decades" in the name of the thread

mladen:
chrisstoff Did you check this page (a bit lower on the page - chapter 3 - there is some explanation about the proxy server and why it is needed sometimes) : FAQs: MetaTrader 4

Mladen,

Thank you, now I checked the page on the link.

The thing is that I do not use proxy. I have been running several instances of MT4 on the same PC under Windows 7 64 bit without any problem using the earlier versions of MT4.

Now I have solved the proxy problem by installing an earlier version of MT4 from the same broker and allowed the update to the current version (Build 509). The installation of the earlier version was smooth and so was the update.

So it was not a professional and elegant solution and I do not like to be a "gadgeteer" when trading is about money...

chrisstoff:
Mladen,

Thank you, now I checked the page on the link.

The thing is that I do not use proxy. I have been running several instances of MT4 on the same PC under Windows 7 64 bit without any problem using the earlier versions of MT4.

Now I have solved the proxy problem by installing an earlier version of MT4 from the same broker and allowed the update to the current version (Build 509). The installation of the earlier version was smooth and so was the update.

So it was not a professional and elegant solution and I do not like to be a "gadgeteer" when trading is about money...

chrisstoff

They were talking about port 443 being blocked (probably by a firewall) as a sort of a problem. Could it be that (just doing a guessing game now)?

Man I go to mql site every day just to see that there is nothing new. Even moderators there are complaining that they are not told anything at all about what is going on.

Reason: