V1andV2 Hedged EA: Beautiful Equity Curve - page 64

I don't understand how so many people who have posted in this thread seem to be surprised that it blew their account!

i can't believe people don't understand how this idea can make money!

ANYWAY to achieve a dynamic grid size, could we use the average hourly pip range from the last 100 bars to determine the distance and t/p levels? Then have an external variable to define the offset.

So if the average hourly pip range is 24, and the TPoffset is 2 and Doffset is -5 then t/p would be 26 and distance would be 19. Then obviously optimize the offset?

Also has anybody tried closing all orders before 7GMT and 14GMT to avoid news report spikes blowing the account, or would that dramatically hinder profits?

Any input on this would be appreciated, i can code and optimize this myself.

Ed

Hi, I used this EA for a while (live) and consistant profit followed by big floating loss, and I remember sometimes the progression level was way too high to scare me out. So, if you can introduce an external variable to reduce these facts, that would be great. But, I personally do not think avoiding any time to trade is advisable, as market movement is certainly needed to trade. Of course you can add an external input for timefilter.

Looking forward for your modified file to revive this excellent thread idea.

scrambledem:
I don't understand how so many people who have posted in this thread seem to be surprised that it blew their account!

i can't believe people don't understand how this idea can make money!

ANYWAY to achieve a dynamic grid size, could we use the average hourly pip range from the last 100 bars to determine the distance and t/p levels? Then have an external variable to define the offset.

So if the average hourly pip range is 24, and the TPoffset is 2 and Doffset is -5 then t/p would be 26 and distance would be 19. Then obviously optimize the offset?

Also has anybody tried closing all orders before 7GMT and 14GMT to avoid news report spikes blowing the account, or would that dramatically hinder profits?

Any input on this would be appreciated, i can code and optimize this myself.

Ed

sivach:
Hi, I used this EA for a while (live) and consistant profit followed by big floating loss, and I remember sometimes the progression level was way too high to scare me out. So, if you can introduce an external variable to reduce these facts, that would be great. But, I personally do not think avoiding any time to trade is advisable, as market movement is certainly needed to trade. Of course you can add an external input for timefilter. Looking forward for your modified file to revive this excellent thread idea.

Did you try multipliers lower than the default?

Rob

I think martingale systems give the wrong idea. They seem to deliver decent results in the beginning, but it's almost inevitable that they will get margin call eventually. I guess the appeal is that they usually give good returns in the beginning.

If the multiplier is less than 2, the pip retrace distance needed to close with profit will be higher, so 2, still went into 10th progression in some occasions, try a forward demo test for few days and you'll see it all.

ChicagoRob:
Did you try multipliers lower than the default? Rob

jturns23:
I think martingale systems give the wrong idea. They seem to deliver decent results in the beginning, but it's almost inevitable that they will get margin call eventually. I guess the appeal is that they usually give good returns in the beginning.

The best way to trade a martingale EA is to put on demo, wait a big fall which empty your account (demo). Then go live after this big fall. Generally this happen by cycle and you would have time to make some money quickly and withdraw before a new big fall.

FerruFx

I agree totally, but martingalling will stay in the currency market and specially in the gambling world. It is like a magnet and thrill for simple traders generally.

jturns23:

That is a very clever approach!!!

FerruFx:
The best way to trade a martingale EA is to put on demo, wait a big fall which empty your account (demo). Then go live after this big fall. Generally this happen by cycle and you would have time to make some money quickly and withdraw before a new big fall. FerruFx

Also, mostly all the martingaling systems bets against the trend, I wonder if any trend following martingale approach?

sivach:
I agree totally, but martingalling will stay in the currency market and specially in the gambling world. It is like a magnet and thrill for simple traders generally.

Agreed. The problem is rookies see the good results the first few days and don't get out in time......then when the bottom falls out, it's to late. I don't mess with martingale's period. The risk reward ratio just isn't worth it.

Reason: