The Bank of Japan's Tankan Survey. Its a survey of manufacturing and service companies designed to assess business conditions in Japan. The BOJ Tankan is conducted quarterly.
- Tankan Large Manufacturing Index, 6 (expected 4, prior 6 )
- Tankan Large Manufacturing Outlook, 6 (expected 3, prior was 3)
- Tankan Large Non-Manufacturing Index, 19 (expected is 19, prior was 22)
- Tankan Large Non-Manufacturing Outlook, 17 (expected is 17, prior was 17)
- Tankan Large All Industry Capex: 6.2% (expected is +5.3%, prior was -0.9%)
- Tankan Small Mfg Index: -5 (expected -6, prior was -4)
- Tankan Small Mfg Outlook: -7 (expected -8, prior was -6)
- Tankan Small Non-Mfg Index: 0 (expected 1, prior was 4)
- Tankan Small Non-Mfg Outlook: -4 (expected -2, prior was -3)
A few beats there amongst the large firms. As I commented earlier, this survey was conducted prior to the Brexit vote last week (the BOJ tells us that around 70% of the resonses were in by June 13). If it was taken this week instead I imagine sentiment wouldn't have been quite so chipper.