Discussion of article "General information on Trading Signals for MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5" - page 10

Sorsys #:
Reference to deal volume, how to make sure that there is enough free margin to cater to floating drawdown without having margin call.

The deposit loads you mentioned are huge, lower your participation percentage in signal's settings (lower than the 95% maximum).

With such lot sizes and deposit loads, the margin call is inevitable.

Eleni Anna Branou #:

The deposit loads you mentioned are huge, lower your participation percentage in signal's settings (lower than the 95% maximum).

With such lot sizes and deposit loads, the margin call is inevitable.

I just applied the formula: (500/358) * 1 = 1.3 lots. Pls correct me the formula needs to incorporate the required margin effect also.

Sorsys #:
I just applied the formula: (500/358) * 1 = 1.3 lots. Pls correct me the formula needs to incorporate the required margin effect also.

I still don't understand, the fact remains that with such deposit loads you will get a margin call sooner or later.

Eleni Anna Branou #:

I still don't understand, the fact remains that with such deposit loads you will get a margin call sooner or later.

1. Provider: balance 358 USD, leverage 1:100
  2. Subscriber: balance 1000 USD, leverage 1:100, deposit load percentage 50%
  3. Max open lots: (500/358) * 1 = 1.3 lots
"with such deposit loads you will get a margin call sooner or later"

My response: Therefore, I think the formula needs to incorporate margin requirement also so that with such deposit loads there should be a rational figure for max open lots. 

Get it or I am missing something?

Sorsys #:
  1. Provider: balance 358 USD, leverage 1:100
  2. Subscriber: balance 1000 USD, leverage 1:100, deposit load percentage 50%
  3. Max open lots: (500/358) * 1 = 1.3 lots
"with such deposit loads you will get a margin call sooner or later"

My response: Therefore, I think the formula needs to incorporate margin requirement also so that with such deposit loads there should be a rational figure for max open lots. 

Get it or I am missing something?

Read again your initial post please, I think you have confused balances with deposit loads.

"Suppose my deposit load is 500 with leverage 100:1 whereas provider's balance is 356 with the same leverage of 100:1 so the max open lots are 1.3. Now keeping the required margin of each FX pair in mind, it will be around $150-200 for 1.3 lots which is up to 40% of my balance and certainly not recommended for risk management pov. What would you recommend in this situation?"

If your deposit load is 50% is quite acceptable, the 500 made me tell you that is huge.

Eleni Anna Branou #:

Read again your initial post please, I think you have confused balances with deposit loads.

"Suppose my deposit load is 500 with leverage 100:1 whereas provider's balance is 356 with the same leverage of 100:1 so the max open lots are 1.3. Now keeping the required margin of each FX pair in mind, it will be around $150-200 for 1.3 lots which is up to 40% of my balance and certainly not recommended for risk management pov. What would you recommend in this situation?"

If your deposit load is 50% is quite acceptable, the 500 made me tell you that is huge.

Max deposit load = Max Capital protection, right?

With 50% max deposit load (500 balance) , 1.3 max open lots seems unjustifiable. It's way too much and a margin call is inevitable. What do you think?

Sorsys #:
Max deposit load = Max Capital protection, right?

With 50% max deposit load (500 balance) , 1.3 max open lots seems unjustifiable. It's way too much and a margin call is inevitable. What do you think?

The smaller the maximum deposit load, the better for your account.

1.3 lots for a $500 account seems too much, yes.

Eleni Anna Branou #:

The smaller the maximum deposit load, the better for your account.

1.3 lots for a $500 account seems too much, yes.

Max open lots should not exceed ____% of your balance. 

Pls fill in the blank. 

Sorsys #:
Max open lots should not exceed ____% of your balance. 

Pls fill in the blank. 

There is no definite answer to that question, it depends on your trading style, the undertaken risk and many other factors.

Some say that the ideal trade size is 0.01 per $1000 per trade, others say 0.01 per $3000, some others may open 0.10 per $1000.

It's all a matter or risk management really.

Also it depends on the number of trades that will be open simultaneously, some strategies have only 1 trade open at a time, some other grid strategies may have dozens.

Personally I feel comfortable with anything around 0.01-0.03 per $1000/trade and a deposit load under 50%, but this is all very objective.
Reason: