Points VS Pips - page 109

Aleksey Vyazmikin:

The argument is bizarre

OK, no pips, but pips are there. Haven't heard of pointing.

Vladimir Baskakov:
Yes, to the left of the comma is a clause. And how to write numbers correctly is taught at school

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and strategy testing

What do you mean by pips ? At a five digit quote.

Artyom Trishkin, 2019.09.29 21:31

So all this nonsense is perfectly true and the documentation is completely untrue?

Good. Abide gentlemen further in your illusions.

//+------------------------------------------------------------------+
//|                                                        Point.mq5 |
//|                        Copyright 2019, MetaQuotes Software Corp. |
//|                             https://mql5.com/ru/users/artmedia70 |
#property copyright "Copyright 2019, MetaQuotes Software Corp."
#property link      "https://mql5.com/ru/users/artmedia70"
#property version   "1.00"
//| Script program start function                                    |
void OnStart()
  {
//---
   int total=SymbolsTotal(false);
   for(int i=0;i<total;i++)
     {
      bool selected=false;
      string name=SymbolName(i,false);
      if(!SymbolInfoInteger(name,SYMBOL_SELECT))
        {
         if(!SymbolSelect(name,true))
            continue;
         selected=true;
        }
      double pt=SymbolInfoDouble(name,SYMBOL_POINT);
      double ts=SymbolInfoDouble(name,SYMBOL_TRADE_TICK_SIZE);
      int    dg=(int)SymbolInfoInteger(name,SYMBOL_DIGITS);
      Print("(",(string)i,"): ",name,", Digits=",(string)dg,", Point=",DoubleToString(pt,dg),", TickSize=",DoubleToString(ts,dg));
      if(selected)
         SymbolSelect(name,false);
     }
  }

And as an example, one of the 14875 characters on MetaQuotes-BSE:

2019.09.30 02:27:42.131 (11889): JPYINR18OCT67.7500 PE.d, Digits=4, Point=0.0001, TickSize=0.0025

And there are many of them.

This also applies to statements that you - super traders - tixias is a pip, or a point, or whoever else is talking about something...

Come on gentlemen, keep going. I - without you...

Artyom Trishkin:

Once again, the size of a tick is not a point (pips). Neither is a tick itself a point (pips)

Artyom Trishkin:

The mql function Point() is misleading. Its identifier counterpart is SYMBOL_POINT.
Point() is the oldest function since the birth of MT and when the terminal had only forex, and only four digits!
With the introduction of other markets in the terminal, the name of the Point() function remained unchanged for the four digits!
I have no idea why its name was not changed.
Perhaps, it was retained for compatibility with the multi-market terminal, and it is not correct to use it together with TickSize in this case.
This Point() function like SYMBOL_POINT should be nicely eradicated from the mql language, and all confusion will disappear.
Better yet, it should be renamed to its true name, that it returnsthe digit capacity of a quote, not the point!
Because there is a minimum step of price change, it is TickSize !
And in your example, in this case, what does the function SYMBOL_POINT show ?
The points? If you think so, you are wrong again.
TickSize is the minimum step size of the price 0.0025, so you think TickSize is bigger than your point 0.0001 ?
This is mql nonsense.
And this is what EURUSD shows

2019.09.30 06:38:54.162 TestScript (EURUSD,H1)  (0): EURUSD, Digits=5, Point=0.00001, TickSize=0.00001

You could also run on gold or silver. But the thing is, the measurement there is not in points at all.

Roman:

The mql function Point() is misleading. Its analog is SYMBOL_POINT
Point() is the oldest function since the birth of MT and when the terminal had only forex, and only four signs!
With the introduction of other markets in the terminal, the name of the Point() function remained unchanged for the four digits!
I have no idea why its name was not changed.
Perhaps, it was retained for compatibility with the multi-market terminal, and it is not correct to use it together with TickSize in this case.
This Point() function must be nicely eradicated from the mql language as well as SYMBOL_POINT, and all confusion will disappear.
Because there is a minimal step of price change, it is TickSize !
And what does function SYMBOL_POINT show in your example?
The points? If you think so, you are wrong again.
TickSize is the minimum size of a price step 0.0025 and according to you TickSize is bigger than your point 0.0001 ?
This is mql nonsense.
And this is what EURUSD shows

What are you trying to prove? do you trade with experts? or do you, in general, trade via mt4 or mt5 terminal?

Vitaly Muzichenko:
You could also run on gold or silver. But the thing is that the measurement there is not in pips at all.

and what's in your terminal in profit?

Vitaly Muzichenko:

Once again, the size of a tick is not a point (pips). Neither is a tick itself a point (pips).

Why are you telling me this? Have you read what I'm saying?

• A point is the minimum and indivisible gradation of a quote, returned to MQL by the corresponding Point() function. It always corresponds to the last decimal place.
    It has a corresponding identifier SYMBOL_POINT of the SymbolInfoDouble() function.
  • "Pips" is a slang expression (it does not exist in Russian and is an Anglicism) that comes from the English-speaking segment, and every Russian-speaker interprets it in his own way for some reason, as shown in this branch.
    According to the descriptions - the calculated value that can be obtained using the mathematical calculations in MQL. Any trader can calculate its own pip value in MQL, and use it in accordance with his/her idea of correctness of a value, which in his/her opinion should be displayed by pip.
    The corresponding identifiers and functions in MQL have never had, do not have, and should not have.
  • A tick is an instrument price change event.
  • The tick size is the minimal change of an instrument's price. Often corresponds to a pip, but may or may not have to correspond to the value of a pip. The value can be obtained in MQL.
    It has a corresponding identifier SYMBOL_TRADE_TICK_SIZE of the SymbolInfoDouble() function.

What other basic things should I tell you?

Vitaly Muzichenko:
You could also run it on gold or silver. But the thing is, the measurement there is not in points at all.

What is it? In stiffs?

Aleksandr Klapatyuk:

What do you want to prove? do you trade with experts? or do you, in general, trade via mt4 or mt5 terminal?

Do not use Point(), _Point, SYMBOL_POINT in the sense of its name.
This function is for mathematical calculation, which shows the digit capacity not in total value !
If you want to get the minimum price step, always use TickSize.
And if you want to know the point, find out from the specification of the asset how much TickSize is in one point, and multiply by this number in your code.
This is what everyone doing in forex: TickSize is multiplied by 10, and the Point() function is used to reduce it to integer value.

The Point() function in mql is a mathematical digit of a quote !!! Not a point !!!

Well, or for forex you can multiply Point() by 10, because Point() shows the minimum TickSize value on forex.
But for any other market, you cannot get a true point using the Point() function.
Because in other markets TickSize is not always equal to 0.00001

Reason: