Useful tools - page 17

A specific point, but for owners of "green" WD screws a purely specific one.

The situation is this. Just before the Taiwan epic fiasco (flood) I bought Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green WD20EARS, after which it doubled in price in a moment, but not my luck. Anyway, decided to put it under "data" in the comp. Actually, I have a couple of exactly the same ones in my media player (Ellion), and no problems with them - quiet, cool. So I decided to put the same one in the computer. Well put and put. Already more than two months as put. But the other day decided to watch his health through S.M.A.R.T.. I looked and was horrified: parking meter (parameter 193) gets close to 100 000. Started digging around on the web. It got even worse. Turns out the manufacturer has set the parking timer to 8 seconds idle in the fight for "greenness"! This is the death of the propeller in my use case. I had to modify the firmware. WD has a DOS utility, WDIDLE3.EXE, which allows me to disable parking or set a longer interval for it.

So, I had to make a FreeDos bootable disk with this utility. ISO image attached (had to change extension to zip in order to attach it; after downloading it should be set to iso). Burn, boot to DOS, run WDIDLE3.EXE /d, then turn off your computer. Do not restart, but turn off. That's it, parking is off.

Ugh... It's good that I noticed, but I could have got caught like that...))

Files:
fdoem.zip  952 kb

Svinozavr:

A specific point, but for owners of "green" WD screws a purely specific one.

The situation is this. Just before the Taiwan epic fiasco (flood) I bought Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green WD20EARS, after which it doubled in price in a moment, but not my luck. Anyway, decided to put it under "data" in the comp. Actually, I have a couple of exactly the same ones in my media player (Ellion), and no problems with them - quiet, cool. So I decided to put the same one in the computer. Well put and put. Already more than two months as put. But the other day decided to watch his health through S.M.A.R.T.. I looked and was horrified: parking meter (parameter 193) gets close to 100 000. Started digging around on the web. It got even worse. Turns out the manufacturer has set the parking timer to 8 seconds idle in the fight for "greenness"! This is the death of the propeller in my use case. I had to modify the firmware. WD has a DOS utility, WDIDLE3.EXE, which allows me to disable parking or set a longer interval for it.

So, I had to create a FreeDos boot disk with this utility. ISO image attached. Burn, boot to DOS, run the command WDIDLE3.EXE /d, then turn off the computer. Do not restart, but turn it off. That's it, parking is off.

Ugh... It's good that I noticed, but I could have got caught like that...))

Thanks, that's interesting. I use Segates but a friend of mine is hooked on these greens, I'll have to give him a hint.

For those who like to play with equations and chaotic structures.

http://www.chaoscope.org/download.htm

They draw all sorts of nonsense (beauty) but cannot write a simple program for 4-dimensional visualisation!

I've been using it for a long time, so long that I'd forgotten it's not even part of Windows. I mean TouchFreeze - the autolocker for the touchpad.

I often have to work on a laptop, and there, as you know, is the problem of accidentally touching the touchpad when typing. It's really annoying when you type and type and then you see that you are typing in the wrong place.

In short, this tiny program blocks touchpad for 1-2 seconds, when there is keyboard activity, and number of false touchpad clicks is drastically reduced. It loads like a service and is completely unnoticeable. Except that cursor positioning errors disappear.

I just cut off the touchpad: I don't need it when I have a mouse.

Mathemat:
But I just turn off the touchpad: I don't need it when I have a mouse.

Right - Fn+F7. You can also plug in an external keyboard. Or sit at a desktop. Or hire someone on the jobe.

I often write by sitting in an armchair/couch, with my laptop on my lap.

Svinozavr: Right - Fn+F7. [...]

I often write in an armchair/sofa with my laptop on my lap,

Thanks for the hotkey :) Well, you're probably more used to it. I remember how uncomfortable it was to get used to working without a mouse.

Still, a mouse is more comfortable.

Svinozavr:

Right - Fn+F7. You can also plug in an external keyboard. Or sit at a desktop. Or you could hire someone on the jobe.

I often write in an armchair/sofa with my laptop on my lap,

The Asus ones have a hardware button to turn off the TP. But I have not used it for 2 weeks, because I spilled a cup of coffee on the touchpad and burned the controller)))

alsu: spilled a cup of coffee on the touchpad and burned out the controller)))
Reason: