Errors, bugs, questions - page 41

alexvd:

Your application has been answered. A recommendation has been made.

Why it has not been updated in your profile is up to us.

Application

Errors, MetaTrader 5 MQL, Opened, Started: 2010.07.03 14:51, #17988

Probably it has not been updated as well, please check it.

drknn:

I know the formal logic and the differences in the terms caught my eye immediately. The point is that reading the MQL5 help does not make many things clear. It is clear that the methaquotes have made the terminal available for public access in order to attract the group of beta-testers - this step will save time and money. But giving users a reference that lacks clarity is a big mistake on their part. For example, we open its main section"MQL4 Conversion":

The table gives no information onAsk, Bid and Bars. An attempt to search for the same wordAsk leads to a completely incomprehensible design of requesting the latest prices. Couldn't the developer have foreseen this back then, at the stage of typing this part of the help? Nonsense, why could it happen? The only reason is the lack of systematicness - that is the absence of a clear plan of the future essay. Most likely, the certificate was written in a piecemeal fashion, then the separate pieces were glued together and there you have a "certificate". This is not good for anything. No one likes reading other people's drafts!

To some extent you're right - MQL5 documentation is constantly changing and amending, as well as the MQL5 language itself. And it will be changing for several years to come, as there is a huge amount of things to be implemented. So you suggest that we are creating a new terminal in a vacuum in the laboratory during these few years, without any feedback from our end-users - our clients?

About the most important section.

For example, we open the main section"MQL4 Conversion":

It too has had time to undergo some changes since it was first published, but when the final version will be there is impossible to say. And we can't always look back at MQL4. Study MQL5 and read articles - they really help us to study a new subject.

After installing the new build, my EAs in the folder C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 5\MQL5\Experts disappear. I place them without subfolders - could this be wrong?

icas:
After installing the new build, my EAs in the folder C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 5\MQL5\Experts disappear. I place them without any subfolders - could it be wrong?
Are they completely deleted from the disk?

Renat:
Are they completely removed from the drive?
Renate, I'm sorry! I got confused with computers. I wanted to delete the comment, you've already replied.

Why is the compiler "silent" when compiling the following construct:
ushort SomeFunction(int A, int B)
   {
    ushort res=0;
    ushort id=1000;
    res=(A>B)?id:NULL;  ????? 

return(res);
   }
Everything compiles without errors :)

Kos:
Why is the compiler "silent" when compiling the following construct:
Everything compiles without errors :)
What error were you expecting to see?

stringo:
What error were you expecting to see?

Help explicitly states that "expression2" and "expressionZ" must return values of the same type and must not be of the void type.

Correspondingly, the following construct is incorrect because NULL is of the void type and the compiler should inform you about it, right?

res=(A>B)?id:NULL;  ?????

What's the point of compiling such a construct if it makes it impossible to load an MQL5 program?

NULL is a special constant. "It can be assigned to variables of any other fundamental types without conversion."

That is, in expressions NULL is of expression type, not void type.

If you mean invalid instruction, it's a bug and will be fixed.

Reason: