Big changes for MT4, in a few weeks - page 33

checkin:
Instructions to moderators on metaquotes site is to limit the beta testing to Russian speaking part of the site. Why? Nobody knows

Damage control?

I guess that they are coping with a great number of information that need to be sorted out. If they would take into consideration all the reports about all the observed problems (of which, probably, some are not problems at all) they would be halted in any productive problems (bugs) solving. Maybe they should have done the closed beta testing for a longer time, but then it seems that they were rushing to "close our mouths" (we - users - were becoming rather loud in demands that they keep their promises) and I guess that it all just added to the number of problems they have to solve now

As I said : since I remember how was metatrader start conducted, this all seems astonishingly similar to what was going on then, and unfortunately metatrader 5 is still far from really usable trading platform. I hope that I am wrong, but, if we are to expect the same things that we got for metatrader 5, the future of new metatrader 4 exclusively depends on metaquotes ability to break that pattern of "development" they have established and their ability to deliver stable and bugg-less platform in a reasonable time period

Limit the use of the beta to not look bad to the user community.

So give them time to go fixing bugs.

I think metaquotes have no interest in maintaining full backward compatibility.

Every so often we see that small changes in the construction of the code,

going to go cutting the heritage of ancient codes.

Even though a question "what is the purpose of a new metatrader 4" was never asked and some possible answers are not nice looking at all, I don't think that this time they have some "hidden agenda". Of course that they want to give us an impression that something new is made (every salesman does that same thing) and of course that they want to keep the people talking about metatrader, but this time I think that they are simply paying for a decision taken to fast and without re-thinking how long will it take to make a conversion of a metatrader 4 trading platform to something "new"

Debbuging such platforms is never easy and expecting that it can be done in a no time is an illusion (and this time I am not talking about users, but about the bosses of metaquotes that were expecting a little bit too much in a little bit to short time). The same was with metatrader 5 ... everybody can make its own conclusion comparing the two

So after all, they are doing a damage control. Hasty decisions are number one cause for such huge errors and so much errors and they should have thought about that before the announcement and the promise that they are going to launch a new version. All that is done for money, and when they do it for money, the responsibility for problems is clear

checkin:
Instructions to moderators on metaquotes site is to limit the beta testing to Russian speaking part of the site. Why? Nobody knows

Sorry, can't keep myself from posting this, but - Putin's orders.

One problem with beta seems to be solved : they have changed the way how updates are downloaded and now it seems that it is safe to have beta along with regular versions of metatrader (no risk of unwanted update of regular versions to beta version and no need to delete anything from the WebInstall folder - it is not used any more in the newest builds of the beta version)

One more problem is solved : string parameters keep their values when time frame or symbol is changed

For now iCustom() is unusable - only in cases when no parameter is passed using iCustom() it works, in all other cases it is either causing protection error or the called indicator is repeatedly loaded as if the parameter types are wrong (even when they are not)

And a thing like this : indicator with no name somehow appeared in the list of active indicator (and it is preventing others from working)

Long way ahead of us before we see a stable platform (specially since the problem with string parameters seems to be worse now - in case when there is more than one string parameter in the parameters - now that kind of indicator are unloaded due to "access violation read nnnnn" errors, whatever they means, and then such a "no name" indicators are left in terminal memory)

Files:
no_name.gif  9 kb

And one extremely dangerous thing that is happening in cases like the one above : the "no name" indicator prevented a perfectly correct indicator from executing.

The meaning of that is not obvious at the first glance. The thing that one indicator can interfere with another indicator execution means that we are not safe any more. If that can happen, then how are we going to know what is causing errors in some code when the cause of the error can be external to the executed code? This is a frightening possibility and if it is not solved (the posibility that one indicator can interfere with other indicator work) I am afraid that any kind of trust into a trading platform that allows that is becoming questionable at the least

Reason: