ElectricSavant's™ Challenge - page 26

sticking martingale on anything = mistake ...

TaKiii:
sticking martingale on anything = mistake ...

- even if an EA that employs martingaling has a max. Relative d/d of only 15% over 9 years? The thing about martingaling, and more importantly, its critics, is that one intuitively can see how dangerous 'blind' martingaling can be, so they then go and paint anything and everything that incorporates the 'M' word with the same brush - whereas what they should do is sit down and try to figure out how martingaling may actually be beneficial as part of a wider strategy...

Folks,

I must come clean with you. I have the time...the money...more than one coder has offered their time to me to beat myself with this Challenge™.

now considering all of this...

I cannot beat it.

So do not feel bad...all of you here in tsd....I consider my friends and I realize that some of you work very hard with your EA's and even to try and beat this Challenge™.

There is no arrogance here. I cannot even do it with all of the tools and resources available to me.

Just face it...there is not ONE EA that can never exceed a max intrady DD of 17% from the highest banked balance while trading with a 2:1 Benefit to risk ratio...in any 6 month TimeSlice™

ES

P.S. I invite you to try if you think you can beat it...please send me your forward test results and offical Challenge™

I believe there are EA's that will perform according to your requirements within a 6 month period. However, whether that means they will meet your requirements beyond that is another question.

But seriously, if it were as easy as throwing a few dollars into this effort, wouldn't everyone be doing it? Doesn't everyone want a profitable EA that has minimal risk? Doesn't everyone want to "trade" effortlessly?

I truly hope you find what you are looking for. But I have serious doubts as to whether you will get what you want within the "challenge" format that you have designed. I reserve the right to be wrong. It has certainly happened before. I can only hope that those folks who have no interest in selling their work and who have solid EA's will provide you a copy. But you must be willing to adapt your approach. This doesn't seem to be working and in all fairness the incentive you provide may need to be different to get significant interest.

My feedback was intended to be helpful and gentle. If it was not please forgive the interruption.

saintmo

What do I need to do?

suggestions?

ES

saintmo:
I believe there are EA's that will perform according to your requirements within a 6 month period. However, whether that means they will meet your requirements beyond that is another question.

But seriously, if it were as easy as throwing a few dollars into this effort, wouldn't everyone be doing it? Doesn't everyone want a profitable EA that has minimal risk? Doesn't everyone want to "trade" effortlessly?

I truly hope you find what you are looking for. But I have serious doubts as to whether you will get what you want within the "challenge" format that you have designed. I reserve the right to be wrong. It has certainly happened before. I can only hope that those folks who have no interest in selling their work and who have solid EA's will provide you a copy. But you must be willing to adapt your approach. This doesn't seem to be working and in all fairness the incentive you provide may need to be different to get significant interest.

My feedback was intended to be helpful and gentle. If it was not please forgive the interruption.

saintmo

omelette:
I'd be especially wary of UJ backtest results - at this stage I'm convinced that Metaquotes has added 'exploitable artifacts' to all the data it has available, designed to keep us curve-fitting our EA's to this worthless toss and away from real-market data (and also the reason they removed the Recalculate option imo). And EURCHF, GBPCHF and CHFJPY are just as bad... Below is my effort at making martingaling survivable (0%-ish chance of it blowing anything above $10,000) HOWEVER, it only works with USDJPY, hence my reservations about the quality of the data...

You know.. there's something to be said about this. The guy who won the 2007 MT4 EA championship wrote his EA in another language on a whole different platform, tested, backtested debugged and then once it was clear that the EA was a winner he ported it into MT4 rather then just writing it in MQ4 language in the first place.

We may be waisting our time like you say because the data is too smoothed, incomplete etc.

drgoodvibe:
You know.. there's something to be said about this. The guy who won the 2007 MT4 EA championship wrote his EA in another language on a whole different platform, tested, backtested debugged and then once it was clear that the EA was a winner he ported it into MT4 rather then just writing it in MQ4 language in the first place. We may be waisting our time like you say because the data is too smoothed, incomplete etc.

Yep, but the winner also said in the interview that the reason for going outside the MT platform was because of its non-existent development features (maybe not stated quite so bluntly...) - I was quite surprised that Metaquotes actually left this 'slanderous' comment in...

But there is definitely 'something' wrong with much of the data - EURCHF and GBPCHF being the most blatant offenders, seeming to have offered outrageous good-fortune in the past - and it would be surprisingly easy to add a visually undetectable 'wobble' to any price-series, something that any strategy that would martingale/pyramid/average-own would unwittingly home-in on...

Challenger #3 named ScrewDriver has entered the stage...

All of you are welcome to log-in and follow along at the Bright Ideas Forum.

ES

The blow up of ScrewDriver just three hours later...

Files:

ElectricSavant:
The blow up of ScrewDriver just three hours later...

wow.. you have got to be kidding me.. Was that real money?

You know.. after chasing after this EA and that EA and building and re-building 20 or more of my own including various indicators etc.. The only EA I found that was worth using in a live situation is one that returns less then 62% annually, and it may still be too risky.. Yes boys and girls Get Rich SLOWLY.. is the only way to go.. but hey you know what? Professional Hedge Funds out there who have mathematicians and PHD physicists working for them usually return no more then 20% Annually.

You're a superstar in the hedge fund industry if you can return 20% with no more then a 7% drawdown. Go look at the FT.com careers section, all these big financial companies that require MBA's and PHDs are only looking for 15% return with a 5% drawdown.

The secret to trading and general investing is getting rich slowly! Those people know it, they're aware of it.. They know that returns of 100% or more are unattainable and if they are then the risks must be huge.

ES, I think one of the reasons your having such a hard time finding an EA that meets your challenge requirements is that professional hedge funds with geniuses at work don't return 25% annually. While your trolling a forex forum with dare I say not-geniuses at work. It's kind of like finding a needle in a haystack.

Reason: