SYNERGY Trading Method - page 12

Well Rondo I don't know. That would depend on how I interpret the signal. When I manually trade a system alot of discretion goes into it because I don't take every signal a pair gives just the ones that meet my criteria and I feel have a greater probablity of being successful. Your question is kind of like asking will it rain tommorrow? Good luck trading this week....Tim

Tim, I was addressing your original question about backtesting. If your rules varies, I guess it is quite impossible to backtest and you are right.

amaruenterprise:
Well Rondo I don't know. That would depend on how I interpret the signal. When I manually trade a system alot of discretion goes into it because I don't take every signal a pair gives just the ones that meet my criteria and I feel have a greater probablity of being successful. Your question is kind of like asking will it rain tommorrow? Good luck trading this week....Tim Tim, I was addressing your original question about backtesting. If your rules varies, I guess it is quite impossible to backtest and you are right.

Rondo I apologize for the misunderstanding.... ...Tim

Derk, not sure the best way to code this but my point was just to trade with the 4hr trend; if the 4hr is trending down then trade short, if the 4hr is trending up then trade long. thanks mike

I was away yesterday; just got back. Let me answer several posts in one:

amaruenterprise:
Derk have you back tested it using the daily? I'm curious to what kind of results that would have. This might be just luck because it was my first using this strategy but there were a setup for the eur/cad I think maybe at 8:00 est when the new daily is formed on IBFX so I took it and deposited 211 pips friday before end of session. I'm not the most computer savy person in the world and to be honest do not know how to backtest a strategy or I would have already done so. Thanks for this info....Tim

This is just an indicator as of now. All you have to do to "backtest" is open a chart, press the "Home" hey until the chart stops scrolling (this will get all the available data for that chart from your broker), then with the chart still scrolled back all the way, apply the indicator, then hit the "End" key to go to the most recent part of the chart, and read the total pips.

Mescalito:
Derek,

i found a good setting on the G/Y 4H

the results said 11560 pips for 13489 bars.

Settings for synergyIndicator

and results availible in screen shots.

but dont know if this resembles a good result. considering drawdown. could you survive this?

God's bless

Gerry

Gerry, I think Chris already responded regarding use of the H4 chart. Originally I too thought the H4 would be best, but now I am thinking the H1 or M30.

FXBabe:
someone make an ea please with some trailing stop maybe.

Its in the works, and nearly done.

Chris29:
Thank you, Chrisstoff. In deed, this indicator looks very well. I did some manual backtests with Chaikin's Volatility indicator the last days.

I looked over some charts and it seems that it filters out more losing trades with lower volatility than the Bollinger Expansion...

Derk, is it possible to add this indicator to the trading rules: Buy or Sell only when volitility is > 0?

I think it's really worth to compare them ...

An option to trade only when the Chaikin Volatility Indicator is > 0... Yes, sure. I'm on it.

cochran1:
I would also consider adding a condition that will only place trades in the direction of the 4hr trend. I think everyone would agree that going against the trend has much more risk. Derk, I do not write code but how difficult is it to add a condition that would only place trades after looking at the 4hr trend; check for 2 full 4hr blue bars for long position and check for 2 full 4hr red bars for short position ? thx mike

Trade [long] only when, on an H4 chart, the previous and previous previous candles are both long? Or their Heiken Ashi's are long?

Just want to make sure I understand you... I suspect this will weed out too many good trades, but it's worth a shot.

I will post again when I get these changes done. And hopefully the EA will be done tomorrow as well.

-Derk

This is just an indicator as of now. All you have to do to "backtest" is open a chart, press the "Home" hey until the chart stops scrolling (this will get all the available data for that chart from your broker), then with the chart still scrolled back all the way, apply the indicator, then hit the "End" key to go to the most recent part of the chart, and read the total pips.

Thank you Derk very much appreciated....Tim

cochran1:
Derk, not sure the best way to code this but my point was just to trade with the 4hr trend; if the 4hr is trending down then trade short, if the 4hr is trending up then trade long. thanks mike

Mike:

Therein lies the problem... How precisely do I tell which way it is trending? Using the HA candle instead of price candles might be good.

To tell the trend of the price channel, I do a "scoring" system, looking at the current, previous and previous previous values, like this:

if (MA_Hi_0 > MA_Hi_1) sum++;

if (MA_Lo_0 > MA_Lo_1) sum++;

if (MA_Hi_0 > MA_Hi_2) sum++;

if (MA_Lo_0 > MA_Lo_2) sum++;

if (MA_Hi_1 > MA_Hi_2) sum++;

if (MA_Lo_1 > MA_Lo_2) sum++;

if (MA_Hi_0 < MA_Hi_1) sum--;

if (MA_Lo_0 < MA_Lo_1) sum--;

if (MA_Hi_0 < MA_Hi_2) sum--;

if (MA_Lo_0 < MA_Lo_2) sum--;

if (MA_Hi_1 < MA_Hi_2) sum--;

if (MA_Lo_1 < MA_Lo_2) sum--;

Then if "sum" turns out to be 3 or greater, I call it a long trend; -3 or less and it's a short trend. I suppose I could do something similar for the general trend. Perhaps I should just require the current, previous and previous previous HA candles to be the same colour.

Anyone have a better idea?

-Derk

New Indicator

Hello:

Back in post #65, as usual, is posted the new version with the chaikin indicator and the H4 trend option.

Be sure to D/L the "Chaikin's Volatility_Kalenzo" indicator.

It doesn't seem to increase the pip winnings to use these. But one thing you cannot really tell from the indicator's summary is how large the DD is; certain settings could reduce the drawdown as well as pip count.

Please play with the new version and let me know if you get a better combo of settings.

-Derk

Derk,

Hey. I downloaded your indicators but I do not recieve alerts when HA closes above/below the 5 ma. Was this taken out of the updated indicators?

Thanks

Adam H

Hey Derk, I think going with color for trend may be best but not to sure..

One more thing, I know you have put a lot of time on this but could you add the option of having email alerts for entry conditions ? I may end up using this manually and a page would be nice when a buy or sell trade is set up. thanks

Hey Concran,

Hey. Noticed your around the forums so I wanted to ask you a quick question.

You said you look at the H4 to see the trend and then enter on m15. Then do you exit your position using the exit criteria on the h1 charts?

I have noticed its much easier to trade on the higher time frame because you have less noise. The m15 can be screaming for you to get out but the h1 is telling you everything is fine. Just wanted to get your thoughts on this. Thanks again.

Adam

Reason: