Step Ma EA - page 16

jayjonbeach:
You want to stick to trending pairs, and strong trenders, stay away from AN, and others like it.

Stick to AU, EA, and usually EU, things that move hard and fast, at least for this EA. Even these can have periods of ranging, and if your able, best to remove the bot imho until it passes, at least until there is a filter

M15 is NOT profitable with the version 7 StepEA, not sure which you are using, but see my post, nothing under H1 will work as it is from my testing

Thanks for responding, you could mention me to orient myself in pairs, timeframe and also the version and configuration of the EA that allowed you generate profits over time. Well you tell me that in H1, but could help, maybe climb. Configuration SET EA, in my case I use version 7.

Thank you.

juandiegofx:
Thanks for responding, you could mention me to orient myself in pairs, timeframe and also the version and configuration of the EA that allowed you generate profits over time. Well you tell me that in H1, but could help, maybe climb. Configuration SET EA, in my case I use version 7. Thank you.

I would not trade V7 at all in live account, not even on H1+ in its current form. I did a LOT of testing, and had trouble getting it profitable on those charts much to my surprise, and could not at all on lower TF's.

Keep in mind its a work in progress, it was just created 2 weeks ago, and there are bugs in it and some basic features are not even working.

The main concept is good, it gives very good entry signals, and follows a trend without getting kicked out many times. It needs a Break Even SL, and trailing stop for starters, then we can look at exit options in addition to opposite signal, which sometimes is too late.

mrtools:
Hi Jayjonbeach, Over the weekend did a few more tweaks with the trailing stop if it don't work then will probably start over and rebuild the whole Ea.

Hi. Been thinking about this and would hate to see you have to start from scratch. Maybe we can use the guts of one of the EA's here at the forum, one like a simple MA cross EA or something, that has all the great options like multi-stage time filter (or at least one), BE SL, SL, TS, TP, risk management for bare minimum, all those would be a great start.

Hopefully with this core, we can then just replace the MA cross buy criteria with the Step buy criteria. I'm thinking this would be the easiest and least work solution. Hopefully you know of such an EA here, that is the tricky part, but you have been here a long time and must know of some that are written well maybe even by yourself, or CG etc. (hint, save yourself a core tpl like this for future EA projects, once I know coding better I will do this for sure since pretty much all EA's should have these basic options) I have a core tpl EA from Hopwood, but everything AND the kitchen sink is in it so much more code and stuff than we need.

I have been looking through my collection (have a ton), trying to find such a specimen and testing and so far have not quite found the right one. Sometimes I find one with TS working, but its missing other things etc. Will let you know if I find one

jayjonbeach:
Hi. Been thinking about this and would hate to see you have to start from scratch. Maybe we can use the guts of one of the EA's here at the forum, one like a simple MA cross EA or something, that has all the great options like multi-stage time filter (or at least one), BE SL, SL, TS, TP, risk management for bare minimum, all those would be a great start.

Hopefully with this core, we can then just replace the MA cross buy criteria with the Step buy criteria. I'm thinking this would be the easiest and least work solution. Hopefully you know of such an EA here, that is the tricky part, but you have been here a long time and must know of some that are written well maybe even by yourself, or CG etc. (hint, save yourself a core tpl like this for future EA projects, once I know coding better I will do this for sure since pretty much all EA's should have these basic options) I have a core tpl EA from Hopwood, but everything AND the kitchen sink is in it so much more code and stuff than we need.

I have been looking through my collection (have a ton), trying to find such a specimen and testing and so far have not quite found the right one. Sometimes I find one with TS working, but its missing other things etc. Will let you know if I find one

Try this one it was from a Stoch Ea i modified awhile back it is trading and market hasn't moved enough to see if the trailing is working, but maybe you can try it back testing, has that and an untested break even, has a close on step ma mode by default it is set to true, the close buy and close sell if it is set to 1 should close when the color changes, by default have it set to 3 to make sure the trend has changed. The timefilter should be by GMT time now, and for this Ea to compile you will need TimeGMT in your experts/include file.Eventually i hope to code this include file directly into the Ea's making it an option to use either your brokers time or gmt time for the time filter.

ps) trailing kicked in

Files:
stepmaea_v7.mq4  24 kb
timegmt.mqh  3 kb
sma_trade.gif  21 kb

Step_MA_Expert EA with default settings except MM - MM set to false to trade by fix lot size.

EURUSD:

AUDUSD:

===============

- StepMa_3D Ea_v1 is on this post.

- StepMa_3D EA is on this post.

- the settings of StepMa_3D EA for M15 timeframe is here.

- Step_MA_Expert EA with settings - use this post.

- Step_MA_v7_expert EA is on this post.

- StepMaEa_v7 EA is on this post.

Step_MA_Expert EA with default settings except MM - MM set to false to trade by fix lot size.

EURUSD:

AUDUSD:

And it is StepMa_3D Ea for EURUSD (just to compare):

===============

- StepMa_3D Ea_v1 is on this post.

- StepMa_3D EA is on this post.

- the settings of StepMa_3D EA for M15 timeframe is here.

- Step_MA_Expert EA with settings - use this post.

- Step_MA_v7_expert EA is on this post.

- StepMaEa_v7 EA is on this post.

please help

mrtools:
Try this one it was from a Stoch Ea i modified awhile back it is trading and market hasn't moved enough to see if the trailing is working, but maybe you can try it back testing, has that and an untested break even, has a close on step ma mode by default it is set to true, the close buy and close sell if it is set to 1 should close when the color changes, by default have it set to 3 to make sure the trend has changed. The timefilter should be by GMT time now, and for this Ea to compile you will need TimeGMT in your experts/include file.Eventually i hope to code this include file directly into the Ea's making it an option to use either your brokers time or gmt time for the time filter. ps) trailing kicked in

EA can not start

What can I do?

in Experts say:

2012.09.24 13:53:11 Cannot open file 'C:\Program Files\MetaTrader FIX\experts\indicators\StepMA_v7.ex4' on the EURUSD,M1

I have attached files of and where they are made ​​but do not know where to get the executable that you ask the expert

please

Files:
2_1.png  156 kb
1.png  146 kb

mrtools:
Try this one it was from a Stoch Ea i modified awhile back it is trading and market hasn't moved enough to see if the trailing is working, but maybe you can try it back testing, has that and an untested break even, has a close on step ma mode by default it is set to true, the close buy and close sell if it is set to 1 should close when the color changes, by default have it set to 3 to make sure the trend has changed. The timefilter should be by GMT time now, and for this Ea to compile you will need TimeGMT in your experts/include file.Eventually i hope to code this include file directly into the Ea's making it an option to use either your brokers time or gmt time for the time filter. ps) trailing kicked in

in Experts say:

Files:

I just looked at the image and I see that there is no indicator StepMA_v7 inside your indicators folder of Metatrader directory.

mrtools:

Hi there. First of all, thank you for all your work on this. I played around with this for some time, here are my comments:

1. BE SL was NOT working. Like many other bots with BE SL, it was waiting the right amount of time but then adjusting the SL to the CURRENT price, instead of to the entry price. After spending some time looking over the code, I was able to see where it was going wrong in the logic, and corrected the problem. Attached is the same robot, but the BE SL now works. Note, the gap variable is now not used, and the BE has been hard-coded to adjust the SL to entry plus or minus TWO pips to account for spread. So your choice here just remains how far in profit you want price to move before it kicks in, and you set that as the value in external inputs.

2. TS, not fully tested but I think works correctly!

3. Each tick mode true did not yield any trades, not sure why.

4. With SL set to false, it was still using a SL so must be error in code. This is likely easy to get around by putting the value at 0, I did not test this theory however, at any rate least of the things to worry about can put 500 also to get around this.

5. Code allows up to 3 trades to be entered at one time, I think this is different than prior versions. I had an idea for pyramiding, but I think it is working much differently here, and I found added positions were usually losing in my tests. I can't remember if max lots set to 1 only allows one trade, likely. Note also a buy order was allowed to open even if a sell order was already open, which seemed conflicting and won't work on non-hedge accounts.

-----

The MAIN thing different here is the entry and exit rules. I think you said it is looking 3 candles back to verify trend is really changing, but this also means getting in or out VERY late sometimes, and my tests confirmed this (might be fine for H4 + charts, but not good for smaller TF's imho). Also, prior candles are being compared to each other (if I read code correctly), as I think another member suggested earlier, and this can cause you to miss some moves completely, in hopes of only catching better moves, which won't always work. Furthermore, the same logic was applied to exits and kicked the trader out of trades MUCH too early at times, and yet at other times the trade did not exit when it really would have normally so ignored a Step exit signal completely which I found very concerning.

Having said that, I think there is some potential for this type of logic in the entry and maybe even the exit. Much more testing is needed, and unfortunately I won't have much time in the next few weeks. I do think the logic needs to be changed however from its current form.

---

In summary, this was quite a departure overall from v7 for sure, not sure about the others. I will be trying to stick to v7 for now, for one I am not entirely sure of the exact entry and exit rules here, and I seen some things I did not like in the testing. Will hope to get the TS and BE SL to work on v7, hopefully by using the same code as in this one on it. That or we could use this version and apply the old entry/exit rules here instead of the new ones, but hopefully you or I can make this happen (note, I think YOU have a much better chance than I do!) Once it gets to that point and I can do a bunch of testing, I have a couple good ideas (well 100+ but narrowed down to 2 or 3 ) on how to improve the exit, which I think is all that will be needed.

Of course this is all only my amateur coding opinion, YMMV.

P.S. - Interesting enough I was able to get this version profitable on EU H1, but I think it was luck (time period) as I could not on a few other pairs.

Files:
Reason: