Questions: to start with MetaTrader and forex - page 50

closing partial MT4 short position

Hi,

I find MT4 order-placing to be very unintuitive.

In demo I successfully opened a short position by right clicking chart, click New Order, 0.05 lots, clicked "Sell."

Then I wanted to take some profits. I now know not to open a new order, but to rather right click on the open order, click "close", adjust position to half (0.02) and click big yellow close button.

1. What would happen if on the 'close order' screen I'd hit "buy"?

2. After I successfully close 0.02 of the initial 0.04 by hitting big yellow close button, in account history this order shows as a "Sell" order. Normally, this would be called "buying" (back) from a short position. I find this very confusing, coming from a futures-trading couple of years.

Regards,

B

Editing MT4 title bar

I recently switched brokers and copied several templates, etc, from my old MT4 installation. Everything worked as I had hoped saving me time customizing my charts, but my title bar has my old brokers name on it now.

I'm not a programmer, but figure somebody here could tell me how to switch it back?

How do I edit the title bar for my new MT4 installation?

Thanks in advance!

MP -- buy, sell, long, short, exit, close ?

when i first met MT4, I had come from the stock world and wow, was it different.

for faster results try this --- hit F9 which opens an order slip and fill in what you want with your TP or "take profit" point -- if short, remember to ADD the spread.

if you place your trade WITHOUT a TP and decide to enter one later, simply click on the T/P amount on your trade at the bottom of the page (which will be zero) and enter the amount you wish.

if you hit BUY and not CLOSE, and if the amount on your BUY is the same as your trade, you would close the trade --- if the amount on your BUY is LARGER than your existing trade, you would CLOSE the present trade and have BOUGHT whatever the excess amount is --- ie: you have a short for 1 lot and BUY 2 lots --- this closes the one lot side and opens a one lot LONG. This is often used by "scalpers" to speed the transaction as two things happen with one button.

you will get used to it very quickly of course, but you have BUY (long), SELL (short) and CLOSE which closes EITHER a buy or sell.

enjoy and trade well

mp

bracca:
Hi,

I find MT4 order-placing to be very unintuitive.

In demo I successfully opened a short position by right clicking chart, click New Order, 0.05 lots, clicked "Sell."

Then I wanted to take some profits. I now know not to open a new order, but to rather right click on the open order, click "close", adjust position to half (0.02) and click big yellow close button.

1. What would happen if on the 'close order' screen I'd hit "buy"?

2. After I successfully close 0.02 of the initial 0.04 by hitting big yellow close button, in account history this order shows as a "Sell" order. Normally, this would be called "buying" (back) from a short position. I find this very confusing, coming from a futures-trading couple of years.

Regards,

B

Question - regarding line angle measurement

Is there any type of indicator that will measure the angle of of a line on a chart ?

For example, if I place my pointer on a specific place on a line and then to see the angle degree displayed ?

OR anything similar along that line ?

insert - lines - trendline by angle

Pava:
insert - lines - trendline by angle

Thanks !

That will work.

I went out and bought a swing arm protractor to hold up to the charts and eyeball it, LOL. But this will work much better.

EmeraldDruid:
Thanks !

That will work.

I went out and bought a swing arm protractor to hold up to the charts and eyeball it, LOL. But this will work much better.

UR welcome...I still prefer swing arm protractor:)...

Combine 2 indicator into single

Can anyone tell me how to combine two indicators into single indicator? I want to combine MA(5,12) and Parabolic SAR as a new indicator named "Combo".

Thanks.!

where is the best place to learn about the FOREX market to become a trader?

Forex is traded much like any other financial instrument, using a combination of fundamental and technical analysis.

If you'd like to learn how to become a successful forex trader, consider a professional forex training course. FOREX.com is pleased to offer multiple forex training options that teach investors how to:

Understand the logic behind Forex trading

Recognize market trends

Develop a forex trading plan

Utilize tools to help you manage risk

React to major economic events impacting global currencies.

asking for help

Dear all,

Can anyone could teach me how to combine 2 indicator together. Coz i really want to know how to do that. Or someone can plz do that to me.

--i want to combine parabolic SAR (0.1,0.11) together with MACD (5,8,9).

I'm using metatrader 4. Tq

Reason: