The Simba Con Man - page 26

Gentlemen,

I'm not for sure how much i can post in one post. So, this may linger on for a few posts. Attached are the 2 indicators i spoke about. I am by no means a coder. I'm sure they could be coded much better to include extern variable where you could specifiy what snake length to use. What i have gets the job done though. Make sure you have the snake indy in your file folder. CL Slope2 codes off of CL Slope 2. Also attached is a MTF version (which comes in very handy). To keep things simple, i'll offer an explanation in this post. The posts after this will be some notes i've noticed, some trading ideas, some results that i've had in trading, etc. I'm hoping this will turn into a guide for modern day Hurst methods ( please read the book though...i dont' think we should waste time discussing that here).

You can simply go into the code of CL Slope and change the paramters of the length of the code. Right now its set to 14 and 28. 7 and 14 provide much quicker results, but finding dominant cycles is our goal. ( This is for GBPJPY). You can use 56 as well, or any combination above.

The next post will go into some pictures and some explanations.

cl

Files:
cl_slope.mq4  2 kb
cl_slope2.mq4  2 kb

Now then, we know that the snakes recalculate ( lets not use the term repaint....recaculating is what we want them to do afterall...repainting sounds like there are "mistakes"). If we are at time 0 (i.e. current bar), the snakes are calculating, hence CL Slope is calculating. As we move on to the next bar, the snakes recalculate for the current bar and the one we just got done with. So, CL Slope will do the same. I'm not for sure how many bars back this happens? Anyways, CL Slope2 also will recalculate.

To summarize, as a cycle is turning, it's hard to visualize with the snakes how it is occuring ( at least it is for me somewhat). What CL slope tries to do is calculate the diff between the 2 snakes. AS they recalculate, CL Slope will to. As the slope indy starts to turn and head up, the snakes have turned and are heading up. The snakes are approaching one another, hence the slope indicator is getting closer to zero. When the lines cross, CL Slope crosses zero. Makes sense!

Now then, slope 2 is the change in CL Slope. What is the degree in which the slope is changing. Let's pretend we are driving a car. If there is a turn 100 meters in front of you, and you aren't slowing down, you will continue to approach the object at a constant speed. If we let up off the gas, our acceleration will start to decrease somewhat. If we couldn't see and we were in the passenger car, our senses would be telling us " we must be getting close to something". As you start to apply the brake, this feeling would increase substantially. We haven't made the turn yet, but our abililty to judge when the turn is going to happen and to make the turn increase dramatically when we get closer to the turn. AFter we make the turn we accelerate again. I apoligize for the wordy and dumb example, but i just want to make sure we are all on board.

Now i would love to post all of these examples and claim this to be the end all strategy, but the problem is these indicators do in fact reCALCULATE. Please view the attached two pictures to show the same time frame in 2 different environments. "Before refresh" shows the indicators as the paint live. Notice how jagged they are. WE would expect this. AS the snakes recalculate, the diff between the lines is recalculating. The acceleration is recalculating. After refresh shows the indicators during the same time frame as if they were just added. Notcie how smooth and "perfect" they are.

More to come.

cl

Snake indicator is an indicator that caused a lot of confusion and misunderstanding

If it was called it's real name maybe, just maybe, all that confusion could have been avoided.

Snake is a centered triangular moving average with one way of calculating the last HalfPeriod bars values. Attached an indicator that is much simpler (coding) and thus much easier to understand what does it do. Values are the same for the two indicators

Simba i don't mean to hijack your thread, but i'm sure you understand the multiple posts.

To continue.....These are just some notes and thoughts that i have. I'm hoping this will spur conversation and debate. Here are some thoughts that i have regarding how i have been using these indicators ( 2 days young, but again for conversation).

1. I think it is imperitave to use multiple time frames. I do not think you should attempt to trade a single time frame. You are setting yourself up for failure in my honest opinion.

2. The 1hr/4hr i think shoudl be your "trend". You can trade against it, but you have to be careful. I think trend directional trades are more safe. AGain, just my opinion, this isn't law.

3. When your long time frame matches your short time frame, your entry becomes much safer. See #2 above.

4. I personally love trading in the direction of the 1hr and 5 min using a 1 min entry. Again, that's just me.

In terms of some technical aspects with the indicators, my picture i first posted regarding this shows some "basics".

We can estimate our profite target using CL Slope and Slope 2.

1. CL Slope 2 will always lead CL Slope accross it's respective zero line. ( one caveat would be when cl slope stays above the zero line, heads down, but turns back up before crossing zero...).

2. Slope2 crossing the zero line is our "bottom" ( perhaps we should use base...we aren't trying to PICK tops and bottoms...we are trying to estimate them for the purposes of risk management and trade management).

3. From the base, we can estimate the move by calculating when CL Slope crosses zero. In the attached pic, 145 pips is the difference between the base and midpoint. Add 145 Pips to the midpoint, and you have a projection.

4. Do the same thing to the upside, again another projection.

5. The projections won't always work. When the snake lines get close to one another, and dont seperate they won't work well for projecting. When we have a large divergence between the snake lines, the cycles are easier to spot and project. When they stay intertwined and close, it becomes much more difficult. This is when you can use another set of slopes and perhaps use quicker snake lines for smaller projections. Again, multiple time frames help to so you stay on the right side of the trend.

Files:

In any event, i just wanted to take some time and post some thoughts/indies/etc. In 2 days, using Multiple time frames and taking trend directional trades, i captured 484 pips on GBPJPY with 6 trades. My take profit was the projection i made. This was demo of course. I used mostly 1 and 5 minute charts for entry, always keeping the hour chart in place for the trend. I don't believe this is an EA, a "strategy"...etc...I believe this is an method to help us read the markets. This is a way to help us interpret the only thing that is really important - Price Action ( volume is important too...i'm sure that will come later on in our discussions).

Let's keep this thread going.

Best,

cl

mladen:
Snake indicator is an indicator that caused a lot of confusion and misunderstanding

If it was called it's real name maybe, just maybe, all that confusion could have been avoided.

Snake is a centered triangular moving average with one way of calculating the last HalfPeriod bars values. Attached an indicator that is much simpler (coding) and thus much easier to understand what does it do. Values are the same for the two indicators

Same problem as with Center of gravity .

from my first observation - snake and triangular going with the zero bar, very hard make estimation (same with several, overlay) - may be use slope, and 1,2-nd bar? (i didn't check Clahn04 method yet)

fxbs:
from my first observation - snake and triangular going with the zero bar, very hard make estimation (same with several, overlay) - may be use slope, and 1,2-nd bar? (i didn't check Clahn04 method yet)

I've never went with zero bar (i.e. current bar). It's too likely to change. I usually wait 2-4 or more, watching the snake lines themselves as well to turn. The slopes mean nothing without the context of the snake lines. I also think the MTF's are a must. It helps to provide more context as well ( just looking for an edge). My hope is that trades will begin to be posted here as they happen live so we can see if their is any value in this method. Like i said, i've messed with it only 2 trading days which is hardly something to rely on.

All the best,

cl

mladen:

mladen,

Thanks for the comments,coming from a person whose work I respect I will take them seriously enough as to ask you why do you think

your indy is better than actual snakes,which,if I am not mistaken are based on Linear Weighted mas...centered...not on triangular mas.

Thanks for your indicator too.

I don`t have any problem about using snakes,your indy or just the "old" centered smas with half span delay and projections of potential crossover...But I want to be sure that what I use is the easier and faster way to detect a change in cycle phase,until now,snakes have proven to be the faster and more accurate tool...the fact is that you can trade on them,so,it will be extremely helpful if we could switch to an even better method,and,in order to do so,some explanation of your indicator advantages would save non coders like me long hours trying to understand the differences between the 2 methods.

mladen:

Hi Mladen,

This indicator repaints....I follow some of your postings and you seem to be a person with credibility.

So I don't understand the reason to post an indicators that repaints.

A lot of newbies don't even understand what repainting means and here we will go again as with the Yu4rik and solar wind indicator that will cause an endless amount of useless postings and filling this forum up with stupid postings or topics that wil ask...: What do you think about this indicator ?...or Do you like this indicator as much as I do ?....Or, I made a very profitable system based on this indicator.....

regards..iGoR

PS. 95% of the non-repainting indicators are already totaly useless....so whats the point of even posting beautifull repainting indicators that are even more useless then the most useless non-repainting indicator.

Reason: