Phoenix 2007 (new thread) - page 46

Congratulation & beginners question

Hendrick:
Timeframe is M15

I have very basic question. If I leave Prefsettings on yes, then timeframe will automatically be 15 min, correct?

Can I drop Phoenix on 60min chart and trades will still be executed based on 15min time frame, correct?

Or, I drop Phoenix on 15 min chart and later (for viewing) I change time frame to 60 min - Phoenix will still execute trades based on 15 min time frame as long as I don't change prefSettings and leave them on 'Yes", correct?

I just want to be sure i will be doing everything correct.

Now about contest. Congratulation for the first place!

I hope you will win. You deserve it. If there is any justice in the world, you should win, for all your sharing!

"what goes around, comes around"

Question for all testers and Hendrick, which version shows better results with forward testing, contest version or 4.2?

By the time, new contest will be in place, you will have winning AE for it

alamanjani:
I have very basic question. If I leave Prefsettings on yes, then timeframe will automatically be 15 min, correct?

Can I drop Phoenix on 60min chart and trades will still be executed based on 15min time frame, correct?

Or, I drop Phoenix on 15 min chart and later (for viewing) I change time frame to 60 min - Phoenix will still execute trades based on 15 min time frame as long as I don't change prefSettings and leave them on 'Yes", correct?

I just want to be sure i will be doing everything correct.

No. As seen on the code, the timeframe used is 0. This means that the EA uses the chart's timeframe. No matter the Prefsettings(true or false) the EA will always use the timeframe of the chart on which it is attached.

So, don't change the timeframe of the chart. Keep it M15.

You can always open another chart with M60 just for viewing.

Bye.

Hendrick, you have really out done yourself. Thank You!

However, I have a quick question. Does a maximum risk of .1 mean as 10:1 leverage?

Thanks again for this awesome EA. I wish you the best on the EA championship.

-Sean

Great Going Hendrick

First of all, great to see you at the top of the contest. Congratulations indeed!

Here are my results for October up until now, trading live, IBFX mini

CHFJPY 4 Trades 3 Win 1 Loss +41pips

EURJPY 6T 5W 1L +126

EURUSD 8T 3W 5L -294

GBPJPY 13T 11W 2L +292

GBPUSD 9T 7W 2L +125

USDCAD 10T 4W 6L -152

USDCHF 12T 7W 5L -53

USDJPY 8T 6W 2L +81

net +166 pips

I'll continue on with profitable pairs, other pairs I'll assign 0.01 lot just to keep stats.

very very good

very very nice our boss big boss

pref settings

Hi Hendrick,

Good job on the contest ... you got "lucky" on two NFP days so far!!! Nice $$$ as a result of this!!!

I've been looking at the code and it looks like you have been a busy chap last weekend. A lot has changed between this version and last version, but what I wanted to say is that I like your coding style ... neat and clean ... and more importantly, you can actually read and follow it. I'd be willing to bet that you must have a programming vein running somewhere through your body.

Anyway, enough chit chat ... getting back to Phoenix.

I want to set up a couple of demo runs on a couple of brokers (FXDD, NEXT & maybe Space FX) but am having a hard time coming to grips with the new settings. You have added a fair amount of new options, most if not all are related to order taking and protecting account value.

If I use the PrefSettings=true then should I be worrying about those extra settings? For example will the new BreakEvenAfterPips come into effect? What about the other order related settings? Do they have defaults? If not, do you have recommendations for these values? (especially in mode 2 & 3)

Also, I'd like to measure the pip generation capability of the EA, therefore I'm not going to run this with MM=true. Do you have any objections to this? Would this be the best way to actually measure what I'm after?

And, I'd like to get a better understanding of what modes 2 & 3 are. Do you have a better explanation?

- In mode 2, is the second trade in the same direction as original?

- In mode 3, do the entry prices vary for each order?

- In mode 3, do the lots stay the same each part order?

Lastly, I wanted to help out with finding the "settings" for the other pairs. Do you have a methodology for this? or is it simply trial and error using Strategy Tester in MT4.

Sorry to dump so many questions at once on you. Have a nice weekend. I'd like to set these runs up this weekend so that they are ready for next week market open.

Thanks a lot for you help.

cucurucu:
No. As seen on the code, the timeframe used is 0.

So, don't change the timeframe of the chart. Keep it M15.

Good that I've asked. Thank you, Cucurucu!

MM sugestion

Me again ... I wanted to ask you about the LotsOptimized function. I've noticed that it hasn't changed much since last version, still based on AccountFreeMargin().

What I have been thinking about is what are you thoughts about making it based on AccountEquity()?

If you trade this EA on the full set of currencies then you may have up to 12 orders open (in v4.2). No objections to that, in fact it's quite good as it gives you diversification over the pairs, and when there is no major market moves then orders come and go and the lot size remains fairly constant between orders. The margin remains at around 150%-200%. However when you get major days like NFP then the market swings wildly and it make take out your half of your orders and all of a sudden your margin jumps up to 500%-700% and then when you take on new orders you unnecessarily take on larger lot sizes (larger risk) when your account hasn't actually grown in equity to justify a larger position. Now if your orders actually TP then your are sweet, but if your orders SL, then you are loosing equity unnecessarily which you wouldn't have if you based your MM on equity. This behavior of the EA is especially apparent when you start up with a clean account where your margin is maximum because you have no open orders.

(That's the reason for me wanting to turn off MM in my previous post)

What do you think?

This would also mean that your MaximumRisk setting would actually reflect the account value, which is what you had probably intended?

Time for me to hit the sack ... it's way past my bed time!

Congratulations on the #1 spot!!!

Way to go Hendrick! I reset my demo account and reloaded Phoenix on Monday with usdjpy only. $50,000 demo acct is now $53,000+ on three trades. A lot better than my first forward demo on all of those pairs. I'll be setting up the backtest on version 5 by Sunday and report by the end of the week unless something incredible happens. Phoenix is just so darned consistent - that's the ticket in this game.

As Sashken now knows, "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes!" Come to think of it......the scenery never changes for people like vykhukholev either! lol

daraknor:
It is a classic argument, and I lived a few miles from Intel. I debated processor architecture with engineers actively working at Intel. After the Itanic 2 they went the same way AMD did. Intel sometimes has better benchmarks, AMD sometimes has better benchmarks. For the same money I pushed several companies to order AMD servers that did work 3-5x as fast as Intel machines. Please note, I said *same money*. The performance of AMD64 on Windows-64 is crippled by MS but two things are always good though: on chip memory controller, more registers to fill with data. I doubt MT4 is disk bound. We can debate raid levels all day in private (advantage of RAID 55 over 0+1 5, etc) but my suggestions for building a new box to people who want backtesting: No RAID0, AMD. For desktops, RAID1, JBOD, RAID0 is my preference. My preferences, my recommendations, that's all. Back to the code!

daraknor,

I just finished setting up the new computer and it looks like the RAID 0 setup has a much higer performance than a single drive.

I ran passmark on the single drive setup that came with the PC on a fresh install of windows.

For the single drive setup the results were;

Sequential Read = 83.8 MBytes/Sec.

Sequential Write = 80.6 MBytes/Sec.

Random Seek + RW = 5.5 MBytes/Sec.

With the RAID 0 setup the results were;

Sequential Read = 165.3 MBytes/Sec. (97% improvement)

Sequential Write = 159.1 MBytes/Sec. (97% improvement)

Random Seek + RW = 9.0 MBytes/Sec. (63% improvement)

As I thought and have seen in my professional experience the RAID 0 setup nearly doubled the hard drive read/write performance of my computer.

I can't wait to start testing, perfect timing with the release of Phoenix 5 thanks Hendrick

Altapowder

Files:
raid_0.gif  93 kb
Reason: